The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2010, 08:44 PM   #26
Grandpatime

well im guessing a mule legs weighs 100 lbs (big mule?) =700,000 grains now im guessing its leg kicking is perhaps 50 fps? which ='s to 3,887 ft lbs of recoil if your kicked
Old February 1, 2010, 09:53 PM   #27
Rampant_Colt

pain!

Any 3" magnum 00, 000 or 3" R-P slugger from my synthetic-stocked H&R Topper hurts me the most. I think they weigh like 5-6 pounds with the plastic stocks. OUCH!
Old February 2, 2010, 01:58 AM   #28
Anticonn

Quote:
aftermarket mag tube?
Yes, made by TacStar, cheap POS. Should have bought a Choate to begin with, but that's another story. They sent me a new one, no questions asked, didn't even want the busted one back; so at least they get credit for service.
Old February 2, 2010, 08:48 AM   #29
Grandpatime

shoulda got a nordic huh ? lol
Old February 2, 2010, 10:39 AM   #30
JH1

I bought an original nova when they first came out. Shot it two times with 3.5" turkey loads. The recoil was unbelievable, I later got rid of the gun and haven't bought a 3.5" since. I've shot a lot of shotguns and rifles in my time, but that thing took the cake when it comes to recoil.
Old February 2, 2010, 07:54 PM   #31
Noskov

How about a custom made 4 guage shotgun...

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...un-284799.html
Old February 2, 2010, 08:06 PM   #32
Grandpatime

i guess to some a 25mm is big well Colin stolzer would laugh at yiu ,he makes 2 gauge (33mm's)
Old February 2, 2010, 10:17 PM   #33
darkgael

big

Well.....starting to get a little silly.
Quote:
i guess to some a 25mm is big
There's no guessing. 25 mm IS big. And 33mm is yet bigger.
What is the point? Any one who wants to can make a bigger, badder gun. It only takes money. The question becomes "why would you want to"?
The 3.5" in a light gun is a big kicker. OK. Next.
Pete

PS: The Stolzer 2 bore build blog was great reading.
Old February 2, 2010, 10:34 PM   #34
Grandpatime

yeah i didn't want to start getting into those types of big bores. I check up his website every now and then on that jones under lever .
Old February 3, 2010, 02:00 AM   #35
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
You know what would be some real kick?

Two 10 gauge 3.5 in Turkey Load Magnums shot out of a double barrel at the same time. I'd love to fire that, right before my shoulder explodes off.
Did that in 1963 with 2 3/4" shells and now my nose is shaped funny.

Quote:
Is there anyone out there that really knows what a mule kicks like, you know first hand knowledge?
Done that too, the mule hurt less than the double barrel 10 gauge.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 3, 2010, 09:52 AM   #36
300magman

Quote:
Is there anyone out there that really knows what a mule kicks like, you know first hand knowledge?
Well...not exacty a mule.....but several years ago a deer looked up at me from behind a brush pile; all I could see was the head so that's what I shot.
Thinking to myself "yep, 30.06 in the head from 40 yards, this one is dead" I walked up to start dragging the deer back to the truck and grabbed it by its back legs. Well that's when the nerves started firing and the legs went kicking out full force in all directions.
One back hoof caught me with a straight kick in the inner, upper thigh...very near something I love dearly. I can't tell you how many pounds of force it had, or at what velocity it was traveling, but it hit with a more felt impact than any rifle or shotgun I've fired...I heal fast, but it was still 2 weeks before that bruise was gone.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:32 AM   #37
mxsailor803

if i can't kill it with a 12ga 2 3/4" i'm using the wrong gun!!! as for the guy with the ithaca, i got a belgium browning a5 sweetsixteen that kicks just as bad!! lol
Old February 8, 2010, 11:11 AM   #38
ebutler462

I was reared on the farm looking at the south end of a northbound mule many years. I do know what a mule kick is like. It hurts. The last mule I saw on a farm was in the 1950s. Farmers were buying tractors. Now a mule is a rare sight.

I used to have trouble with recoil until I discovered Limbsaver. My M2000 shoots like a 410 now, even with slugs and buckshot. Prior to then, it kicked like a mule.

My dad kept a broken hand where he popped a mule up beside the head for kicking him or one of us. They had hard heads and hooves.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:36 PM   #39
Millbilly

Lead sled