The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 14, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
SempFi

Remington 750 vs. Benelli r1

I am comparing the Remington 750 and Benelli r1. I am not interested in the Browning BAR. How do they match up in accuracy and quality in reference to their price? i intend to use the rifle i choose primarily in stalk and still hunting for white tail & pigs, and to also be suitable for elk hunting.

Last edited by SempFi; February 14, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old February 14, 2010, 05:30 PM   #2
HuntAndFish

R1 RIFLE with ComforTech™ SPECIFICATIONS
ITEM
NUMBER BARREL
LENGTH STOCK MAGAZINE
CAPACITY OVERALL
LENGTH AVERAGE
WEIGHT MSRP
R1 .30-06 SPRINGFIELD
11753 22" Synthetic ◊ 4+1 44" 7.2 lbs. $1599
11755 22" APG HD® *** 4+1 44" 7.2 lbs. $1759

Remington 750
Model Synthetic Autoloading Centerfire Rifle Synthetic Autoloading Centerfire Rifle
Order No. 85686 85687
Action Type Autoloading Autoloading
Avg Weight 7.5 7.25
Barrel Finish Matte Blue Matte Blue
Barrel Length 22" 18 1/2"
Barrel Material Carbon Steel Carbon Steel
Caliber 30-06 Springfield 30-06 Springfield Carbine
Drop Comb 1 5/8" 1 5/8"
Drop Heel 2 1/2" 2 1/2"
Length of Pull 13 1/2" 13 1/2"
Mag Cap
Overall Length 42 5/8" 39 1/8"
Stock Finish Matte Black Matte Black
Stock Material Synthetic Synthetic
Twist 9 1/8" 10"

Starting at $773.00 (MSRP)

Just comparing the 30-06 synthetics with iron sights, you will pay $800 - $1000 more for the benelli. For what I would do with a semi-auto deer rifle the extra price would not be worth it. JMO. The Benelli really does feel and look good when you handle it though.

Haven't owned or shot either one.
Old February 14, 2010, 06:27 PM   #3
hometheaterman

Are you kidding? The Benelli is so much better gun. However, you also pay quite a bit more for it. Why aren't you interested in the BAR? It seems to be a lot better than the Remington but still at a decent price.

As said you'd be much better off with a older Remington 760 or 7600 pump if you want a Remington. Or older 700 would also be nice. The 7400's are decent too but they aren't the greatest either. I'd take one before a 750 though.

A friend bought a .243 for his wife this past hunting season. He is a long time Remington fan so got a Remington. He even liked his 710 he had. I'm not sure which model it was but it was new with a black synthetic stock so I'm thinking it was a 750 as it looked like that I just never looked super close at it. At first it wouldn't cycle. It kicked the old shell out but the bolt wouldn't close all the way when putting the next shell in. His options were to fine someone locally to work on it or send it into Remington. If he sent it in he would miss the whole hunting season so he got someone local to look at it. Turns out there was a burr in the chamber of the barrel. They got that fixed then he said he couldn't get it sighted in as he said it wouldn't hit anywhere near the same spot twice. He is normally a excellent shot. He was trying to trade it for a bolt action and I think he may have traded it at a shop but I'm not sure if he did or not. He didn't like it at all.

I'm not a huge Remington fan after having issues with a 870 Super Magnum Express but seeing a guy that is a big Remington fan have issues makes me like the gun even less.

I don't know if he just got a lemon or if they are all like this. His may just be a lemon but I thought I would throw that out there.

Another friend has a 7400 that's pretty old in a .243 and while it's not that accurate it seems pretty reliable and seems to be pretty decent but it's an older gun not one of their new ones too. That seems to be the key is to get an older one.

I'd get the Benelli out of your choices but honestly I think the BAR is the best choice.