The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 6, 2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Derekadavis

Sks Tech sights Vs. Scout scope

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON SCOPED SKS BASHING, PLEASE DONT!
I'm trying to find replys from people who have used these sight systems.

I'm 22 but I don't have the best eyes. I don't wear glasses, but I'm considering getting some just for the range. This is why I love the scope I have now (cheapo Tasco 3-9x40). Even with glasses I think I would still enjoy the scope more. I understand that a lot of people can shoot 100+ yrds accuratly with iron sights, I can't.
I have a Norinco sks currently set up with the standard receiver scope mount(the one you can't clean your rifle without losing your zero). With a tasco 3-9x40. Sighted in at 50 yrds, I'm getting .5" 3 rd groups. At 100 2.5" was my best.

I have been trying to deside between Tech Sights and a Scout Mount(brand).

I have 2 questions:
With the scout mount, I want to use the scope I already have. Would mounting Both the rings in front of the adjustment knobs have any affect on accuracy or holding the zero?
With the tech sights is it easy to quickly get on target in a hunting situation?

I will be using the rifle for hunting hogs soon. But it is mainly a range gun I like to shoot 50-100 yrds but will be trying 200 soon.

Thanks!
Old March 6, 2010, 04:17 AM   #2
bamaranger

Your conventional 3x9x40 tasco.....

Will not work with a "scout mount". I am not familiar with the brand, but a scope mounted forward of the action (scout scope) needs to have what is know as "intermediate eye relief" (some long eye relief "pistol" scopes will work). Eye relief is the distance at which the scope gives a complete field of view and does not black out around the edges.

To get some idea of the problem, try looking through your scope with your eye/ head at the butt of the rifle, not properly placed on the comb as you would normally do.

If you are getting 2" groups at 100 w/ an SKS, why change anything?

The Tech sights look interesting, and I am considering them on an AK. Many folks, myself included, feel that a peep sight, with fairly large aperture and a highly visible front, is superior to a notch and blade "iron" sight.
Old March 6, 2010, 04:46 AM   #3
Derekadavis

I held my scope up to where it would be mounted. Looking thru it I would have to lean forward a bit but it wasn't uncomfortable.

The reason I want to make a change.
The mount I have now you can't dissasemble the rifle with out losing zero. I like to clean my guns after every range trip.

Also I was using a tapco stock with detachable mags.
I went back to the factory wood and I want to be able to use stripper clips.
Here she is:

Last edited by Derekadavis; March 6, 2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old March 6, 2010, 06:44 AM   #4
DE Shooter

Bet if you get glasses, you'll use them for hunting as well as the range. I'm near sighted...I have found that the use of irons or optics are ALOT improved with my glasses. You'll be cussin the first time you go to the range or huntin and forget them! I have a decent shooting Norinco SKS...all original. It's better than my eyes will do it...so I too am considering the rear peep aperature or an optic. There are several interesting peeps available that replace the rear blade. I'm pretty sure, with my eyes, to be tight at +200yds I would need magnification. If I was to go with a scout or semi-scout optic I'd be lookin at a Vortex Strikefire (my budget) or if I hit the lottery, an Aimpoit with a flipup magnifier (on a custom made Knight). I'm not re-zeroing every time I clean. Good luck.
Old March 6, 2010, 06:51 AM   #5
wnycollector

I had a dust cover mounted scope on my norinco SKS for years. It worked ok once I figured out that I didnt need to take the dust cover off every time I cleaned the rifle. I just squirted a bunch of CLP inside the dust cover and let it drain while I cleaned the bore and gas system! I did a full cleaning one every 1000 rounds or so...then re-zeroed my scope I have had the rifle for 20 years w/o any ill effects from my neglect.

Last year I upgraded to tech-sight's and would never go back to a scope for my sks. The range I normally shoot at has the backstop at 120 yards. I can line up clay pidgins along the backstop and pick them off all day long with my SKS in its current configuration. That is more than accurate enough for me.
Old March 6, 2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Derekadavis

Lol. I'm an idiot!
I just realized I can't use stripper clips with a large scope.

Tech sights it is.

And glasses.

Thanks to everyone for your replys.
Ps. Those with the tech sights. Did you get the skinny front post? And how about the adjustment tool? Is it hard to adjust w/o it?

Thanks again!
Old March 6, 2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Mobuck

cleaning sks

Have you considered a Bore Snake for cleaning? Just lock the bolt back and pull it through. You don't need to clean the parts under the cover everytime you shoot. Those rifles are meant for combat and unless you crawl around in mud or drop it in a sandpile, a little lube will last a long time on the moving parts.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:43 AM   #8
RamSlammer

I installed Tech Sights on my Norinco and love it. Works well with a Williams Firesight fiber optic front sight. Sort of like a "manual" red dot.
Old March 6, 2010, 09:40 AM   #9
wnycollector

Quote:
I installed Tech Sights on my Norinco and love it. Works well with a Williams Firesight fiber optic front sight. Sort of like a "manual" red dot.
Keep in mind if you go with the williams firesight (a good idea IMOO) buy the TS-200 elevation adjustable sight since the williams is not elevation adjustable!
Old March 6, 2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Derekadavis

yea i just looked up the firesights...not for me.

I'm prob just getting the standard.
Old March 6, 2010, 01:53 PM   #11
wnycollector

Here is a nice how-to article on the tech-sights http://surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/...ight/index.asp
Old March 6, 2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Noonan

I really like the Tech-site on my SKS.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:25 PM   #13
bamaranger

The tech-sites may....

be just the thing for you, but don't rule out the scoutscope idea.

If that is your mount base out there where the std rear sight was, you are set up to mount a "scout scope", or possibly a red dot of some persuasion. Again, some pistol scopes will work up there too.

If you do get a tech-site rear, keep us posted.
Old March 7, 2010, 10:48 AM   #14
Shorthair

For what its worth, there is a way to mount a scope, that is rigid, permanent, and allows proper use and maintenance of the weapon without having to re-zero after cleaning. It does however, involve a bit more work. I made this mount after deciding the solutions I found on the market to be unsatisfactory. It is offset, but at SKS ranges that doesn't matter, and it does put everything into about 2.5" at 100 yards. I can use the iron sights, stripper clips, and completely detail strip the weapon without interference from the scope. It ain't pretty, but the SKS isn't a pageant queen to begin with.

Old March 7, 2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Derekadavis

Not a bad scope mount. looks solid.
I would have done the same but i don't know why, I just couldn't do it to my first (real) rifle(got a 10/22 at 11).
I made my decision, I ordered the tech sights yesterday.

I will post pics and a range report when I get a chance to go.
It might be a month or so, cause I'm going to wait until I get my GLOCK.

Thanks everyone!
Old March 7, 2010, 11:13 AM   #16
DMK

Nice job on that mount. If you Gunkoted that thing flat black, it wouldn't look half bad.

That offset to allow for stripper clips is the same concept used with the St Marie mount for the K31 and the military mount for the M1C/D Garands.
Old March 7, 2010, 04:35 PM   #17
FALshootist

For the SKS I found the Williams firesight front and peep rear gave the best results.

For my M48 in 8mm which is capable of much longer usable ranges I replaced the rear sight and installed a scout scope mount and Burris scout scope which works very well.
Old March 7, 2010, 05:45 PM   #18
DE Shooter

Nice pics...looks like some tedious work. HolyMoly!!!...with that scope on my Norinco...I'd be lookin for 1MOA...you must be shootin the same cheap ammo I'm shootin!!! I can't get her below 2".....yet!
Old March 8, 2010, 01:43 AM   #19
bamaranger

if.......

You guys are getting sub 3" MOA w/ commie ammo out of SKs's, you are out performing my much loved, but only fairly accurate, mini-30 with a Leu 1-4x.

Most import ammo goes 4"+ in my Ruger. Handloads and select US ammo does much better, say sub 2 moa, but not by much, and only for 3 rd groups. But hey, the Mini is prettier, no matter what else.
Old March 8, 2010, 07:53 AM   #20
FALshootist

Its only on the internet where the average poster has a rifle capable of MOA. Sure some do but most just dream that they do.

IIRC the standard required of most rack grade military arms is 4 inches @ 100 meters. MY L1A1 is a consistent 2-4 inch gun @100 yards and once I actually did get a 1 inch group (Hell occasionally I win $5 on the lottery too), but that doesn't make it a MOA rifle.

Unless you are very lucky your sks will do no better than described above. No scope in the world will make a rifle more accurate.

However, it makes a fine pig/deer gun out to 150 yards and is perfect for harsh conditions and bad weather.
Old March 8, 2010, 11:01 AM   #21
Shorthair

Quote:
That offset to allow for stripper clips is the same concept used with the St Marie mount for the K31 and the military mount for the M1C/D Garands.
Yup. Got the placement idea from the M1 mounts. The mounting holes on the plate are actually slots, slightly elongated from the screw OD to allow for major elevation adjustments. Its just a piece of plate steel that after all the "engineering" was done I hardened with an acetylene torch and oil quench.
It's not designed to do anything other than be a rough and tumble brush deer rifle, a back up or loaner. Its ugly but it works.
Old March 8, 2010, 01:11 PM   #22
MosinM38

One thing I will mention about the ScoutScope's Mount:

With that mount, any scope will have to go on like this:

I was gonna do that, however even set as far ahead as I could...I couldn't use stripper clips.

I'm gonna have to get a Red dot I guess....

I was thinking of going the Tapco route and replacing the gas tube with one carrying a picitanny rail...But then I'd have to go the 922R route, and I want to keep the wooden stock...soo