The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 24, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1
stevieboy

A silly question!

I've had a couple of glasses of wine tonight so I'm in a fairly giddy mood. Do certain guns have a "nickel" or a "nickle" finish? I've seen the term spelled interchangeably but I'm guessing that one is right and the other isn't. Also, I suspect, the two words have a slightly different meaning. Anyone volunteer a guess as to the distinction?
Old February 24, 2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Buzzcook

Nickel is the chemical element as well as the coin. Nickle is a popular misspelling.

oops, just checked and nickle is an acceptable alternate spelling.

Last edited by Buzzcook; February 24, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old February 24, 2010, 08:22 PM   #3
usaz

I've never seen nickel spelled as "nickle". I too thought this was an error (or perhaps a British spelling) until I looked it up on Merriam-Webster's Dictionary web page.

Main Entry: nick·el
Variant(s): also nick·le \ˈni-kəl\
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from Swedish nickel, from German Kupfernickel niccolite (mineral containing nickel arsenide) probably from Kupfer copper + Nickel goblin; from the deceptive copper color of niccolite
Date: 1755
1 : a silver-white hard malleable ductile metallic element capable of a high polish and resistant to corrosion that is used chiefly in alloys and as a catalyst — see element table
2 a (1) : the United States 5-cent piece regularly containing 25 percent nickel and 75 percent copper (2) : the Canadian 5-cent piece b : five cents
3 slang : a packet containing five dollars worth of an illicit drug (as marijuana) —called also nickel bag
4 : a pass defense in football that employs five defensive backs
Old February 24, 2010, 08:34 PM   #4
RoyL_Fuchs

Silly answer, since I've had a couple of beers.

"Nickel" having an "alternate" spelling is crap to me. It's spelled, "nickel." Saying, "Gee, since so many people are misspelling it 'nickle,' we'll just give that the acceptable rating." Kinda like how so many people misspelled "forty" that it became the correct spelling. How long till we denigrate into melding "there," "their," and "they're" into one spelling for all?

Sorry. Pet peeve. Shouldn't a hijacked the thread.....
Old February 24, 2010, 08:48 PM   #5
5Wire

Dill Pickel, George Dickle, speling rules sure are fickle.

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:52 PM   #6
ClayInTx

I’ll overlook nickle if it’s merely a typo of the mind but I do prefer spellings to be correct.

Of course, typo is one of those slang words we use instead of typographical error.

Another word which bothers me a bit is using pistol for a semi-automatic handgun. However, we prefer short words to long words or phrases.

I suppose if one objects to saying pistol instead of semi-automatic pistol then one should insist on calling a revolver a manually operated sequentially rotated magazine pistol.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:57 PM   #7
nutty ned

eye sure am glad wee R finding out whoo the spelling police R
Old February 24, 2010, 10:02 PM   #8
CWPinSC

Either way, it sure is shiny!