The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 12, 2010, 05:16 PM   #1
BaDgErFaN

Traveling w/ guns

I'm going to be flying to a family members house in another state and want to bring my pistols. I checked with the airline and they said guns just have to be in checked luggage, in a locked case, and you have to notify them at the counter when checking your bags that you have a gun. Im just a little nervous about the whole process and having my guns floating around w/ the baggage handlers. I was wondering if anyone could tell me some personal experiences flying w/ checked guns. Also, are there specific types of cases that are required to keep your guns in, or will any hard case do? Thanks a lot!!
Old March 12, 2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Kiawah

Same

Often wondered the same.

And does the case come down the luggae belt with all the other baggage.....hoping that nobody else walks off with it?
Old March 12, 2010, 06:13 PM   #3
model18

I fly with mine all the time and it's a snap! The airline agent after checking them out will walk your baggage over to the secure TSA guys, who scan it. When it gets to the other end of your trip there is "usually" an airline rep there with your bag, so I'm not sure if the reg. baggage handlers ever touch it. Never had a problem in all the yrs. I've flown with my weapons.
Old March 12, 2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Daryl

When I went to Alaska back in '04, they "misplaced" all of our baggage on the way home. This included two rifles and my handgun.

They brought my baggage, including my firearms, to my house about 8 hours after I landed. They used a courier service to bring them the 60 miles to my house, and they were unsecured in the back of his truck.

The driver was obviously shaken at delivering an obvious firearm in a hard case, and seemed overjoyed to be rid of it.

But, I guess all's well that ends well. I got all my stuff back, and it was all in good shape when I did.
Old March 12, 2010, 06:58 PM   #5
jcowan

I bring mine with me whenever I fly. Each airport and airline is different but a few things are consistent. First, the gun must be in a locked box, I use a small Pelican case just big enough for the weapon and 2 empty mags. The ammunition must be in a box "designed for that Ammunition". I use the box that the ammo came in. This must be in your suitcase, not in the locked box with the weapon. When you get to the ticket counter state "I need to declare a firearm". They will fill the firearms declaration tag out give it to you, now, depending on which airport, either a Port Authority Police or TSA will check that the weapon is empty, put the tag in the box with your gun and have you lock it and put the box in your suitcase. In one airport, they sent it straight to TSA and had me wait while TSA scanned my suitcase. In any case, this never took more than 10 minutes. In all cases at the other end my bag comes out on the carousel with everyone elses. Never had a problem and never has it taken more than a total of 10 or 15 minutes. One ticket agent wanted to put the firearms declaration tag on the outside of my bag, I politely asked her to ask the TSA and they told her to put it inside out of view. Don't be intimidated, it is quick and painless.
Old March 12, 2010, 07:26 PM   #6
EdInk

I would ship them ahead to your relative's house. My experiences with TSA have proven that they are both idiots and thieves.
Old March 12, 2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Rail

Unless your relative is an FFL holder, you can't. I too have traveled this way many times and never run into problems. There can't be any ammo in the cases and there is a limit to the number of firearms in any one case - I think two of each, and thought the case must be locked they almost always have me open it, and they have the right to check to see if they are loaded, then they seal them and lock them. You get them on the other side at the TSA pickup and that's about it. I have never had them inside another bag, always by themselves in a rifle case, two of each - a largish case...
Old March 12, 2010, 08:21 PM   #8
jcowan

Since in your post you stated "pistols" My answer was only for pistols. I have never travelled with long guns but my bag is always on the carousel with everyone elses. Never a problem. If you want, after you put the locked box in your suitcase, you can lock that also. Just make sure that you are legal in BOTH states. If you are don't sweat it. It is a little intimidating the first time, after you see how easy it is you will bring it everywhere.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:35 PM   #9
EdInk

You can send them to a gun shop near their house.

......... Or just get a hard case that the unloaded guns could fit in, lock it, put it in a Fed Ex box and overnight priority ship it to their house with a signature required. It will cost less than the airlines will charge for it.

I have seen hard rifle cases rotating on luggage pick-ups. Do what you want.
Old March 12, 2010, 08:56 PM   #10
Daryl

Quote:
......... Or just get a hard case that the unloaded guns could fit in, lock it, put it in a Fed Ex box and overnight priority ship it to their house with a signature required. It will cost less than the airlines will charge for it.
My understanding is, or it used to be...

You can send rifles in this manner to yourself, C/O the person at the other end, but you have to be the one that opens the package on the other end.

But handguns have to be sent FFL-to-FFL. You can't mail them that way across state lines legally, and I'm pretty sure it's a felony if you're caught.

When I flew to/from Alaska, my handgun was in a locked hard case, then locked in my luggage. They did inspect all the firearms before we got on the plane, but didn't charge anything extra for it.

The rifles were sent as my 2nd bag, so no extra charge there, either.

Depending on the airline, it really is a fairly simple process.

Daryl
Old March 12, 2010, 09:11 PM   #11
41mag10mm

Here is the TSA page dealing with transporting firearms when you fly.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm
Old March 12, 2010, 09:18 PM   #12
mikejonestkd

Make sure that you are allowed to posses the pistols in the state that you are traveling to....for example, don't even think of bringing them to NYS...
Old March 12, 2010, 09:18 PM   #13
88KEYS

One of the few benefits of being Retired civilian LEO, is HR-218 that if you meet some requirements can carry nationwide. I have been told that if you take the FAA course, you can carry concealed on the plane, with the pilots consent. I have not done that have traveled out of State carrying under this Law.

I mention this because I have spoken with current and Retired LEO.s and one thing has been made very clear. As someone has said the TSA crew is not Law Enforcement, do not allow them to handle your weapon past a look to see if it is stored properly. The cops have said, if they want to go beyond that have a LEO come over and handle your weapon.
Old March 12, 2010, 09:31 PM   #14
Stuohn

Just flew from Chicago to Houston in January (A year in Illinois was enough) w/ Southwest. Had both my M&P .40 and G23 with six mags all inside my M&P case locked with a cheap family dollar padlock. This was then put in my suitcase with a box of WWB 100. Note: All mags were loaded but none were inside the guns. Informed counter person who took me down the line to TSA guy who was cool about everything. He even asked if I wanted to throw the pocket knife I had clipped to my pocket in the bag. I also had to fill out two small slips of paper. I think one was with me and the other was in the case but, dont really remember.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:09 AM   #15
EdInk

I don't know if it is different for pistols than rifles. However, if using FedEx or other private shipping company. They don't ask what is in the box. If the do you reply "sporting goods" and that's all you have to do. At least that's how it was years ago.
Old March 13, 2010, 07:39 AM   #16
blume357

Already getting deep here with mis-information and getting off subject.

I hate it when folks do this to me... but the search function on this forum will help you a lot. In the mean time....

Yes you can check your pistols in at the airport check in counter... TSA will then show up and make sure they are secure. You then (best choice) put the container with the pistols AND AMMO in your luggage.

It will take a good pistol case that has a lock on it. The ammo must be in a boxed or secured so it is not loose but can be in the container with the pistols. Some TSA agents will accept the ammo in magazines (as long as they are not in the gun of course) but others want it to be in a factory box.

It is not really a big deal as long as you follow the rules. Don't think the airline will not know you have a gun checked in your baggage or anyone else who has access to the airlines computers.... but then if you look at how much stuff is being moved and how fast... you really got more important things to worry about... like who made the underwear on the guy sitting beside you.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:10 AM   #17
oldluke

Well, I got to start somewhere, so Hi everybody and thank you for all the very good information on this site.

Quote:
I would ship them ahead to your relative's house. My experiences with TSA have proven that they are both idiots and thieves.
I agree with you, but the rules around firearms are tight. A fellow photographer actually packed one small cheap revolver whenever he could in the same case with very expensive photographic equipment, because of the extra attention this packages are given. He didn't carry ammo, nor did he carry the revolver once arrived, its sole purpose was to highten the security level of the case. Never had a problem.
Old March 13, 2010, 10:57 AM   #18
BaDgErFaN

Wow, thank you all so much for all of the information! This site truly is a great resource. Glad to hear most of you have had good experiences flying with your guns. That makes me a little more comfortable about the whole process.
Old March 13, 2010, 11:22 AM   #19
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInk
You can send them to a gun shop near their house.
And if they are pistols, now he has lost them, because the FFL cannot transfer them to an out of state resident. If his family chooses to redeem them for him, they will have to do a 4473 and NICS background check and pay for the transfer fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail
Unless your relative is an FFL holder, you can't
Referencing shipping guns to yourself c/o another person in another state...whether they are pistols or rifles...it is perfectly legal to do so...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...rms-additional

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInk
I don't know if it is different for pistols than rifles. However, if using FedEx or other private shipping company. They don't ask what is in the box. If the do you reply "sporting goods" and that's all you have to do. At least that's how it was years ago.
And that, since the firearms are being shipped out of state to a non-FFL, is a Federal felony.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/1...2----000-.html

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped
Old March 13, 2010, 04:01 PM   #20
swinokur

Don't forget that the lock you use on your gun case must be a lock ONLY you have the key to. TSA locks are not approved for use on gun cases. You may use a TSA lock on the luggage your gun is in however.

I just use a nylon wire tie on my luggage. TSA has cut the locks off so many times I was going broke buying replacements. Not any more.
Old March 13, 2010, 06:25 PM   #21
gearchecker

It all boils down to this. It's a bit long but 100% relevent.

I've flown my guns a few times and found that each airlines handles firearms differently. Just follow the rules and you will be surprised how easy it is to take your guns with you when you vacation.

It's very easy to fly with handguns. Go to the airlines website and follow their rules. Get the rules for each and every airlines you will be flying on as your departure airline. If in doubt call the airlines customer service department and ask. They are very friendly and always willing to help you out. they won't be alarmed by your questions. They hear them every day.

Lock it in a hard case with non TSA locks (a plastic pistol case that is locked is acceptable. Like a Plano brand pistol case,).
It must be checked in by itself, or inside your check baggage. You may fly ammo in your checked baggage with your guns, but check with the airlines to find out the limits (previous statement edited). Depending on the airlines it may or may not be shipped in the same case with your handguns, read the rules you will know.

Declare that you have packed a firearm in your baggage verbally (but quietly) when you go to the check-in counter.
The counter agent will advise you on their exact procedures at that airport.
Most airports handle firearms transportation differently, depending on the security requirements there.

Federal law requires that a signed firearms declaration tag is placed inside your checked baggage, and not inside the pistol case. If TSA or another authority opens your baggage for inspection of the contents, they must be able to see that a firearm has been declared without having to open your pistol case. Most airlines will tape your declaration tag onto the top of your pistol case so it doesn't end up slipping off and getting misplaced inside your luggage. It is in their interest to protect your contents in this case.

It is also illegal for an airlines or TSA to mark your baggage on the outside in any manner that would indicate that a firearm is in the baggage, by using an identifying mark, tag or other method that can be visually identified. This ruling is courtesy of the California State Supreme Court and upheld by the US Supreme Court.

The odds are high that TSA will pull your luggage and open your bags to verify that a declaration tag is present and the guns are secured properly.
Once your guns are discovered inside of your baggage, by either a gunpowder sniffer or by x-ray. It will be opened by TSA to make sure of the contents.
I've always had my bags opened by TSA when a gun was in it. TSA will leave a note inside your bag indicating they had been in your bag for an inspection.
According to the TSA and Northwest Airlines the Firearms Declaration tag cannot be seen by X-Ray, contrary to common belief.

TSA will not open your pistol case unless it is absolutly necessary. They don't want to mess with it if it's already been verified as secure.

NEVER try to transport a firearm in your carry on luggage, you will lose your flight and your weapon too. You may face prison time if caught.

Unless you are taking a large quantity of firearms and ammo there is no reason to ship it thru FedEx or UPS. The cost of using them to ship your guns is outrageous.

And lastly, don't ever try to ship a firearm by a common carrier without properly declaring it, and paying for the appropriate shipping/handling charges. It is against Federal law to ship a firearm without properly declaring it and shipping it according to Federal laws. Even common carriers shipments get examined every once in a while.
http://www.corneredcat.com

Last edited by gearchecker; March 13, 2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Error in statement, concerning ammo limits
Old March 13, 2010, 07:16 PM   #22
Jim March

Right here is EVERYTHING you need to know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc

Language is a bit salty at times...look past that though, this is very good stuff, the "inside details" on how it works.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:08 PM   #23
swinokur

Quote:
Lock it in a hard case with non TSA locks (a plastic pistol case that is locked is acceptable. Like a Plano brand pistol case,).
It must be checked in by itself, or inside your check baggage. You may fly up to 40 Lbs of ammo in your checked baggage with your guns. Depending on the airlines it may or may not be shipped in the same case with your handguns, read the rules you will know.
Be very careful when quoting weight allowances for ammo. United only allows 11 lbs of ammo. Alaska air allows 50 pounds. Check each airlines web site for maximum weight allowances. There is no hard and fast rule. Each airline can be different as I pointed out. It would be a shame to show up for a United flight with 40 lbs of ammo Because 29 pounds would not go on the plane using the 40 lb. allowance quoted.
Old March 13, 2010, 09:04 PM   #24
gearchecker

My error is acknowledged. I'm going to correct my initial post.
Thanks for the catch!
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old March 14, 2010, 07:55 AM   #25
jcowan

An earlier post stated that the tag goes in your bag and not in the pistol case. That is technically correct. There are 2 copies of the tag and I have one put in with the weapon before I lock it. I may sound a little paranoid, but if the tag comes up missing from in my bag, I can open the case if needed and prove that it was declared. The ticket agents have always been fine with that.