The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 4, 2010, 11:34 AM   #26
Lavid2002

You think there junk? Explain.....Whats bad about them. Or are you making assumptions on the price tag? Every single part on that gun is interchangeable with the remington 870.....are THEY junk?
Old March 4, 2010, 12:05 PM   #27
oletymer

If you can't tell the diffence by looking at the machining then I am happy for you. They are similar to the 870 Express guns but not the Wingmaster. For those who think that is quality then go for it. Not me.
Old March 4, 2010, 06:18 PM   #28
MAX100

Quote:
oletymer:
Well Max I have seen a lot of them. I don't own one since I believe they are junk. If they make you happy then that is good. They make me puke.
You never give details to prove your point and you have been asked several times explain your one word comments. You are starting to lose credibility.

GC
Old March 4, 2010, 06:50 PM   #29
jmortimer

The are no facts to support not owning a Pradner pump. Just hot air. You will never find an actual owner who does not respect the gun as reliable and worth every penny. I bet "old what his name" drives a Dodge full size 3/4 or 1 ton truck made in mexico. Again I say, "Thank you Remington for importing these great shotgun.
Old March 4, 2010, 06:51 PM   #30
oneounceload

Max - since I don't have any personal experience with them, perhaps you can provide me with the link(s) to where they were used to win trap, skeet, 5-stand, sporting clays, FITASC and CAS competitions. I'm having trouble finding any information about them.

Thanks for your help!
Old March 4, 2010, 07:49 PM   #31
TxGun

You guys seem to be going down two different roads, IMO. The Pardner Pump Protector, which is what I think we're discussing here, is a defensive shotgun with a 18 1/2" barrel. It is comparable to the 870 Express, but for less $$$. It is not comparable to the 870 Wingmaster, but then very few pump guns are. It also does not carry the price tag of a Wingmaster...even a used one. It is not a competition gun...but then neither is an Express, especially with a home defense barrel attached. No one, as far as I can see, is saying a Pardner Pump is a world-class shotgun. What most appear to be saying is that it's a good solid shotgun for it's intended purpose and good value for the $$$. I don't own one. I bought one for my brother on the advice of a long-time friend who happens to own a gunshop. My bro loves his shotgun and has had zero problems with it. Pretty simple. Some of the comparisons seem to be a little unfair. Most don't compare Expresses to Wingmasters. Most don't compare Mossberg 500s to Wingmasters. Why compare a Pardner Pump to a Wingmaster, or any other high-end pump that costs a lot more? If you don't like it because it's built in China...fair enough, and I totally understand that. But that doesn't neccessarily speak to it's quality for the price, and some folks, due to their circumstances, have to consider that in their buying criteria. All JMO and no offense meant to anyone.

Last edited by TxGun; March 4, 2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old March 4, 2010, 08:16 PM   #32
oneounceload

Quote:
Every single part on that gun is interchangeable with the remington 870.....are THEY junk
Quote:
Just hot air. You will never find an actual owner who does not respect the gun as reliable and worth every penny.
Quote:
I've got the Pardner Pump Protector and it's a great shotgun for it's intended purpose.
It'll never win a beauty contest, but it has never failed and it's a tough little gun
Sorry TXgun - as I said, I don't have experience with them, and when I saw these comments, I thought there might be more to this gun than previously thought and they might be a seriously well-made gun suitable for competition.

I guess you're telling me my thought process is incorrect??
Old March 4, 2010, 08:28 PM   #33
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Keep it cordial and civilized, folks......

Ad hominem attacks will cease, NOW!!!
Old March 4, 2010, 08:30 PM   #34
TxGun

Naw, Ounce...just sayin' they seem to be a solid gun for the money and for what they are intended to do. A Pardner Pump is never going to replace your Wingmaster, or Model 12, or BPS, or Model 37...at least in my opinion. But then, I don't think NEF is targeting those guns as their competition at the price point. I think they are marketing against the Mossberg Maverick, the base 500, the Express, the Turkish pump guns, etc. No biggie.
Old March 4, 2010, 08:37 PM   #35
MAX100

I wouldn't use any pump shotgun for sporting clay competition. I would choose high end semi auto or an O/U.

The WingMaster and 870P are more refined shotguns but they aren't any more durable or reliable than a Pardner Protector & Hawk 982. I wouldn't choose a pretty higher end shotgun for tactical home defense. I don't want to worry about damaging it when practicing and when it counts.

GC
Old March 4, 2010, 08:50 PM   #36
oneounceload

Dave - no attacks on my part, just some serious inquiring based on the comments made. Sorry if you took it the wrong way......
Old March 4, 2010, 09:23 PM   #37
SigP6Carry

My cousin has one. HE absolutely loves it. He's got no complaints about it, but... I've yet to see what it can do, as we've yet to meet up to shoot trap. I think they're a bit on the weird looking side, myself, but I do appreciate them. They look like a mix between an Auto-5 and an 870 to me.

But, I wouldn't condemn something JUST believe it's Chinese. In the last decade, Chinese manufacturing has really gotten MUCH better than it was.

If you really are going to be all "I hate Chinese made crap!" Go buy used. I bought a 500a for $120 and I've seen 870's for $170. You just gotta look around.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:22 AM   #38
oletymer

Max, give me something other than you biased opinon to prove they are such great guns. An opinon is just that. I think they are not very good, you sing their praises all the time. Get over it.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:27 AM   #39
Lavid2002

Quote:
If you can't tell the diffence by looking at the machining then I am happy for you. They are similar to the 870 Express guns but not the Wingmaster. For those who think that is quality then go for it. Not me.
so is this about asthetics or reliability, function, and price?
Old March 5, 2010, 05:03 PM   #40
nefprotector

I just bought one myself. Even had my user name changed. lol! The NEF weighs a ton and seems to be built like a tank. But dont let the weight fool you. Mine Kicks like a MULE! I think they are solid shotguns. NEF would'nt put their names on junk.
Old March 5, 2010, 05:59 PM   #41
LynnTX

To NEFPROTECTOR

Were you using 3" loads when it was kicking so hard, or was it 2 3/4?

I am going to try to test mine this weekend. Will be the first chance I get.
Old March 5, 2010, 06:12 PM   #42
MAX100

Here are some pictures that some will find interesting:

This is a picture of top of the receiver of the Canadian imported DA Grizzle. It's made in China by Hawk Ind and is the same shotgun as the Hawk 982 & NEF Protector but it has a shorter barrel and the barrel ring is in the same location on the barrel as the 870. The only difference in the receiver is the 982 doesn't have the recess cutout at the back of the receiver. Other than that they are the same. As you can see the machining is excellent. The pictures also show that the Hawk Ind receiver is thicker than the Rem 870 receiver.

The second picture is the same top view of the 870 Express receiver. You tell me which one has the better more expensive machining. The Express looks like a low budget shotgun receiver.

The third & fourth pictures are top view of the 870P & WingMaster. Much nicer machining than the Express and very close to the DA Grizzle. The machining on the Grizzle took an extra step.

Clear pictures don't lie.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; March 5, 2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old March 5, 2010, 06:54 PM   #43
nefprotector

"To NEFPROTECTOR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you using 3" loads when it was kicking so hard, or was it 2 3/4?

I am going to try to test mine this weekend. Will be the first chance I get."

They were 3" magnums.
Old March 5, 2010, 10:16 PM   #44
Lavid2002

Recoil isnt a factor when talking about pump shotguns IMO.....that is primarily decided on the weight of the gun, recoil pad, and the load being used. Seeing as the weight has already been addressed the recoil of your 3" shotgun isn't relevant in the argument of whether or not its a reliable gun. (Which it is)
Old March 5, 2010, 10:23 PM   #45
Onward Allusion

I have a few of the H&R / NEF's and I have owned the Mossbergs.

NEF/H&R Pardner Pumps are not great shotguns. They are reliable plain-Janes that perform. As for finish, the Pardner Protectors are on par with Mossberg 500/590, Remington 870 Express. Actually, the Pardner Pump Walnut's furniture is nicer than the 5XX & 870. Performance-wise the are also on par with the 500 & 870 - not that it's a gold standard or anything.

There are a lot of folks who will not buy the NEFs and that's fine. Others will swear by the NEFs and that's fine. I just thank God that we actually have a choice.

Quote:
oletymer
Max, give me something other than you biased opinon to prove they are such great guns. An opinon is just that. I think they are not very good, you sing their praises all the time. Get over it.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old March 5, 2010, 11:33 PM   #46
jlv08

A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks, Max!