The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 11, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
MontyCop05

S&W 460 For hunting...Which Model?

Hey guys, recently got back from a Texas Hunting trip for wild boar. Took one with my Remmy 700 in 300 Win Mag. Next trip I plan on taking one with a .460. I also maybe going for bear in Sept with it as well. I'm starting my research now, and I'm trying to decipher between the models S&W offers. Can any of you that have owned, own, or used one for hunting, shed some light on this. S&W offers the .460V(5"0), .460XVR Revolver (8 3/4"), .460XVR Hunter, and the.460XVR Compenstated Hunter. I'm mainly just trying to see the differences between the XVR hunter, and XVR compensated hunter models. Obviously one is compensated, however I'm looking for real user feedback on which is the better choice. I mean I'm going to have to live with it because at around $1,200 big ones, I won't be buying 3 of them...
Old March 11, 2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Scrapperz

I like the 460XVR 8 3/8". For me it's easier to handle quickly and has a long enough barrel on it for those long shots.

Old March 11, 2010, 12:46 PM   #3
davlandrum

+1 to Scrapperz

I did not consider either of the hunter models, because I could not imagine using a sling.

So, without a compensator it would be a lot easier on the ears when hunting. The compensator on the regular XVR makes it a lot nicer to shoot, recoil-wise, but it is one loud boomer. At the range I wear muffs over plugs.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old March 11, 2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Flapjack23

+2. 8 3/8 model is a good versatile, not too big model. No need to go to extreme, it will do all you need (with a good scope).

Andy
Old March 11, 2010, 08:39 PM   #5
MontyCop05

Quote:
I did not consider either of the hunter models, because I could not imagine using a sling.
I could care less about the sling myself. I wouldn't be using it, so if I wetn with a hunter model I'll just remove the hardware.

The XVR Hunter is nice because it has the lower rail for mounting a pod should I choose too, but its not compensated. The other VXR is just the opposite; compensated with no lower rail. Plus both are quite long...
Old March 11, 2010, 08:58 PM   #6
kayakersteve

I went with the 5 incher - That's long enough for me

The 5 inch is well balanced and still managable for all day holster carry - To me this is a plus if doing extensive hiking in bear country or if you want to use as a back up gun in bear country. Going to the 8 3/8 or longer and carry is more problematic for me and I would just as soon lug a long gun instead. Just my thoughts and I am not bashing the longer models as they are awesome too!
Old March 11, 2010, 10:47 PM   #7
TCman

I dont have a smith and wesson, but I do have a BFR .460. It does not have a compensator, and is a handful to shoot. I would get a compensated one if I had the option at the time. Also after a few shots at the range with full power loads and muffs, my head startd throbbing. I would not take a shot at game without hearing protection.