The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 21, 2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Jim March

The most sensible 2.5" length .410 revolver yet!

The new one by Heritage Arms:

Photo credit via Gunblast of course:

http://www.gunblast.com/SHOT_2010_2.htm

OK. Right about now y'all think I've lost my mind, right? Because I'm actually serious here.

See, the .410 shell is nothing I'd trust my life to from a wheelgun, esp. not the 2.5" length. In 3" it's still marginal but you can pack five 38cal round balls in it and put a reasonable amount of hurt out, so arguably it has some role (in some cases at least) for personal defense. But in 2.5"? Fuggeduboudit. Great for varmint control around a farm or something, but as a lifesaving tool? Nope.

Ditto Heritage revolvers! OK, they do generally work all right but the safety is beyond funky as is basically the whole gun. But they're OK as a general plinker, as a "kid's gun", maybe as pest control (in .22LR/.22Mag). Not a serious personal defense gun. (Neither is the similarly constructed Cimarron Plinkerton .22LR SAA clone, but I own one of those as a trainer/practice understudy for my similar size/heft NewVaq357, with no regrets.)

But what happens when you put these together - .410 Heritage? You have a great knockabout farm gun, rat-blaster, etc, probably half the price of a Judge and with it's longer barrel, the Heritage is probably going to be more effective.

For those situations where your life doesn't depend on it, the combination of Heritage and .410 2.5" is pure win - ONLY for those situations, but they do exist.
Old January 21, 2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Qwiks draw

I feel the same way you, up to a point about the use of the .410/.45 Colt guns. That and the real world ammo pros and cons.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=23048.0

My only concern is how the gun holds up with use. Not that that one will not. Far from it.

Nice looking revolver.
Old January 21, 2010, 05:00 AM   #3
hickstick_10

ah heritage

home of the 400 dollar 45 :barf:
Old January 21, 2010, 05:36 AM   #4
Jim March

Yeah, and the home of the $200ish potmetal clone of the Ruger Single Six .

They're not heirloom guns, we know that. But that's my point: some guns aren't bought as life-saving tools, so you actually CAN skimp some.

In this case, it's a ratty gun for killin' rats. Makes sense to me.

What's crazy to me is basically a similar gun, similar chambering (well, might be 3") and gotta be 4x the price at the BFR booth. Spending that kind of money on basically a toy-grade caliber (from a rifled handgun) seems...silly at best.
Old January 21, 2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

Silly? ... Yes
Fun? Most definitely.

We all have guns that we like, but others would wonder why in the heck would you want that?

I am just glad that we have choices other than 9mm and 5.56mm.
Old January 21, 2010, 10:12 AM   #6
Locoweed

* Jim March * I had a 6" and a 3" Judge and the shorter barrel definitely threw a better pattern. I think the longer barrel imparts more spin to the shot load and it causes it open up more quickly.
Old January 21, 2010, 10:32 AM   #7
2rugers

Same way I feel about my Taurus 94.

I did not buy it to hang on the wall.

I bought it to shoot the snot out of it, throw it on the dash of the jeep, leave it laying around neglected for long periods of time etc. etc. etc.

For that role this revolver looks like it would fit the bill well.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

What - I thought this thread would be about the Polymer Judge snubbies that you can put in your pocket!

Amazing how polymer revolvers are appearing. The Russians did it first though - I think.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 21, 2010, 01:06 PM   #9
Buzzcook

If I ever have a big snake problem I moght consider one.
Old January 21, 2010, 01:15 PM   #10
azredhawk44

Went to WalMart and the only ammo they had in stock was .410 "handgun" ammo.:barf:

I guess I've just never had the rat problems everyone else does.
Old January 21, 2010, 02:42 PM   #11
rburch

Lol, I want one to take next time I go shoot trap with my brother.

Not gonna pay for it.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old January 21, 2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

I definately have a use...

& sometimes we get rid of stuff with too much haste...

I sold off a 10" Contender barrel in .410 / 45 Colt early last year, because I could see no use for it, at the time... I already had a 10" 45 Colt ( only ) barrel I set up for deer hunting, & have a 16" vent rib 410 / 45 Colt barrel I leave set up for use with the 410 shells for rabbits & other farm varmint use...

now I have a permit to carry, but before I was carrying, I used to keep a 4" stainless Ruger GP-100 ( in a case ) along with 3 speed loaders of assorted 357 mag ammo ( in a seperate case ) in a cubby hole in my truck for shooting skunks or woodchucks if I saw them on our long driveway from the truck when I was coming or going from home... now that I have my permit I usually have something lighter, yet just as potent strapped to the belt, & the old Ruger can go to the safe, after many years of dedicated truck use...

... part of the trouble with the old truck gun, was most often I'd see those varmints at night, after the crops came out, & the little beasts would be running across the plowed fields, often heading right towards my house... I don't want to keep something too big at the ready, & often shots in the dark were rushed, & one shot from a bullet wasn't enough... lately I've been thinking about that 10" Contender barrel, with a modern tactical light mounted under the barrel...

but a repeater like the Judge, or this new offering, might be the ticket ??? I've been watching & listening to all I can on these revolvers, to see if I want one, or if I need to dig up another 10" .410 barrel... I have no illusion that this is a good self defense gun against humans... but against local skunks of the 4 legged variety, it's likely ideal...

whats the expected price of these Heritage guns ???
Old January 21, 2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Jim March

I doubt it'll be more than $250-$300 street price.

I'd be tempted to fire-lap the crap out of the barrel with .410 slugs slathered in toothpaste until it's "almost a smoothbore, but not quite for legal purposes". You'd then have exactly the sort of close-range varmint annihilator it's supposed to be good for.
Old January 21, 2010, 03:13 PM   #14
SilentHitz

I might would get one just for fun, if my over 400 rounds of .410 wasn't metal cased 3" slugs.

http://k5fv.com/
Old January 21, 2010, 03:14 PM   #15
ChiefMuzz

That's one ugly monster. It looks like the cylinder is about 8 sizes too big for the frame.
Old January 21, 2010, 03:17 PM   #16
Webleymkv

If it's as inexpensive as you suggest, I could see it being a useful car or truck gun. I believe the Judge was initially marketed as an anti-carjacking gun. While a 2.5" .410 shell isn't the most confidence inspiring cartridge, 9 24-caliber pellets in the face at point-blank range is likely to make a carjacker re-evaluate his decision-making paradigm. Also, .45 LC JHP's back up that buckshot nicely should it not be persuasive enough.
Old January 21, 2010, 05:58 PM   #17
publius

Jim, I like your idea of wearing the rifleing out to an extent. I have always thought the Judge should have been straight rifled. This would keep it in compliance with the Feds and would throw a better pattern. wouldn't shoot the .45 very well but everyone is really buying them to shoot the .410.