The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2010, 01:01 AM   #26
hivel37

I have a motorized lyman that works well and pretty fast, but it ain't no picnic changing settings.

So I use my original Forster that I've had 40+ years most of the time.

Do have my eye on the Redding with micro adjustment though.
Old February 8, 2010, 02:36 AM   #27
NWPilgrim

L. E. Wilson for me as well. I like the setup from Sinclair, with their base and Shark Fin case holder holder.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5494/Case-Trimmers about $70

Then you need one case trimmer holder for each family of cases: one for the .243/.260/.308, one for .25-06/.270/.280/.30-06, one for .17 Rem/.223, etc.

Example ($10): http://www.sinclairintl.com/prod_det.../223-Remington

I really love the Wilson. Very industrial strength feel, simple and very accurate.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 8, 2010, 02:47 AM   #28
NWPilgrim

Possum Hollow case trimmers ARE ADJUSTABLE. They have a hex screw that secures the position of the cutter in the tube.

Rather than indexing off the case rim or case head like other trimmers, the Possum Hollow indexes off the case shoulder. So if you load for multiple rifles, you either need to full length size them through the same die to establish the same should length, or you need to adjust it for each rifle to give the desired length depending on how far forward the should is rifle to rifle.

These are dirt simple and rugged. Also a very cheap way to do precision trimming if you are only trimming one or two cartridge sizes. They can be hard to find sometimes. I backordered mine, they didn't come for a couple of months so I ordered the Wilson, and then a couple of months after that they were shipped out of the blue.

You can buy a drill adaptor for these. Since you don't have to take the case in and out of a shell or case holder it would be very fast to trim several hundred or thousand, assuming the case shoulders were all the same.

If you neck size for one rifle, or full length size then these could be extremely fast to get into action, take little space, would be cheap for just one or two, and are easily motorized. For trimming lots of cartridge sizes and for several rifles one of the lather types like the Wilson, Lyman, etc. is more flexible and cheaper.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 8, 2010, 05:08 PM   #29
James R. Burke

I am the same as Crimsondave. Works great, and lazy.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:10 PM   #30
Dave Bone

I whole lot of good information here! Thank you soooo much.

Dave
Old February 9, 2010, 08:36 PM   #31
BigJakeJ1s

I use and highly recommend the Wilson trimmer. I skipped the sinclair accessories, and the base trimmer is cheaper than most other lathe type trimmers. One of these days I'll treat myself to the sinclair micrometer adjuster, but the original screw works great for now.

No neck pilots are needed, just a case holder for each family of cartridges you shoot.

Note that it is not particularly easy to use when trimming pistol brass (rarely needed). The newer Q-type pistol shell holders work well, but they require more fiddling than the simple, tapered rifle cartridge holders. I use lee trimmers for pistol brass.

The pages of accessories from Wilson include the shell holders, inside neck reamers, primer pocket reamers, neck chamfer tools, etc. I have not used anything but the standard cutter that comes with the trimmer, and the shell holders. I hold mine in a small vise that is on my reloading bench (next to the press, that vise is one of the handiest tools I own).

Andy
Old February 9, 2010, 08:41 PM   #32
isanchez2008

I have a RCBS Trim Pro Manual Trimmer. Can be a pain in the rear to get cases in the shellplate sometimes
Old February 9, 2010, 09:12 PM   #33
m1forme

For basic trimming, I use a variable speed electric hand drill and the Lee set up. It's fast and inexpensive. I mount the drill upsidedown in my bench vise which allows me to operate the trigger with my left hand and to simultaneously manipulate the cutter with my right hand. For low production more precise work, like outside neck turning, I use a Lyman bench mounted trimmer.
Old February 10, 2010, 12:26 PM   #34
rockdogz

Sorry, OT -
Rembrandt, your bench setup looks very interesting. Did you build it or buy it? Can you give any more pics/info about it? I have been looking for a setup on my bench where I can mount things to removable plates so that I can easily move them and don't have to drill holes for each item separately.

Thanks!
Old February 10, 2010, 12:38 PM   #35
TRguy

I prefer the Lyman Universal Trimmer. Adjustment is easy and the universal brass holder will hold most of your popular cases out there.

with the power adapter I could trim using the dewalt cordless drill. simple quick and easy.

The RCBS chamfer and deburring tool has worked well too.

Old February 10, 2010, 12:43 PM   #36
uncyboo

Quote:
I use the Lee trimmer. I like it because it's very fast. I put the lock stud in a cordless drill and I can trim, chamfer and debur all with the drill in a few seconds.
+1

Nothing to adjust, so nothing to re-adjust for different calibers. And the chuck is very handy for other things.
Old February 10, 2010, 08:09 PM   #37
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdogz
....Rembrandt, your bench setup looks very interesting. Did you build it or buy it? Can you give any more pics/info about it? I have been looking for a setup on my bench where I can mount things to removable plates so that I can easily move them and don't have to drill holes for each item separately.

Covered it earlier in this post. Good luck.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...t=bench&page=3

Check out posts 59, 64, 82, 86, 220, 228,
Old February 11, 2010, 09:26 PM   #38
aerod1

I use a Lyman Universal. Is it the best? Probably not, but it works well for me. I purchased the kit for my cordless drill, which speeds things up a lot.
It seems to work well for me.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old February 11, 2010, 11:11 PM   #39
BDX

@Rembrandt

Just curious if your RCBS cutter headed centered on the case mouth right out of the box?

Mine is back at RCBS for the second time with an unresolved alignment problem(cutter shaft centering). They seem to have a bit of a problem grasping the concept that one should realign the cutter shaft to get the pilot into the casing mouth not introduce shell wobble at the shellholder just so the pilot will go in.

The first time around they simply removed a belleville washer and weakend the vise grip so bad the cases spun around in the shellholder. Oh sure the pilot went into the case alright, but whats the point if you have to grab the case with your hand to keep it from spinning? I might as well have used some visegrips and a file:barf:

Right now its back at the factory undergoing a review by their former planrt manager. I suspect that they are relying too much on the accurate execution of the design and simply asssembling these things expecting them to line up.

I'm hoping this is a fluke but after an in depth search on the web it appears more common than RCBS might think. I hope I'll get one back with the correct alignment. However, I doubt it will be my original trimmer.
Old February 11, 2010, 11:30 PM   #40
RedHawk357

RCBS Pro Trimmer Manual Non-powered

I notice mine has a drift problem. I can set the proper trim length, and ensure that both coarse and fine Allen head or cap screws are tightened properly. I will trim a bunch of brass measuring with a quality analog Starrett micrometer very often as I have some odd results with this trimmer. After a while I'll notice my trim length will go grow by a thousandth. Both Allen heads are just as tight as when I set the darn thing up. I then loosen the fine adjustment and reduce cutting measurement one tick mark and the trim length returns to my original setting. Then a short time later the same thing happens again requiring another adjustment. I find it odd that it drifts like that. The Allen heads are tightened significantly tight so they are definitely not slipping. But I can't figure out why the trimmer won't hold a setting correctly. Any ideas? Thanks
Old February 11, 2010, 11:30 PM   #41
jamesicus

I use a Redding 1400 - it suits me fine as I am a slow "old fogey" handloader.
Old February 12, 2010, 02:35 AM   #42
NWPilgrim

I would add that if you use the RCBS X-Die resizing die then you only have to trim your rifle brass once. Makes manual trimmers more practical if you shoot a lot of rounds per year. This great if you reload for semi-auto and shoot a lot of rounds.
- James Madison
Old February 12, 2010, 08:49 AM   #43
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDX
....Rembrandt, Just curious if your RCBS cutter headed centered on the case mouth right out of the box?
It seemed to cut a little off center for the first 50 cases, then perfect after that. Not sure if I didn't have the case inserted correctly or why. Did no adjustments to the cutter head. The trims are neat, square, and uniform now.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:32 AM   #44
PCJim

Another vote for Possum Hollow trimmers. NWPilgrim gave an accurate writeup on them in his post #28. With the power adapter in a variable speed drill, they make for very quick, accurate work of case trimming.
Old February 12, 2010, 02:47 PM   #45
OkieCruffler

I sold my Forster so I could buy a Lyman, now I wish I had my Forster back. Nothing wrong with the Lyman, just takes up alot more room. The Lee system workes great if you shoot normal rounds.
Old February 12, 2010, 03:13 PM   #46
Scrapperz

I have no problems with Lyman's I got in the T-Mag kit for my Birthday.

Lyman case trimmer

Last edited by Al Norris; August 13, 2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Member Request
Old February 14, 2010, 06:17 PM   #47
9x23win

I have 3 trimmers; Hornady, Forster and the Lyman. I like the Lyman Universal the best.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:05 AM   #48
jhansman

The Possum Hollow trimmer is great, but you still have to chamfer and deburr. I'm about to get the RCBS 3-way Pro Trimmer, as I have a lot of .223 cases that need processing. Any tool that can effective do in one step what normally takes three is on my radar.
Old February 15, 2010, 05:34 PM   #49
the_right_reverend

Forster and the Lyman

the forester is my fave set it up to trim and turn necks at the same time throw in a screwdriver adapter and works perfect
Old February 16, 2010, 06:02 PM   #50
boston

I tried the Lee hand held trimmer and the one you pull on like starting a lawn mower. Never obtained good results with either.

Purchased the giraud and have never looked back. It is expensive, but quality throughout and works like a charm. For trimming large batches of brass it can't be beat.