The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 21, 2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Harley234

How much does a new Coltr. 45 Peacemaker cost

How much does does a new peacemaker cost, I heard they ost between 600, and 700 dollars, but I was wonering if there were any cheaper ones
Old February 21, 2010, 06:11 AM   #2
radom

You forgot a zero on the cost.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:31 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

Harley, Welcome to TFL.
If you check gunbroker.com you should be able to find the answer there. I assume you want a reproduction that fires?
If not you could always check out some of the replica dealers and they offer non-firing guns for around $100.00.

I am too lazy to actually check, but I do remember reading somewhere that an original Peacemaker (Not replica or reproduction) was well over a $4,000.00. It all depends on condition.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Stainz

The 4.75" & 7.5" color case hardened & blued version of the Colt Model P is still being made by Colt - and available from stock from a common mail order dealer for $1,165 delivered to your local ffl holder. Have your local dealer check - they are still available new - and you still get to load five rounds for carry!

Now, if you want one made under the old Colt 'Blue Dome' in Hartford, CT, you'll have to get a US Firearms product - actually, a better version!

Stainz
Old February 21, 2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

This post got me curious so I looked. Gunbroker has one for $8500. They also have a none working rust bucket for $1025.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:34 AM   #6
munson1

Harley
Save some Dollars & buy a Ruger Single Action. Theres different models & the used market is also something to look at. Not telling you what to do, but Ruger is worth looking at.

Munson1
Ken
Old February 21, 2010, 09:56 AM   #7
longranger

It would behoove you to look a little more, as already stated new 3rd generations are $1100-$1300 + depending on options and cartridge.The U.S.F.A's are as nice as the Colts but will never have the collector value of a Colt.Those "rust buckets" for $4000.00 are usually 1st generations(125 y.o.) and many are fully functional and depending on configuration can and will go beyond that $4000.00 mark.Provenance plays a huge part in the overall value of any collectable gun.If you want a shooter you can pass on without loss of value and long term value get a Colt.As with anything you get what you pay for.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:11 AM   #8
mikejonestkd

As mentioned above, you can find a new production colt for around $1100-$1300.

My local smith has a beautiful 1st gen on gunbroker for $8500 and it sure was nice to look at and hold, but there's no way I am putting that kind of money down on a handgun that I'd be too afraid to shoot.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:20 AM   #9
drail

The price for a Colt SA has reached the level of absurd. If you want one you can shoot, buy a Ruger. It is a much better gun anyway.
Old February 21, 2010, 11:06 AM   #10
jmortimer

I like Ruger and have had two Vaqueros (keeping the "New" Vaquero) but if you want the real deal it will cost around $1,300.00 but as someone mentioned the USFA single actions are clones and great guns. You can get a real nice made in USA USFA for around $800.00 and it is every bit as good as the Colt. I really want a USFA Double Eagle but it is around $ 1,000.00 - If you are looking for an "authentic" "five in the holes" gun get the Colt or the USFA or if you want to save some $$$ then get an Uberti which is a fine gun as well. If you don't care if it is "authentic" the "New" Vaquero is really nice and the tolerences are good compared to other Ruger single actions. Also, if you reload, the Ruger and the USFA can be loaded "warm" - i.e. +P above SAAMI of 14 k psi - you could go up to 20 k psi if you wanted but not with the Colt or Uberti. And no, the Ruger is not a "better" gun as some have said it is different.

Last edited by jmortimer; February 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old February 21, 2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Cool_Hand

$600-700!?!!? I wish they were that cheap, although if they were there would be none left. Look at a ruger vaquero, you can get one NIB for around $500 more or less
Old February 21, 2010, 08:29 PM   #12
gak

Quote:
The price for a Colt SA has reached the level of absurd. If you want one you can shoot, buy a Ruger. It is a much better gun anyway.
Drail

This is both very old news and misleading (like much of this thread), as prices in the past few years have actually come down a bit from previous highs. Colt has been "high" relative to its clones for decades. It's relative "unaffordability" for many folk has been a fact for just about forever--thus the very good clone market. It also has--the economy aside--not been more affordable in many years as it is now, nor as well built. The $1100-1300 figures already quoted being accurate for new production examples. Earlier--and arguably not as good--3rd gen guns not only have been priced new for more and, inexplicably, used ones as well (meaning more than brand new ones). Colts are what they are. The poster didn't ask "what else can I buy or should I look at?" Or "are there any as good or even better?" He asked what a new--presumably meaning new production--Colt costs. If you don't want or need the prancing pony, then the cost is "too high" and, yes you can buy technically and cosmetically as good or better for less (and more depending on options)--USFA or perhaps STI. If you want a Colt regardless, for whatwver reason(s), then these peripheral arguments are moot.

But I'll play along--the Ruger vs Colt arguments are largely apples and oranges: different guns. Nothing handles/balances/feels/triggers/hammers or has that sense of history as nice as a Colt (or USFA etc), but--without considerable tuning work on the Colt designs, and some would argue regardless--if you're going to expose a gun to hard cowboy action shooting or want a hard working, "true" 6-shooter (vs 5 safe for Colt designs), then yes the Ruger looks (and is) pretty darn good, and the lower entry fee for perfrming these duties can't be argued. OTOH, the Colt's (and USFA) a gem to the extent I really don't do them the disservice of much comparing with the lesser priced models. I have both the Ruger(s) and a very recent year Colt SAA (+ various USFA and Cimarron/Uberti as well) and they're both great for their own, sometimes very different reasons. They all have their place.
(Later edits)

Last edited by gak; February 22, 2010 at 03:14 AM.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:22 PM   #13
TomL

How much does a new

I bought a 3rd Gen in the brown wood grain looking box, new never fired, 1979vintage for $1200.00, that was 3 years ago. It's still new unfired in the box, just can't bring myself to put a bullet or three down the tube so it reigns as the "safe queen"! Tom
Old February 22, 2010, 08:23 AM   #14
Stainz

The USFA base model - 'The Rodeo' - is $625 MSRP starting - and a better version of the original Colt Model P - just with a nearly 'Parkerized' functional finish. Rodeo II, ie, 'New Rodeo', has a satin nickel finish starting at $695. 'The Single Action' comes with beautiful CCH/blued finish - and in more caliber choices (The Rodeo's are .38 Spcl & .45 Colt only!) - starts at $975. All are super quality - made in Hartford. I've fondled them... wow! I've owned Ruger SA's - no more of them for me. If I ever get re-interested in SA shooting - I'll likely get a Rodeo.

Stainz

PS The USFA revolvers can get expensive. Example... grips: Standard - hard rubber - one extra, Elephant Ivory, is $725 more!
Old February 22, 2010, 11:53 AM   #15
DPris

And, USFA has been out of the old Colt building for several years.
Denis
Old February 22, 2010, 12:04 PM   #16
Model-P

Quote:
And, USFA has been out of the old Colt building for several years.
Denis
Umm,.....
does this mean, "USFA has been coming out of the old Colt building for several years" or, "USFA has been moved out of the old Colt building for several years"?
Old February 22, 2010, 12:14 PM   #17
Daryl

Like most things, it mostly boils down to what you want and can afford.

Colts are nice, but they're expensive. The main "advantage" to them is that "it's a Colt". Nothing wrong with that, and many people want that.

If the same gun (or perhaps better) will fill the bill, USFA makes what most consider the best "clone". It may actually be a better firearm than the real deal, but again, it's perhaps a matter of opinion.

And there are lots of other choices, most of which are good for various uses and purposes.

Few are truly bad choices, but you only get what you pay for.

Daryl
Old February 22, 2010, 03:45 PM   #18
greco

I just bought a 4.75" color case hardened & blued .45lc version of the Colt Model P this week. I have been lusting after one for a long time. Over $1200, but it's what I had my heart set on...
Old February 22, 2010, 08:09 PM   #19
gak

Daryl, well put. Greco, congratulations: More than a few of us have done just that!
Old February 22, 2010, 08:57 PM   #20
old bear

Cost of Colts

I know nothing about Colt Single actions, except they are expensive. I did though check Collectors Firearms and they have a number of first generation models listed. Price ranges from $1,900 - $175,00.00 for a "pinch Back." Most were in the $3,000.00 range. I posted their link below.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...y.php?catID=13
Old February 22, 2010, 11:50 PM   #21
EdInk

A new Colt SAA will run you around $1300 which is twice as much as a New Vaquero. Which IMHO is twice as good.
Old February 23, 2010, 01:35 PM   #22
DPris

USFA moved out of the Colt building some time ago.
Denis