The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 30, 2010, 12:40 PM   #26
Buzzard Bait

If they only knew

If the deer only knew that when season is over and the woods quiet down. We all start thinking of better ways to do them in next year.
bb
Old January 30, 2010, 12:55 PM   #27
MikeRussell

Best is subjective. It depends on the size of the deer you hunt, the areas that you hunt, the ranges that you hunt, the style that you hunt, etc etc.

For example, you take an uber-cool, ultra long range, free floated, whoopy-doo rifle in 30000000 SuperUltraMag into where I hunt and it won't do you a damn bit of good...it's too thick for you to even get the gun around if you jump one on the way to your stand/blind/hunting area.

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmit in .308Win for more open areas where longer shots can be taken. That rifle will shoot better than most shooters, because face it...over 95% of the people out there cannot outshoot the rifle, aren't extreme marksmen, and tell "stories" about how good they can shoot. The Remington I have was fairly low priced (I think it was about $550 after rebate when bought at Cabela's on sale) and is supposed to be able to shoot .75in at 100yrds (from all the reviews). Last I heard, that kind of accuracy is a lot tighter than "minute of deer".

For the areas I hunted this year, the Remmy didn't cut it (too long and hard to get around in the thick stuff), but there has been some logging so there are areas where it will be good for next year (and a few years after). But to get to where the big bucks are, a smaller/lighter/more compact rifle is needed. Ideally, something like an AR15 in 6.8SPC/6.5G, H&R HandiRifle in .45-70, any lever action .30-30. That would work for me, but wouldn't be as good of a choice for someone hunting Mulies in wide open spaces.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:25 PM   #28
wingman

Most white tail deer are taken under 150 yards I would guess so for me the 243 has worked perfect, light recoil and super accurate, honestly for deer nothing bigger then 308 is necessary but I've known guys who use the 458mag. I think the idea was if I can't hit him perhaps the boom will scare them to death.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:38 PM   #29
James R. Burke

There are lots of good calibers that will work, and we all have our favorites. Mine for deer is the 30-06, and a few other animals. Hard to tell a person what type of rifle to buy. Alot goes into it. What looks good to you, how is the fit and feel, and of course the accuracy of it. I use a Ruger NO 1 A Light Sporter in the 30-06, and really like it. It does have it's good points, and it's bad points. I do reload, and mine is real accurate. It's super to reload for. It is a great looking rifle to me. The not so good points are it is a single shot, so there is no fast back up if you need it, and it does cost a pretty good amount for a single shot. But look around alot seeing what fits and feels good to you, and if it looks what you like. Good luck, have, fun and keep it safe. Welcome to the forum. There are some great folks on here, and lots of pro's I consider. I get lots of answers just by reading the post. Good luck again.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:56 PM   #30
crghss

Good choice.

Can't go wrong with what you've planned. I've been impressed with the Savages that I've handled.

30-06 is arguably the best over all cartridge for hunting in the lower 48. But it'd be so boring if we just sat around staring at each other saying yep...go with that.

.243 to 300 win mag. all kill deer. Depends what recoil you want to handle, money you have to spend for purchase and ammo, frequency you'll be shooting etc. etc. etc....
Old January 31, 2010, 01:38 AM   #31
uncyboo

Quote:
Choosing a rifle is not the same as choosing a wife,
Choosing a rifle is exactly like choosing a wife - It needs to look good, feel good, and make you smile when it goes bang....
Old February 5, 2010, 05:12 PM   #32
bassfishindoc

I have a Savage 110 .270 GXP3. It was a package deal with a simmons scope. I ditched the simmons, put on a Leupold VXIII and the rifle is great and very accurate. I also have a few Rem 700's that I am quite partial too, very accurate, plus Rem have a great reputation as to "out of the box accuracy". IMO you can't go wrong with either.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old February 5, 2010, 09:12 PM   #33
popeyespappy

My current favorite deer slayer is a Remington model Seven CDL in 260 Remington. It is light, short, flat shooting and as accurate as I can shoot standing. What else could you ask for?
Old February 7, 2010, 01:44 AM   #34
maqueswell

Weatherby Vanguard in .308
Old February 7, 2010, 02:04 AM   #35
LongRifles, Inc.

I like the ones I make.

Visa card(s) required. . .

www.longriflesinc.com
Old February 7, 2010, 02:10 AM   #36
LongRifles, Inc.

www.longriflesinc.com
Old February 7, 2010, 02:17 AM   #37
maqueswell

Mr. Long Rifle;

Looks like you make a very very nice rifle!
Old February 7, 2010, 02:26 AM   #38
tachunter

Of all time....Winchester Model 70. And 270 IMO.
Old February 7, 2010, 10:29 AM   #39
pwillie

Winchester model 70,pre 64 are Classic with boss.You want be disappointed. 30 cal. is best all around.Load up or down!
Old February 7, 2010, 10:41 AM   #40
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I'd been an '06 guy for twenty years, but around 1970 I got to looking at the .243 cartridge. Now, that's just a plumb pretty little critter. Well, I found a little Sako Forester carbine and got all married up with it and did DRT kills with it just like with Ol' Pet.

Time kept marching on, as time inevitably does, and I got the itch for a lightweight rifle with a tad more Oomph! than the .243.

Hokay, it's hard to get much lighter than the 700Ti, but what cartridge?

Y'know, I just like the visual proportions of the 7mm08 over a .308. The bullet isn't much thinner, but it just looks better.

I figure that's about as good a reason as any.

Old February 7, 2010, 10:54 AM   #41
fisherman66

What I'm hearing you say Art is that most rifles in most medium game cartridges will kill deer just as dead as another. Personal preference is the greatest variance, not rifle or cartridge. Hard to argue with that.
Old February 7, 2010, 10:57 AM   #42
CPTMurdoc30

Like Longrifles said. A custom built is going to be much more accurate and better all around fit and finish over any production gun out there.

PS long rifles your fit and finish is out friggen standing.
Old February 7, 2010, 02:06 PM   #43
themusgrat

If you figure that almost 100% of your deer shots are going to be under 200 or 300 yards, and you figure that you want something between a .243 and 30-06, then you've got to figure there's tons and tons of options. Go shoot the different calibers, and get a feeling for what you think you like. Then read up on the different rifles chambered in those calibers, and pick one that you like, whether it looks good like an abolt, or can take a grenade and still shoot like a savage. Then buy it. And spend some money on a scope that will last past 100 shots.
Old February 7, 2010, 02:34 PM   #44
shnergen

I like the Win Mod. 70's (pre 64) If not then the Rem 700. If you can get a custom barrel then .260 Rem, if not then a 270 winchester.

Tak
---------------------------------
http://www.takdriver.com
Old February 7, 2010, 03:08 PM   #45
benroe

the OP said he wanted an 06 yet we still stray into different cartridges...wth?? As far as a bolt action rifle goes, you can't beat a savage unless you are going to get one of "long rifles" custom setups-those are amazing!!
Old February 7, 2010, 03:21 PM   #46
GunsAmerica Actual

I also think the Sako A-7 is your best bet. The accutrigger is a gimmick. With the A7 you can pick your caliber and have a guarantee of a 5 shot 1 min of angle group, repeatable over and over again. If you pair it with Hornady ammunition you will do even better. I just got a brushed stainless and polymer stocked .300 WSM and I am excited to shoot it. Can't find ammo have to order online now.
http://www.gunsamerica.com
Old February 9, 2010, 09:40 PM   #47
mngunhead

+1 on the Savage 30-06 idea.

I just got a Savage 11 fhns is 243. It is by far the best rifle I've owned out of the box. I purchased the rifle, mounted the scope and put together some home loads. It shot great with the first load I tried. I shot a 3 shot group at .317" center to center at 100 yards repeatedly. I guess I got lucky. My next gun is another Savage in 30-06. If is shoots even close to this one, my Remington's are going down the road. I had this rifle out at the range this last sunday and it was holding 1" groups at 200 yards. This has now become my favorite rifle.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:51 PM   #48
Scrapperz

For me Remington 700ADL 30-06. Simple, Strong, Reliable and Accurate.
Old February 9, 2010, 10:19 PM   #49
young mosin

I use a mossberg ATR 100 with a tasco....DONT HIT ME
Old February 10, 2010, 08:10 PM   #50
Dougw47

Young Mosin

American made rifle, seems well made if not the most expensive. I hear some are shooters.

I have had Tasco's that did the job, hope you got a good 'un.

Good luck and let us know what type of groups you get.

Tags
30-06 , deer hunting , deer rifle , rifle