The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 9, 2010, 09:37 PM   #1
EdInk

Shorten Kahr Trigger

I was wondering if there is a way to shorten the trigger pull on a Kahr pistol?

I love my Kahrs but have been having issues with not allowing the trigger to fully reset. I think it is because I've been spoiled by all my shorter trigger pulls.
Old March 9, 2010, 11:41 PM   #2
5whiskey

I just got my first Kahr yesterday. I fired it today, and I have to admit that the trigger takes some getting used to. It feels almost exactly like a double action pull on a good revolver. I'm feeling you on the reset, I love a good SA trigger that allows you to "follow through", let off just enough to feel it reset, and quickly fire again. Not as much with the DA of the Kahr. More like fire, let completely off, preload rapidly to a point, then follow through with the easy squeeze. To be honest mate, I would just shoot it more to get the feel rather than mess with the trigger. It is an awesome trigger despite the long DA pull. Of course, YMMV.
Old March 10, 2010, 10:13 AM   #3
EdInk

I've shot Kahrs for a couple years and nevr had the problem until I started shooting over guns with much shorter pulls. Oh well, I guess nothing is perfect.
Old March 10, 2010, 10:24 AM   #4
hdawson228

I love the looong, very smooth and clean breaking trigger on my Kahr. Yes, it does take some getting use to.
Old March 10, 2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Shadi Khalil

I had problems adjusting to my first Kahr trigger years ago. I took it to a local gunsmith who had worked DA revolvers for me so I figured he could do something with the Kahr. Having never felt the trigger pull on a Kahr before then, he declared it near perfect and refused to mess with it. Keep practicing and before you know it you'll love it.
Old March 10, 2010, 01:54 PM   #6
dajowi

I purchased a K-9 sometime back and it came with the NY trigger. I sent the gun back to Kahr to have them replace it with the ELITE trigger. I certainly can tell the difference between the two - however it still isn't anything like a sweet SA.
Old March 10, 2010, 02:37 PM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Fatter fingers?

Now, go figure...
Old March 10, 2010, 04:25 PM   #8
HKFan9

Really? Kahr to me has the BEST DAO pull I have ever felt. It is long, but its buttery smooth and breaks crisp and clean, what more could you ask for in a defensive CCW? I admittedly sold my PM-9 not because I did not like it nor did it perform I found my needs changed. I would suggest before you go about trying to change it, if there is a way i am unsure of, but take some time and get used to it. I'm sure it will grow on you, I hate the way a Glock trigger feels compares to my Kahr. I prefer SA myself but found myself really liking the Kahr trigger for a DAO.

Long triggers are good on a defensive weapon because theres no telling what your nerves and levels of adrenaline will do with that trigger finger, safer a long pull to make sure it goes off when you want it to, rather then a twitched nerve on a short pull and a accidental discharge. Just my opinion.
Old March 10, 2010, 04:33 PM   #9
varoadking

Quote:
Kahr to me has the BEST DAO pull I have ever felt.
Agreed...

...thats why I have 5 of them...
Old March 10, 2010, 04:35 PM   #10
aroundchicago

If you don't like the trigger on the Kahr, maybe you've been shooting your 1911 too much?
Old March 10, 2010, 10:07 PM   #11
allenomics

I think you might have a NY model: 1/2" full? Most other models, as far as I know, are 3/8" pull.
Old March 11, 2010, 09:36 AM   #12
EdInk

I didn't know they had different length pulls on Kahrs. It's a CW9 and I bought it new in TN. 1/2 and 3/8 isn't much difference. I think the answer is I've been shooting my short triggered guns too much and my Kahr not enough.
Old March 11, 2010, 12:36 PM   #13
jfrey

I understand that Wolff makes a 5# striker spring that is supposed to make the trigger pull a little lighter and supposedly feel better to those used to a lighter trigger. I think I am going to try one in my CW9.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:52 PM   #14
varoadking

Quote:
I understand that Wolff makes a 5# striker spring that is supposed to make the trigger pull a little lighter and supposedly feel better to those used to a lighter trigger. I think I am going to try one in my CW9.
Bad idea...

Just learn to shoot it...the stock Kahr trigger is wonderful and should not be tampered with...
Old March 11, 2010, 08:42 PM   #15
hdawson228

Varoadking. Agreed. Why fix what's not broken?
Old March 11, 2010, 09:18 PM   #16
voodoo54

The nice long smooth trigger pull is one of the things that make Kahrs great. It takes a little getting used to but it's worth it.
Old March 11, 2010, 09:50 PM   #17
BoneDigger

I personally like the trigger on my PM9. Yes, it is long, but that's a good thing for a gun that might serve time in a coat or pants pocket.

Todd
Old March 11, 2010, 10:06 PM   #18
jad0110

Quote:
I just got my first Kahr yesterday. I fired it today, and I have to admit that the trigger takes some getting used to. It feels almost exactly like a double action pull on a good revolver.
Actually, having fired them back to back recently, my finger tells me that the pull length on Kahrs is significantly longer.

I'm sure it does take time to get used to that. When I shoot my father's K9, I often find that I release pressure on the trigger and let it rebound forward too early, without firing a shot. Accidental non-discharge?

It is smooth though, with a nice firm, positive feel. Unlike the mushy trigger of an XD or Glock, which I personally don't care for, but to each his own.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:13 PM   #19
Dfariswheel

If you're having problems with not allowing the trigger to reset, installing a lighter spring is the exact opposite of what you should be doing.
Its lighter DA triggers that can cause trigger reset problems for some people.

The original concept of the Kahr design was a micro-mini 9mm auto that had a DA-only trigger that felt like a tuned S&W revolver.
The idea of the longer DA trigger was that the gun would be as safe to carry as a DA revolver without having to have any external manual safeties.

Because some people wanted a shorter trigger pull, Kahr designed the "Elite" trigger unit and use it now on the top of the line models.
These days, most people are more used to 1911 and Glock pistols so they just aren't used to a DA revolver trigger or the Kahr's revolver-like trigger.

Practice is the answer.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:32 PM   #20
EdInk

Tell me more about this Elite trigger unit. Can I install it in my CW9 or Mk9?
Old March 12, 2010, 06:03 AM   #21
PSP

Quote:
Tell me more about this Elite trigger unit. Can I install it in my CW9 or Mk9?
If you have a CW or MK then you already have the Elite, 3/8" short travel trigger.

The longer, 1/2" "NYPD" trigger is found on the K9, all others are made with the sort trigger.

Quote:
Practice is the answer.
+1

Last edited by PSP; March 12, 2010 at 06:14 AM.