The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 14, 2010, 12:10 PM   #76
Ricky

Knives

I live in California, about the only way to get a CCW is to donate a bag of money to someone's re-election fund. Being as I'm not one of the elite rich, I don't have a CCW. I always have my Swiss Army knife on me. It is absolutely the most useful tool I own, I also carry a 3" folding lock blade knife. Seriously, if you take some time to learn proper knife fighting technique at close range a knife can absolutely be more deadly than a gun. A slashing cut can disembowel your opponent or cut the cartoid artery causing unconsiousness in seconds and a quick death. Deep cuts on the right place of arms and legs can make those limbs instantly useless and cause quick bleed out. I think I'd rather be shot than cut up by a person who knows what they are doing!
Keep your blade sharp and your mind sharper.
Old March 5, 2010, 05:29 AM   #77
dberry

I always carry a Victorinox Spartan and a Spyderco Tenacious or a SOG trident. I sometimes have a Schrade old timer on me too. Knives are not the best self defense weapon since they are so risky to use unless you are extremely trained in their use.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:40 AM   #78
bamboo spear

I don't carry a knife, but in the home when it's dark, either my Hissatsu or Cold Steel pushknife is my "go to" when I hear something wake me up. My door is close to my bed, around a very narrow cornered hallway, so if it was pitch-black and someone was rustling around, I would prefer it to a firearm.

When I hear something outside, the shotgun is my "go to".
Old March 5, 2010, 11:54 AM   #79
The Tourist

I have come to the conclusion that when a guy needs a recommendation from me for a knife, part of his desire is to buy a weapon. Sad but true. After all, hunting and chefs' knives can be purchased anywhere.

When I find such a customer, I recommend the Emerson CQC-16. In fact, I bought one for myself to use as a demonstration mule. What I have done is secretly sell these guys a knife they can actually do chores with.

Here's the thought process. It's an Emerson. I can charge Wisconsin residents anything I choose, so I make the deal under MSRP. He sticks a "hard use" knife in his jeans he can brag to his friends this was designed by the same guy who makes knives for SEALs and other "operatives."

What he has in fact purchased is a strongly built, clip point cutting tool that is a fantastic implemement for the chores he will truly need to complete, including field dressing a deer and cutting a sandwich.

The alloy is pretty good, it's 154-CM. It has some chrome in it for corrosion resistance, it takes a nice edge. The handles are G-10 and 'grippy.' It has "The Wave" included with the thumb disc for all of that knife fighting he envisions.

I hate to say it, but it's like a father putting flame decals on his son's bicycle so the kid thinks it goes faster...
Old March 5, 2010, 12:26 PM   #80
FreakGasolineFight

Buck Odyssey folder. More for utility than anything, though. I wouldn't want to use it as a weapon.

Old March 5, 2010, 12:32 PM   #81
The Tourist

Sir, your Buck Odyessy has virtually the same make up and appointments as the Emerson CQC-16 I just mentioned.

I've sharpened several of these Bucks, and they are great knives and should serve you well. You made a very good choice, and your advice is spot on.
Old March 5, 2010, 12:38 PM   #82
FreakGasolineFight

Quote:
I've sharpened several of these Bucks, and they are great knives and should serve you well. You made a very good choice, and your advice is spot on.
Thanks! I've had that knife for a good few years now, and it's never let me down. Gone through four deer along the way, too.
Old March 5, 2010, 12:42 PM   #83
The Tourist

Freak, no prob. I think good information should be shared. Obviously you looked at implements with differing features and made a very positive decision. I do not know you, sir, but I'll bet the purchase of this type is the way you conduct yourself. That is an important trait.
Old March 5, 2010, 04:51 PM   #84
markj

I have a lot of knives, mostly carry a small Gerber titanium folder, very light and easy to keep sharp. Some knives I dont carry but own are Boker Magnum automatics. Also have a good butchering set handed down from Dads meat shop days.

I see a knife more as a tool, always needing to cut something. In the bikes compartment I have a swiss army kinfe.
Old March 5, 2010, 05:14 PM   #85
UpandAtIt

I never leave the house w/o my carry piece (Para Night Hog .45), an Al Mar folder knife, Sparklite fire starter (small and easy to use) and a small button compass. Does not matter if I am just headed to the store or on a trip, I am sure to have these things with me. At this point they are a part of my being.

A cheap knife is as bad as cheap ammo or gun.... it will fail when you need it most and the rule of Murphey applies.

Most of the time I carry a back up gun (seecamp .32) and knife (CRKT - Neck knife) as well.
Old March 5, 2010, 05:19 PM   #86
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandAtIt
Sparklite fire starter
Not to hijack, but I just got a "triple flame" lighter from the Thompson Cigar Company. I don't smoke anything, but they have some very nice stuff there.

I carry something to make fire in the event that my truck is so mangled the cigarette lighter won't work. In that case, I might be injured, or I may only have damp kindling.

This lighter came empty, and as the instructions warned, I dialed the flame setting way down. I filled the chamber and and snapped the lever.

Whoosh! What a flame thrower! I'd hate to see this thing on full tilt!
Old March 5, 2010, 05:38 PM   #87
Hard Ball

A Emerson Commander
Old March 5, 2010, 06:58 PM   #88
The Tourist

Hard Ball, that's an excellent choice. My clients who are "bigger boys" go for that model. It would also be a great choice for guys who spend more than the average amount of time outdoors.

There are so many models in the Emerson line, I'm not sure you can go wrong. They don't break.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:14 PM   #89
scottawil

I carry a Kershaw Blur. I love it. I also have a Benchmade Auto Stryker and a Microtech UMS, but the much cheaper and more legal Kershaw is my preference. It's done two tours in Afghanistan and seen a lot of hard use, but still is going strong.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:02 PM   #90
spotter123654

i use a cheap 9 dollar china made ss 3inch knife
Old March 8, 2010, 08:56 PM   #91
outdoorman63

i carry a couple different benchmades
Old March 8, 2010, 09:25 PM   #92
Shotgun Don

I carry a Microtech Combat troodon or a benchmade Infadel
Old March 8, 2010, 09:39 PM   #93
aroundchicago

The Emerson CQC-8 is tough to beat. If you want to go with something a little smaller, the Al Mar SERE is a great one too.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:46 PM   #94
LastRebel70

I started carrying a knife when I was about 10 yrs old. At the present time I always carry at least 2 knives and most of the time 3. In my left front pocket I carry a small 2 or 3 bladed case or buck knife. In my right front pocket I carry either a Benchmade Stryker that I bought years ago or a SOG Flash both with a tanto blade. Sometime each of these knives are carried in my front pockets. I also have a Buck 110 that I wear on my left side quite often. People that I work with sometimes laugh at me for carry so many knives but most of them have asked to borrow one at one time or another. I have never been able to understand how someone growing up in the country can leave home without at least one knife in their pocket.
Old March 8, 2010, 10:19 PM   #95
Bulldawg55

Kershaw Blackout
Old March 10, 2010, 03:18 PM   #96
hecate

Force-on-force training taught me I wouldn't have enough fine motor control available in a defense situation to use a folding knife. I picked up a HideAway along with their anodized aluminum trainer and SouthNarc's training DVD.

You really can conceal them just about anywhere, and they're impossible to drop or get them knocked out of your hand. Anyone trying to take one away is going to get seriously cut up in the attempt.

Now I have seven of the things, and typically carry at least two. The Utility model I wear on a neck chain is the crap-chore blade. The Claw or Hybrid I wear on my belt and/or ankle is the OH SH!T backup to my carry gun. Or a good way to keep a BG away from it.

That's my HK P7M8 in the photo, but I carry a 1911 now.
Old March 10, 2010, 03:53 PM   #97
BlackFeather

^I love the pistol-knife setup, and the name "Hecate".^

That aside I have often looked at the Pistol bayonet on the Ka-Bar website. It seems off for an everyday carry and most see it as a "Mall Ninja" toy but I see it's use in the dark in a close quarters fight. Maybe not for me as I have my katana....

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old March 10, 2010, 06:56 PM   #98
shark71

I hate to say it, but it's like a father putting flame decals on his son's bicycle so the kid thinks it goes faster...

Geez, condescend much?

To the OP: I used to carry two delicas, one in each front pocket. More recently I've been carrying three knives- one spyderco dragonfly that I use for the large majority of my everyday cutting needs, one delica, and one griptillian. I am firmly convinced that the axis lock is a genuine better mousetrap.
Old April 1, 2010, 02:07 PM   #99
Jack O'Conner

This little M Tech jewel has been carried for a couple years and the steel is excellent. Cost me $15.00 for two from Cutlery Corner. Frame lock design is fast and solid. Overall length in open position is 6 5/8". Due to length its not a concealed weapon.

Take note of my grip. This tactic is taught by Special Forces; I learned it from a Veteran.

Jack
Old April 4, 2010, 08:36 PM   #100
45-70

Kershaw Blur

I carry a Kershaw Blur in my strong side (right) pocket and a Victorinox Swiss Army Trekker in my left pocket. I use the Swiss Army knife every day for all sorts of odd jobs around home and office, but the Kershaw is reserved for "business" purposes.

In five years, I have not used it for anything. Well, no, I did shave with it once, but that's all. A drop of oil on the hinge every few weeks, and it goes back in the pocket. I take it out and flick it open a few times a day just to be sure the muscle memory is imprinted.