The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 26, 2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Ganderson

Range Report: Ruger SR9 vs Glock 19

This is my first real post on this forum so take it with a grain of salt I guess , but I thought I might as well contribute something someone might find interesting.

On my lunchtime trip to the range today I rented their gen.3 Glock 19 to do a little head to head comparison with my SR9. I was tempted to do this because I keep hearing about what a great gun the G19 is and the SR9 is frequently mentioned as a direct competitor so to be honest I wanted to see what I might be missing.

Anyway, below are a few comparative observations from the session. FWIW my SR9 has almost 900 rounds through it and like I said, the Glock is a range rental but appeared in perfect condition. Also, I have never fired a Glock before today. I put about 75 rounds through each pistol and of course this is all my humble opinion.

Mag Loading: Might be a trivial issue for some but the first thing I noticed was how much EASIER it is to load the Glocks mag. I have tried to "break-in" my SR9's mags through use and keeping them loaded at home but they just seem unnecessarily stiff to load without the loading tool... especially compared to the Glock. 15 rds load smoothly into the Glock mag with just fingers, IMO the way it should be with a defense oriented pistol.

Racking the slide: Again, may be trivial but since I have seen a few complaints about the stoutness of the SR9's recoil spring I though it might be worth mentioning. The Glock requires maybe 15-20% less effort to cycle the slide but not a huge difference to me. I think I prefer the feel of the slide serrations on the SR9 though. It's also worth mentioning that the slide release lever on the Glock requires FAR less effort to actuate one handed... the release on my SR9 is really stiff and can barely be done 1 handed.

Ergonomics: The difference in grip angle was a non-issue for me. I was expecting to notice it more with all of the talk about the Glock design but it pointed fine and I didn't feel I was having to make any odd corrections once out in front of me.

The grip shape of the the Glock though was a different story. The rectangular profile combined with the "humped" backstrap shape was just odd feeling in my hand. I have medium sized hands and I could get plenty of solid feeling grip on it, as a matter of fact my fingers wrap further around it than with the SR9, but it just felt like I was hanging onto a utilitarian tool that wasn't sculpted with a whole lot of consideration given to the shape of the human hand. Going back and forth between the Glock and the SR9 was shocking from a comfort perspective. The SR9 simply feels organic, like an extension of your hand in contrast to the Glock. Also, for me a high, thumbs forward grip felt much more natural with the Ruger.

Sights: The Glock's blockier fixed sights lined up a little quicker and easier for me and I preferred the markings on the Glock sights as well. The sights on the SR9 are ok but I would gladly sacrifice the rear adjustable and trade them in for the Glock style.

Trigger: Glock wins. Not quite as crisp a break as the SR9 but the pull is lighter, smoother and more consistent and it seems to reset faster. I do not care for the SR9 trigger at all and hope to God that there is an aftermarket option available soon (GHOST!).

Recoil: Due to the weight difference I thought I knew what to expect here but was still surprised at how much sharper the recoil was with the Glock with the same loads. Not bad or anything but when compared directly the SR9 has noticably less muzzle flip and "softer" recoil and is quicker to get back on target after the shot.

Accuracy: Really close. If I had to choose I would say my Glock groups were slightly tighter. I would also have to say that this was because of the better trigger and better sights... things which will hopefully be easily fixable with the Ruger eventually.

That's all I can think of right now.

It was a lot of fun. I was honestly expecting to be swept off my feet by the Glock's amazingness to the point of rehearsing mock conversations with my wife about why I came home with a new Glock tonight but left the range/shop without one and pretty happy with my Ruger for now.

I did like the Glock though... it shot great for a little brick and would probably be a better CCW than the SR9.
Old January 26, 2010, 04:52 PM   #2
7east

Good write up. I have a G19 and like it, but was thinking about getting an SR9 because of the price. Think i'll just stick with the Glock though. No use in spending money on one when the money would go to better use getting more ammo for the G19
Old January 28, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
erob3

Its so ironic that you posted this just a couple of days ago. I am actually wrestling with which 9mm may be the best purchase. I can get a SR9 for $390 or a Glock 19 for $490, both NIB. So which one? Is the Glock really worth $100 difference right now? If I decided to sell it down the road would it be easier to to get rid of the GLock than the Ruger? Interesting dilemma. I really enjoyed the comparisons. Looking forward to any other opinions.
Old January 28, 2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Conradm

erob3, you should wait and handle the SR9c, it has a revised lightened trigger as far as I understand.
Old January 28, 2010, 11:41 PM   #5
wingspar

Well, I looked at the SR9, but went with a Glock 17. From what the guy at the gun store told me, the SR9 was supposed to be a direct competitor with the Glock 17, which could account for some of your comparison differences.

I only handled an SR9 a couple of times, so my experience is limited. I did not like the trigger pull on the SR9, but did like the way it felt and it’s size. The Glock trigger was much smoother.

Recoil difference could be due to the Glock being a tad bit smaller? Just guessing. Ruger doesn’t seem to show any specs on the SR9 on their site, so I can’t look at the size and weight of the Ruger.
Old January 28, 2010, 11:46 PM   #6
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by erob3
I can get a SR9 for $390 or a Glock 19 for $490, both NIB.
I never saw an SR9 for less than $510. That sounds like one of those “to true to be good” deals. I’ve heard of new Glock 19's for $490, but not around here. I got my 17 for $549 out the door back in November.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:33 AM   #7
hometheaterman

Quote:
Its so ironic that you posted this just a couple of days ago. I am actually wrestling with which 9mm may be the best purchase. I can get a SR9 for $390 or a Glock 19 for $490, both NIB. So which one? Is the Glock really worth $100 difference right now? If I decided to sell it down the road would it be easier to to get rid of the GLock than the Ruger? Interesting dilemma. I really enjoyed the comparisons. Looking forward to any other opinions.
Have you heard about GSSF? I had a forum member on either here or another forum mention it to me. If you sign up with them which is $35 a year you can get a certificate to purchase one Glock per year at law enforcement pricing. I'm not sure what the price on the Glock 19's are you'd have to look. I do know on the G26's though they were about $120-130 cheaper than local shops when I was looking. Over on Glocktalk.com they talk about this some and have the pricing sheets posted.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:35 AM   #8
hometheaterman

Quote:
I never saw an SR9 for less than $510. That sounds like one of those “to true to be good” deals. I’ve heard of new Glock 19's for $490, but not around here. I got my 17 for $549 out the door back in November.
I've never seen a SR9 that was that expensive to be honest. You can get them at local stores here for around $420. I've seen them at Gun shows even cheaper than that. I think the cheapest I've seen a new one has been around $407 or something like that. $390 isn't all that much cheaper than that.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:37 AM   #9
hometheaterman

As for the Glock vs SR9 comparison I liked this thread. It was a great write up. To me from handing a SR9 it's a great feeling gun no doubt about it. I really like it. The only thing that worries me about the SR9 is all the issues with the barrel peening. I'm a Ruger fan generally but that makes me wonder. Is it really something you'd want to trust for your everyday carry gun? It may be I'm not sure. Just seems like I'm hearing a lot of complaints about barrel peening. I'm wondering though is the barrel just peening and the gun still working fine? Or is it peening and causing the gun to jam? I've asked a few people as I've read quite a few posts about having to send theirs in to get it fixed. I've only heard a couple say it actually jammed. So I wonder if it just affects looks or if it actually affects performance?
Old January 29, 2010, 02:09 AM   #10
riggins_83

Impactguns... $400.99

http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676033010.html
Old January 29, 2010, 07:17 AM   #11
spacecoast

Quote:
I can get a SR9 for $390 or a Glock 19 for $490, both NIB.
Get the P95 for $290, you won't be sorry.
Old January 29, 2010, 08:47 AM   #12
katana8869

Outstanding write-up. I already had a Glock 19 when the SR9 came out, but I am a huge Ruger fan. If I were in the market for a 9mm I would be really giving the SR9 some very serious thought. .
Old January 29, 2010, 09:12 AM   #13
passintime

SR9 for $390 all day long around here.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:58 AM   #14
goodspeed(TPF)

Well done. Thank you.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 29, 2010, 10:13 AM   #15
Ganderson

I paid 429 for mine in the Austin area.

As far as the peening goes, mine doesn't have it and I assume MOST of the SR9's out there don't have it. The ones that do appear to be really obvious after a few hundred rounds.

Spacecoast recommended the P95. When I bought the SR9 I was actually going in with the intent of coming home with a P95... until I held one. Not a good fit for me at all but by most accounts a great pistol.

I think Glock's are the closest you can get to a sure thing from a utilitarian standpoint and I'm sure I could get used to the "feel"... that and they shoot great. If you can deal with the ergos then you are all set, just don't do a side-by-side with the SR9.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:26 AM   #16
Ganderson

wingspar,

You are correct, the recoil difference is likely partially due to the SR9 being slightly longer/heavier and also because it has a nice low bore axis. It is a very gentle kicker.

I also think the ergos play into that: The better the ergos, the better your grip = more control of the weapon.

The specs are under the "models" tab on the SR9 page:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9Bla...eets/3305.html
Old January 29, 2010, 01:01 PM   #17
erob3

Spacecoast, I have owned a P89 for many years and it is a great pistol. I swear I think if a person could fire gravel/nails through it - it would shoot them. I have never had a FTF or any other kind of problem with it. It's like an old '55 Chevy - it just keeps on going. It's on the larger size of a 9mm, I have a couple of compacts and was just looking at something in the middle. The Glock 19 seemed to fit that. The Glock goes back so many years - it's not fancy - just a solid pistol and reliable to the point of being boring. I do like Ruger and sometimes it seems they do not get the respect they deserve when it comes to semi-autos. However, when the SR9 came out it caught my eye and now the SR9c is available. Certainly the safety recall was an issue with the earlier SR9's but that apparently has been fixed. Taurus also has a couple of new compacts out this year, perhaps...
Old January 30, 2010, 01:49 PM   #18
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I've never seen a SR9 that was that expensive to be honest. You can get them at local stores here for around $420. I've seen them at Gun shows even cheaper than that. I think the cheapest I've seen a new one has been around $407 or something like that. $390 isn't all that much cheaper than that.
Where is “Around Here”? Cheapest I’ve seen around here is $510. Saw one in the display case at the LGS yesterday, but I didn’t think to look at the price tag. I had my next gun on the brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganderson
wingspar,

You are correct, the recoil difference is likely partially due to the SR9 being slightly longer/heavier and also because it has a nice low bore axis. It is a very gentle kicker.

I also think the ergos play into that: The better the ergos, the better your grip = more control of the weapon.

The specs are under the "models" tab on the SR9 page:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9Bla...eets/3305.html
Thanks for the link. I could not find anything like that on the SR9 on the Ruger site, and I looked. I remember the SR9 being feeling much thinner in profile, but the spec page says it is thicker than my Glock 17, and the G19.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:14 PM   #19
allenomics

Thanks for what seems like a fair and thoughtful report. I agree that Glock is better in many ways save ergonomics.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:29 PM   #20
mwg84

For what it's worth

I've had an sr9 for about a year. 1000+ rounds. I've had a FTF issue. Sent to Ruger once and they fixed the extractor (or so they said). It still failed. Sent it back a second time and they said nothing was fixed. Next time at range it worked w/o failure. Given reliability issues with my particular gun, was looking for something different. In my price range, the Glock19 wins hands down. I like the G19 trigger and am more accurate with the pistol.
Old February 5, 2010, 04:53 PM   #21
jonsparks

I haven't fired an SR9 but I prefer the Glock(26 specifically) because I can easily replace parts myself, I can find said parts(and magazines) everywhere and the reliability, rapid fire accuracy and trigger reset are impressive.