The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2010, 10:53 AM   #1
bamiller

Kahr CW9 or PM9 range performance

I'm looking for a 9mm for pocket carry and am leaning toward a Kahr CW9 or PM9 at the moment. I'm a firm believer that you need to range shoot your carry piece consistently. So my question to you Kahr owners is do you have fun shooting these at the range or because of the size do they beat you to death?
Old February 2, 2010, 11:12 AM   #2
EdInk

I like my cw9 and mk9 just fine. I got the mk9 awhile ago and was going to upgrade to the pm9. But decided the cw9 is just as good for my needs and the extra cash could go for ammo.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:18 AM   #3
les265

I just bought a CW9 about a month ago. It doesn't beat you at all. It is a pleasure to shoot and is quite accurate. I was looking for a thin 9mm for carry and the CW9 seemed to be perfect due to its reasonable price and I found it quite comfortable. I bet you will be pleased if you get one.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:35 AM   #4
awpk03s

PM9 is very pleasant to shoot. Maybe not for extended sessions though. I did the entire 250 round break-in period in one session as fast as I could load the mags with mine, including some +Ps, and by the end my hand was tired and accuracy was suffering.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:48 AM   #5
B18C5-EH2

I enjoy shooting my PM9. IMO the trigger feels better than on my friend's CW40. Don't know if there is an intentional model line difference, or perhaps his trigger feels funny, but the PM9 shoots better IMO.

My wife has no issues shooting the PM9 either. Recoil is not really snappy.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:50 AM   #6
B18C5-EH2

BTW will this be actual pocket carry or are you just generalizing deep concealment?

Reason I ask is that the CW is nowhere near as pocket-able as the PM. Some might argue that the PM9 isn't really a true pocket pistol like some.32 auto and .380 auto "pocket" pistols on the market.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:12 PM   #7
B18C5-EH2

Sorry to bastardize the topic but I figured I'd point something else out.

- PM9 uses dual recoil springs and a stainless steel guide rod. CW9 uses a single spring and some sort of metal guide rod, but not stainless.

- PM9 also has a match grade polygonal rifling barrel,while the CW9 uses conventional rifling.

- PM9 employs dovetailed front and rear sights,while the CW9 uses a pinned in front sight that is not adjustable.

- PM series is sold with two magazines;CW sold with one

Side by side pics of a PM9 vs. CW40 - the CW40 has the exact same exterior dimensions as the CW9 except the slide is .04'' thicker - you cannot tell even in person.

PM9 is in front of the CW. The trigger guards are identical so much so that it looks like one pistol in the pick in the trigger/trigger guard area - note where the CW sticks out at the muzzle and bottom of the grip areas:

Guns lined up evenly against a wall in the rear slide/grip area - this shows how much longer the overall length the CW (lower)is that the PM (top):

Grip end - PM9 is in front. It's worth noting that some shooters, especially with larger hands,might find the CW series better in this area as even a medium handed person like myself has a pinky dangling off the grip end of the PM9. It comes with a +1 factory extended mag with a place for the pinky, but I found for me no difference in shooting accuracy with/without the extension. The 9mm is still very easily controlled in this small frame.

I like having the option of having less grip to stick out or "print" as opposed to always having that extra gripon the CW and P series.

Overall if price is a concern then the CW9 can be found for easily $200.00 less than a PM9. I'd own a CW9 in a heartbeat if I only had $400.00 to spend on the slimmest 9mm CC possible. The PM9 can easily set you back low to mid $600's.

Hope this helps.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Shawn Dodson

The PM9 is a pleasure to shoot. I load mine for CCW with Speer 9mm 124gr +P Gold Dot ammunition. I train with 124gr FMJ handloads that mirror the velocity of my CCW ammo. I usually shoot at least 200 rounds in any given range session. No problems.

I did, however, install Pearce grip extensions on my magazines to quicken my recovery from recoil.

Amazingly accurate little devil of a gun.

Good luck!
Old February 2, 2010, 03:20 PM   #9
shinerjohn

I've had my CW9 for almost 2 years. It IS fun to shoot at the range. It doesn't beat me up at all. However, I do not consider it small enough for pocket carry.

The only punishing part about the CW9 is loading the magazine. Those sharp, metal magazine lips take their toll on my thumb.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:03 PM   #10
natjohnb

I just rented and shot a PM9 over the weekend. It was very pleasant to shoot with range ammo and reminded me of the Glock 26 recoil wise, as both have a dual recoil spring.

I ended up putting the Kahr on layaway (switching out the Sig p238 that was on layaway) and will hopefully pick it up this weekend.

The PM9 seems to be just about the perfect size, for me anyway, as I am able to get a good "two finger" hold on the grip with the flush fit mag, and I have large hands. It is a good size for convenient pocket carry, or as I like to call it: "fat man carry".
Old February 2, 2010, 07:19 PM   #11
RetiredMajor

I shoot IDPA matches and sometimes I like to shoot my carry gun which is a PM9. My scores suffer against those with glock 17's and generally larger guns with a longer sight plane and that hold more rounds. But, I can shoot the match, usually 100+ rounds with no problem whatsoever, as far as comfort. I've gotten some strange looks at those meets, but I'm more concerned with being very proficient with my carry gun. I figure why always shoot a gun that you don't carry. Sometimes, I switch up and shoot something larger.

The PM9 is a great choice given size, weight, accuracy and trigger pull.

Major
Old February 2, 2010, 08:10 PM   #12
jreXD9

the PM9 is fun to shoot. almost as fun to shoot as my Sig P238 was....before I traded it for the PM9 with no regrets. it's got less recoil than an LCP or KTec P3AT. I carry it or my xd9sc, but the PM9 carries easier.