The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 27, 2010, 05:33 AM   #1
troy_mclure

how many people know you carry?

how many(approx) know you carry, real people not internet people?

got my family, some shooting buddies, some riding buddies, and some guys from work.

so for me about 20-25.

the reason i ask is a buddy that i helped to get his ccw told me today that he had received it, but not to tell anybody else. he said he didnt want ANYBODY to know, and i was the only one.

i thought that was a bit odd.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 27, 2010, 05:55 AM   #2
ac700wildcat

As far as people that actually know that I'm carrying there are like 3 or 4. Probably 10 or 15 people know I have a permit, but they don't know I carry.
Old January 27, 2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

All my friends, much of my extended family, and neighbors on each side of me know I carry.

As for your friend not wanting others to know, that isn't so weird. I avoided telling folks for the longest time because 1) I didn't know how many would react 2) I didn't see any benefit in telling them, and 3) they didn't have any reason to know. I certainly didn't feel that it would better my personal security situation by letting those know who didn't like the idea of me carrying.
Old January 27, 2010, 07:47 AM   #4
skoro

There are a small handful of folks who know I have a permit, like 5 or 6. The number who are aware that I'm carrying at any given time is very seldom more than 1 or two.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Scout

My wife and 2 children.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:24 AM   #6
The Great Mahoo

I think only 2 or 3 people know that I carry, and even then I suspect the assume only on special occassions (whatever that means). Most of my friends and the like know that I have a permit and enjoy shooting, but I don't think they guess that I carry on a regular basis.

Frankly, come to think of it, I have no idea. Its not really something that comes up. I am fairly certain no-one I know carries with any regularity, though one is looking to start.
Old January 27, 2010, 10:06 AM   #7
45Gunner

My wife is the only one that knows for sure. I have a friend and business partner and he knows I carry as I know he does. Other than that, I tell no one and for that matter, it is no one else's business, especially in a public area. The advantage of concealed carry is that no one knows you are carrying.

There have been a few social occasions when I have been hugged by a female friend and they have felt my gun through my jacket or sweater. When they ask, "What's that?" I simply state, ""I'm happy to see you," give them a little wink, and that's the end of the discussion. Coincidently, each time that has happened, I know that the woman's husband/boyfriend is a gun enthusiast and she immediately knew what was happening.
NRA Life Member
Old January 27, 2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Scatman

Several people know that I generally do but usually only I know when I'm actually carrying. I prefer to keep that information private as well. I CC because I don't want people to know, if I wanted everyone to know I would open carry. Of course I'm the kind of guy who likes to be unnoticed until I need to be.
Old January 27, 2010, 10:46 AM   #9
Mr. James

Well, since I often carry openly, pretty much the whole darned county!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old January 27, 2010, 10:50 AM   #10
NavyLT

Me too, Mr. James. Anybody who takes a second look at my belt and realizes that isn't a cell phone holster.
Old January 27, 2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Counting my immediate family, probably 15 or so. Only counting "non-family", 8 or 9.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old January 27, 2010, 01:02 PM   #12
KenpoTex

My close friends, a few people from work (who also carry), some of the students in the SD classes I used to teach, some immediate family members...probably 20 or so.

I can definitely appreciate the "I don't want anyone to know" attitude. Depending on your work/personal life, it could easily make perfect sense to adopt that attitude. I don't advertise the fact that I carry, but if I know someone well I don't care if they know.

Matt K.
Old January 27, 2010, 01:12 PM   #13
BurkGlocker

Besides family and really close friends, maybe 5 or so. It isnt something that I like to broadcast especially since being here in TX if you show, you go... to jail that is. I wished they would allow open carry, not so that I can 'broadcast' legally, but I just like to a least have the option to have it in a holster on my hip without having to go through the hassel of making sure that I am covered up. But that is a whole different thread... My apoligies...
Old January 27, 2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

There are 85K members of TFL - that kind of does it for me.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 27, 2010, 01:55 PM   #15
rburch

Let's see...

Took the class with my Dad, Brother, & Sister in Law. We all got permits.

My Mom, Sister, and Brother all know I do.

Grandparents (Dad's side)

7-8 Uncles/Aunts from both sides know

10 or so cousins

My Fiance, her sister, her parents, maybe her mom's parents.

Maybe 10-15 friends.

At most 10 people I don't know well.

Oh and probably 10-15 folks from my local gun shops that I don't know much at all.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old January 27, 2010, 02:44 PM   #16
Glenn Dee

Pretty much everyone allowed to... all my friends carry. Most of my workers carry. But then I live in Florida
Old January 27, 2010, 08:26 PM   #17
TailGator

Need to know only. Wife, 2 kids, 2 employees (because they see me take off my jacket and put on a lab coat at least a couple of times a day). Other than that, maybe half a dozen close friends with whom the subject has come up for legitimate reasons. In my opinion, it is not something that needs to be advertised or discussed. My choice, my business.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:45 PM   #18
bigghoss

handfull of close friends and my parents, I'd say about a dozen. all trustworthy people I've known for years.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:50 PM   #19
Suwannee Tim

Too many. To make a long story short, I was an officer in a canoe club. A crazy woman in the club took a hate to me and my wife and began, first to spread rumors about us then causing havoc in board and membership meetings then threats. Threatened me with an ass whooping, trouble with my job, trouble with the City. What really got my attention was when she began telling people she was afraid of me because I packed iron. Well, if she was so afraid, why was she making so much trouble for me? Then I was threatened with trouble with The Law. Putting them together, I came up with a false accusation involving a gun. Time to leave. I hated, really, really hated to leave the club but out of self-preservation I did. The less people who know the better. Same with my guns, the less the better. Many times I listened to a conversation, keeping my peace, sometimes throwing in a bit here or there, never, "Well I've got one of these and I've got one of those." I keep my mouth shut. Same on the forums. I never say anything really specific like "If I had been in a situation like that, I would have done this and that...."
Old January 27, 2010, 09:15 PM   #20
orionengnr

My fiancee and the guy who I took my CHL class with.
The RO at my local range.
Maybe a few people who I have taken shooting strongly suspect it, because they have expressed an interest in getting their CHLs, asked me some questions, and I seem to know a fair bit about the subject.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:29 PM   #21
berettaprofessor

Sometimes, I don't even tell myself that I'm carrying
Old January 27, 2010, 11:07 PM   #22
jborushko

all of my friends and family...200+ i guess. but thn anybody that knows me knows im a gun nut so *shrugs*
Old January 27, 2010, 11:37 PM   #23
troy_mclure

so far i have helped 4 friends get their permits. recommended them to courses, where to get finger printed, notarized, etc...

if it hadn't come up(generally during gun discussions) they would never have known how easy it is to get the permit.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 28, 2010, 01:06 AM   #24
45Gunner

I would think that if open carry is allowed by law, it would still be more beneficial to conceal carry, providing of course one has the permit. I always play the "what if" scenario in my head. Seems if I were a BG about to commit a wrong, I would recon the area and if there was someone with a gun interfering with my intentions, I would take him out of play first.

I just am not comfortable letting anyone knowing that I carry, especially when you are in busy places as it is just an invitation for something I would rather not see happen.

Not saying that this is or would be the case. It just makes it that more difficult for anyone to really know if you are carrying if you don't broadcast it. The average person on the street isn't even thinking guns if everything looks normal, what normal may look like.
NRA Life Member
Old January 28, 2010, 02:06 AM   #25
Lancel

Two - my wife and my mother. For 25 years, only my wife knew.