Write-In (Please List) 15 16.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 6, 2010, 04:54 PM   #1
EdInk

Best Revolver Shooter of All-Time

Who do you think?
Old February 6, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
claws

Hard to say. One thing for sure; It's not me!
Old February 6, 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
MrBorland

With due respect to the great shooters listed, my write-ins would include Jelly Bryce and/or Bill Jordan. They were exceptionally good shooters when others might've actually been shooting back.
Old February 6, 2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Best one I have personally seen was a retired New Mexico cop from Albuquerque New Mexico who shot master class bulls eye pistol with a Colt 45, model unknown but it was single action. I was a new shooter and having problems getting all my shots off in rapid fire with a pistol and he was doing it with the revolver and shooting good scores, (we won't mention mine).
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 6, 2010, 05:18 PM   #5
m.p.driver

Ed Mcgivern
Old February 6, 2010, 05:24 PM   #6
TheShootist1894

Elmer Keith has done more for revolvers than any of those fellows, and has shot large game at looong handgun range with the 44 Magnum
Old February 6, 2010, 05:31 PM   #7
kle

Me.

Okay, probably not me, but I feel like I'm the best (only) in my area shooting Bullseye all single-action and hitting Master-level scores...
Old February 6, 2010, 05:49 PM   #8
drail

Read McGivern's book.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:10 PM   #9
jmortimer

Bob Munden - fastest gun and great trick shot to boot. Bottom line put any man in front of Munden and if both have guns holstered the other guy is dead.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:38 PM   #10
darkgael

Best?

Best? It's a tough word. "Best" in what way? What kind of shooting? Fast out of the holster and accurate up close or no holster at all and very precise as in that 50 yard Bullseye target with it's 1.6 inch X-ring.
Did you ever hear of Harry Reeves? Paul Weston?
Did you ever hear of Phil Hemphill - eight time winner of the National Police Championship. Distinguished Revolver shot (288/9x in Dist. Revolver 2009 Camp Perry)? And they not the only ones.....the list of phenomenal revolver shots is very long, most are people that you've never heard of.
Shooters like McGivern and Miculek do almost magical things with firearms - but they are not alone in that.

Pete

Last edited by darkgael; February 6, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old February 6, 2010, 09:53 PM   #11
Webleymkv

I'd say it's a tie between Elmer Kieth (long range sixgunning) and Bill Jordan (combat revolvery).
Old February 6, 2010, 10:01 PM   #12
TheShootist1894

Not to start a fight, but, Mr Jordan wasn't instrumental in the development of the 2 most popular Magnum Revolver Cartridges. . . But i do give him the nod for keeping revolvers 'mainstream' as SD weapons in a deep dark sea of polymer!!
Old February 6, 2010, 10:30 PM   #13
rodfac

Ed McGivern..read his book, "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting". Pg 145, showing one page of work: two guns shooting, two groups, ten shots total, that you can cover with the palm of your hand, in 1-1/5 seconds, no draw, the guns were in his hands when timed, double action, .38 spl. He also did aerials, long range, single action fanning...phenomenal shooting. Keith had the utmost respect for McGivern...who was in his 40's and 50's at the time.

Jerry Miculek (Sp?) of S&W fame lately has done as well with the fast draw portion of McGivern's work, but that old man did it all...and in the '30's.

Rodfac
Old February 7, 2010, 01:15 AM   #14
Webleymkv

Quote:
Not to start a fight, but, Mr Jordan wasn't instrumental in the development of the 2 most popular Magnum Revolver Cartridges
No, but he was instrumental in bringing about both the .41 Magnum (both he and Kieth) and the S&W Combat Magnum. For those two deeds alone he is worthy of sainthood.
Old February 7, 2010, 01:40 AM   #15
Pathfinder45

probably none of the above

The people on the list are sport shooters and as such it doesn't really matter. There were probably countless fellows who at first got lucky in their first encounters during the American Civil War and then had to get used to repeated conflicts where the unlucky and inept were quickly eliminated. So, after the end of the war there were a whole bunch of young fellows discharged that had very few qualifications for honest employment but were darn quick with a six-gun and completely stripped of the normal inhibition of killing. Some were just teen-agers who had already lost count of how many they had killed. Look into the eyes of this fellow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Je...s_portrait.jpg One of the perils of being fast and uninhibited with the gun is the shooter can become dangerous to their friends and co-workers like this man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wild_Bill.jpg

Last edited by Pathfinder45; February 7, 2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: fixin'
Old February 7, 2010, 02:21 AM   #16
EdInk

Nobody asked who was the bravest or most heroic revolver shooters. So enough with the "countless soldiers" stuff. I have nothing but the upmost respect for any veteran but their skill level of shooting doesn't compare to those listed.

Elmer Keith gets a nod and should have been listed. The famous "Keith Bullet" design is a rather big deal to many handloaders.

Bob Munden is the fastest? I thought it was that other guy on Impossible Shots. Sisco the Hairdressin' Cowboy, I don't know his real name.

It's got to be McGivern or Miculek. That would be one of those great "if You had a time machine to settle an argument" scenarios.
Old February 7, 2010, 02:47 AM   #17
Taurus_9mm

I voted Munden also, not to take anything away from the other men.
Old February 7, 2010, 04:59 AM   #18
T. O'Heir

McGivern was an exhibition shooter. Munden is an exhibition shooter, too. Hasn't ever won any of the shooting game titles. Munden calls himself an entertainer.
Miculek is a class act. Buddy of mine beat him in a man on man at Second Chance, long ago. Jerry, Mr. Miculek to me, had his hand out in congratulations before my buddy knew he had won. Still an exhibition shooter though.
Keith was an inventor and sportsman.
Wouldn't want to tangle with Plaxco, if he had a Thompson. Guy's a bit of an elitist, but he can make a Chopper sing.
Not sure about Leatham, Koenig or Barnhardt. Suspect they're game players though.
Jordan was a gunfighter who was born too late. The U.S. Border Patrol wasn't exactly chasing the likes of Dillinger.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:52 AM   #19
NoSecondBest

If "best" means "in every way", it's Jerry Miculek hands down. Jerry not only shoots a revolver fast and accurate, he's also an amazing shooter with rifle and shotgun. Elmer Keith always told about how many game animals he shot at long range, he never told how many he missed. Also, we only have his word on most of what he states. Jordan was a great trick shot and good law enforcement agent but never came close to what Jerry Miculek has done for both speed and accuracy.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:55 AM   #20
Gdawgs

The other day on TV(Impossible Shots I think) Jerry shot a balloon from 200 yds with a .38 snubby, holding the gun upside down, single handed, and shooting it double action, pulling the trigger with his pinky. It took him three shots to hit it becuase he had to figure out how high to aim. He ended up having to aim 20 feet high. Very impressive.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:04 AM   #21
Scattergun Bob

I tip my hat to Jerry Miculek as one of the most avid shooters keeping the revolver alive.

In my humble option, Mr. Ed McGivern was the greatest double action revolver shooter that has ever lived.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old February 7, 2010, 09:06 AM   #22
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Ditto McGivern
Old February 7, 2010, 09:23 AM   #23
Revelation76

Mr Borland
Quote:
With due respect to the great shooters listed, my write-ins would include Jelly Bryce and/or Bill Jordan. They were exceptionally good shooters when others might've actually been shooting back.
I agree, and also favor the shooters that want to help others improve their skills. If one of the names listed hasn't used their skills in a law enforcement role, or really concentrated on giving instruction to others, then I give them a thumbs down. I know that some of these people have, and I like those guys. Anyone who weighs more on the show off side is not interesting to me.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:55 AM   #24
MrBorland

Quote:
Best? It's a tough word. "Best" in what way?

Shooters like McGivern and Miculek do almost magical things with firearms - but they are not alone in that.
I agree with Darkgael. The list offered by the OP is rather short and narrow. It could more correctly be named "Best and Most Popular Revolver Shooter of All-Time".

I stand by one of my write-ins - Jelly Bryce. He had it all - in addition to being a lawman in the lawless 20s & 30s who easily and handily won numerous gunfights, he was also a competitive & exhibition shooter with legendary marksmanship & speed skills.
Old February 7, 2010, 10:34 AM   #25
jhenry

Jelly Bryce was quite the interesting fellow. In my mind I have a tie between him and Elmer Keith.