The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2010, 05:34 AM   #1
GunsAreGood

SR9 Problem

So i was shooting my Ruger SR9 at the range today. Everything has been great with the gun since I got it and I have put about 500 rounds through it. I only got through two bullets today when the gun would not fire. I pulled the trigger again and nothing. The loaded indicator was up but the trigger had no tension. I did the rack and tap and the next bullet fired just fine. Three shots later the same thing happened again. I racked and tapped one more time and it shot the rest of the day with no problems. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
Old February 14, 2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Elvishead

Have you cleaned and lubed the gun? Maybe your firing pin needs cleaning.
Old February 14, 2010, 09:56 AM   #3
3leggeddog

I suggest you need to remove the striker/firing pin and clean the channel + striker. Their a walk threw over in the ruger forum on how too.
Old February 14, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Ganderson

It could also be that it hadn't returned completely into battery.

Before I got my grip squared away with the SR9 I had that happen a few times. It will appear to be in battery and the indicator will be up but it will be just a millimeter or so from fully in battery and the gun will not fire.

Tapping/pushing the slide lightly from the rear would cause it to fully engage for me when this happened.
Old February 14, 2010, 02:43 PM   #5
GunsAreGood

I do clean and lube my gun every time I shoot it. I have not cleaned my firing pin though. Next time it happens i will try to tap the slide lightly. If that does not work I will clean the striker/firing pin and clean the channel and the striker. Thank you for the input.