The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: do you carry a knife with your ccw?
gun and knife. 208 77.61%
just gun. 42 15.67%
just knife. 18 6.72%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28, 2010, 08:49 PM   #126
Genepix

Knife for carry

I bought a Microtech UTX70 OTF automatic a while back, and, although it has a pocket clip, I keep it concealed in the pocket. I consider it a very convenient, high-grade tool, but I also regard it as a last means of defense, if needed. As a CCW holder, I religiously adhere to CCW guidelines as to where you carry ANY weapon...
Old September 1, 2012, 11:27 AM   #127
ibewbull

Always have a knife.

I use a blade at work daily. So usually have sevreal on me. Seems I always reach in the wrong pocket. I actually should get a holster with a scabbard for a knife made.
I sent my son a kneck knife and a Cold Steel Tanto for his deployment.
So Yes I carry with my CCL.
If I can not have a firearm then what option do we have?
Sometimes it is a BIC pen. Rolled up news paper and in the past even the antenna of a close by car. Impromise and overcome. A roll of dimes was carried in many places by my God son. I was thanked for the tip.
I must thank My old shipmate Brownie aka Jeff Brown GMG2 USS Lawrence for demanding I always wear a belt. Once I did not and it could have been very bad but for our instints. We retreated tremporairly to pick up some empty bottles. The threat vanished when they saw we would fight fo rour $3.00 combined. OH yes we weere young and invincable.
More stories in the book Sweepers Sweepers Man your Brooms by Jeff Zahratka, another shipmate.
I know it is an old thread but it still applies.

Old September 1, 2012, 11:32 AM   #128
TheNocturnus

What man doesn't carry a pocket knife? Always a gun and a knife on me.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old September 1, 2012, 01:16 PM   #129
KMAX

I always carry a knife. I keep it more for a tool than SD, but it could be SD. I have carried some type of knife almost always since I bought my first knife at age 6 in 1963. In school almost every boy had a pocket knife on him with no problems whatsoever. It wasn't an issue in the '60s and '70s in central TX.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 1, 2012, 01:57 PM   #130
Johnnymurad

LCR and Kershaw, I also think if you carry a gun you need to carry a flashlight. I carry a nebo redline.

Rev-Tac T-Shirts now Available!
www.rev-tac.com
Old September 1, 2012, 02:04 PM   #131
allaroundhunter

Yep, I carry a knife on my support side. It sees most of its use in day to day chores, but I have also had training in weapon retention in which it can play a big role.
Old September 1, 2012, 08:44 PM   #132
willmc33

I always have a knife of some sort on me as well as my CCW pistol. For a long time now it has been a CRKT Hissatsu Folder and man I love that knife. Second favorite was the Kershaw Storm, that thing was straight razor sharp.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:24 PM   #133
Dragline45

Only time I carry a knife is when I can't carry a gun.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:35 PM   #134
JC57

Wow, old thread. Sure. I have a little tiny Leatherman Squirt P4 in my pocket most of the time. It has a small blade on it. So on those occasions I carry a handgun, the Squirt goes along too.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:08 PM   #135
North East Redneck

Carried a Buck 110 through out high school and during college. Certainly more of a tool than a weapon in my mind. Still carry some type of Leatherman at all times, rarely a knife, but when I do have a knife, it is a fixed blade hunting knife. Folders and liner locks can be nice, but I prefer a fixed, full tang blade.
Old September 2, 2012, 06:17 AM   #136
DunRanull

Location: Southern Colorado, where a small working knowledge of southwestern Hispanic culture is considered polite.
I always have a knife cuz I use it a lot to cut stuff, clean nails, click it open and shut if Im bored... thats for pocket knife. also have a folder in a side pouch, either a SAK or a USA Gerber/Buck. Then when we hit the woods I mostly have a Camillus "USMC" or a 10" bowie. I have it bad.. having to choose which one looks best with my attire
Started to carry a knife daily at age 7 I believe, maybe it was 6... a simple jack-knife that I proceded to cut my finger with.. Mom cried more than I over that. StepDad said "He's old enuff, has to grow up sometime." Next knife he gave me was either a boy scout or military issue with the black grips and 2blades, a can/bottle opener (remember those?) and possibly an awl.
I carried to school and so did some of the other guys but not many. No legal issues, no complaints, no confiscations. Went thru a lot of folders growing up.
Eventually the need for something larger became evident.. KABAR! and after that the Buck General 120. THAT knife walked out of my house when It turned 38. Not a clue where it went... so Im back to the Camillus and probably won't need any other at my age. Old guys do ramble on.

Nocturnus, I think we resurrect dead threads cuz we like the sexy grave- yard babe in the lightning pic. Heavy sexuality there. Jus sayin.

Last edited by DunRanull; September 2, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old September 2, 2012, 02:22 PM   #137
Onward Allusion

Holy crap! How old is this post?! I guess still relevant, eh?

This is what I told my kids recently - all men should carry:
- CCW (when legal)
- pepper spray
- flashlight (doesn't have to be 300 lumen)
- knife or multi-tool
- cell phone
- wallet

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old September 2, 2012, 02:56 PM   #138
ZVP

Yes two, a mini Swiss and a 3 plus inch folder.
S/D requires at least one 3 inches.
ZVP
Old September 2, 2012, 03:01 PM   #139
thedudeabides

Hattori Hanzo

I carry a multitool. I'm more likely in need of cutting a length of radiator hose, crimping a wiring harness, and opening a letter than getting into a fight with a samurai who has just cut my gun in half with his divine steel sword.
Old September 2, 2012, 03:08 PM   #140
Constantine

lol....love when new members do this.

Knife and gun, yes.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old September 2, 2012, 11:55 PM   #141
michael t

Cold Steel XL Voyager don't leave home with out it. I have always carried a lage fixblade or folder . I have carried in every state in lower 48 while I was trucking and never once been bothered by police or any one else Either my Voyager cliped to pocket or a K-Bar on belt.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old September 3, 2012, 11:55 AM   #142
jmstr

I have had a pocket knife on me since about 1980. I put the pocket knife in my pocket before grabbing my wallet. I don't have a ccw yet, but I don't plan on stopping my use of pocket knifes. I use it daily to open boxes/letters/bags, to cut tape/string, to sharoen pencils, to cut food or clean my nails. I use this tool more often than anything in my 'tool box'. Why would I stop?

sent from tapatalk on Evo3G
Old September 3, 2012, 01:55 PM   #143
9mm

Quote:
I don't have a ccw yet
11 years? maybe commie state?
Old September 3, 2012, 06:36 PM   #144
STW

Small swiss army knife on my key chain because if has a toothpick and scissors.
Leatherman juice because tools need to be handy; it also has a couple of blades. I reserve the serrated one for cutting apples and other fruit. Pro-tech Monaco, since discontinued by Pro-tech, because it is a gorgeous knife with a small handle that doesn't take my whole pocket. How does anyone not carry a knife of some kind?
Old September 5, 2012, 02:30 PM   #145
stu925

I always have a knife on me of some sort. At work I'm limited to a Kershaw Scallion or CRKT Ichi which is my second choice due to it's thinner blade. Outside of work I carry a Kershaw Blur mostly. I have a modest knife collection, nothing expensive but it seems I still haven't found the perfect blade yet. I like the idea of a fixed blade but it's just not practical for me. I like a good strong thick blade with the ability to hold a sharp edge. I want it light and I'm really drawn to assisted opening knives. I use my knife for everything and I've broken a few (I don't bother the manufacturers for warranty work since I use them outside of their intended use). I'm the reason Snap-On put the "do not use as pry bar or chisel" warning on their screwdrivers.

Stu