The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 11:20 AM   #26
greyeyezz

If your older Glock is functioning fine I would not have the internal parts upgraded. You may end up with a Glock showering you with brass or erratic ejection when all was fine.

If I needed the slide refinished I would detail strip the slide then send it in.

Quote:
Clearly, whatever Glock does when they refinish these weapons is strictly cosmetic and nothing like the original protective finish the guns ship out with. Knowing this now, I would have stayed with the original fifteen year finish with the minor scuffs and scrapes. This was a huge mistake and I'll now be shipping it off again to get a third party to put some kind of durable and more protective coating on that slide. This Glock deal is a big mistake.
The new finish they switched over to is no way as durable as the shiny black of old IMO.

Last edited by greyeyezz; January 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:46 PM   #27
ClydeFrog

After market Glock surface treatments, upgrades....

In the last 30+ years or so, many after market or custom services have come up for the Glock line.
I'd check www.robarguns.com or www.glockstore.com for some options. Morgan Boatman's www.glockbooks.com or www.customizeyourglock.com may help too.
To my limited knowledge, Glock USA had to modify the slide treatment process to comply with EPA(Environmental Protection Agency) regulations. The surface is still durable & long lasting but not quite as good as the older type.
I'd get a barrel-slide treated with Bearcoat or maybe Robar's NP3+. Night sights are a good add-on to for a defense sidearm.
I'm not a big Glock fan but there are some upgrades worth looking into if you own a Glock model.

Clyde
Old January 5, 2013, 06:10 PM   #28
Ozzieman

I’ve had my 26 for 10 years now and it’s have a good number of rounds through it (+1000) and although it’s never had a problem I have had it looked at by a Glock Factory rep/gun smith.
Once a year he shows up at our big gun show and for 10$ he goes through the gun. The only mods mine has were installed by him. This consisted of sights, spring and metal spring guide and extended mag release.
I do this every couple of years not because of my concern for its reliability but since no gun is perfect including the Glock (remember the cracking frame rails) and its one of my primary carry guns I would rather find a possible problem there rather than when I need it.
I would not be afraid to send the gun to Glock, and only Glock for a “tune up”.

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old January 5, 2013, 06:13 PM   #29
militant

Does anyone know if glock would repair or replace my lower polymer receiver for my g22? It is pretty scraped up. I sent it in a couple years ago to get the sights replaced and they replaced every internal part of the gun. This is a 1st gen glock mind you with over 10k rounds.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:56 AM   #30
dondulah

Yes I would call them they will upgrade the receiver for a fee.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:57 AM   #31
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Does anyone know if glock would repair or replace my lower polymer receiver for my g22? It is pretty scraped up. I sent it in a couple years ago to get the sights replaced and they replaced every internal part of the gun. This is a 1st gen glock mind you with over 10k rounds.
I don't want this to come off rude but there were no Gen1 G22s made; it's likely a Gen2.

If your frame is just scraped up they won't replace it. That said, if there are any cracks they certainly will.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:47 AM   #32
eldorendo

I suppose Glock's policy on frame replacement depends on with whom you're speaking @ Glock. They replaced a gen 2 frame for me with a gen 3 frame for $43, just because I told the tech that I wanted to have a rail for light, scope mounting, etc.

I'm pretty sure that Glock sends their slides and barrels out for refinishing. Maybe that policy's changed in the past few years, but that's what they used to do.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:30 PM   #33
militant

Update: called Glock and it is 100.00 for a "frame upgrade". The gun will also have a new serial number. This replaces my gen 2 frame with the newest model frame with infer grips and a rail.