The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 15, 2010, 06:29 PM   #1
ranger dave

ar 15

with the ar 15 craze slowing down. i have one more lower to build and sell . what should i built to move the fastest
Old January 15, 2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Chipperman

M4 profile barrel with flat top and 6 position stock. Anything more extravagant will cost you more to build and probably net less percentage-wise.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:46 PM   #3
landcruzr

throw a bottom rail on the bottom of the hand guard and a removable carry handle-
Then it has sights that allow for immediate use without further purchase, and they can add a few accessories as they go.
Old January 16, 2010, 03:54 AM   #4
NSO_w/_SIG

I agree 16" , M4 profile, flat top, mag-pul MBUS and MOE handguard and stock.

Just hope you have the proper licenses to be building and selling.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Chipperman

If he's using a serial-numbered stripped lower, he's not actually making a gun. The gun legally already exists, he's just finishing it.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:59 AM   #6
NSO_w/_SIG

Quote:
If he's using a serial-numbered stripped lower, he's not actually making a gun. The gun legally already exists, he's just finishing it.
I understand that but I believe the way the law reads is.... you know what I am going to re-look it up, I just don't have the time now.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Ridge_Runner_5

You only need an FFL license if firearms sales constitutes your primary source of income. Unless he mows lawns for a living, this likely wont be the case from selling the 1 gun...
Old January 16, 2010, 03:14 PM   #8
NSO_w/_SIG

I thought you could not buy guns with the sole intent on building it up and reselling it. Not that it could really be proven on someone that does it few and far between, but I thought it said something like you don't need an FFL if you are selling out your private collection. Still haven't had time to research it.
Old January 16, 2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Chipperman

Quote:
I thought you could not buy guns with the sole intent on building it up and reselling it.
You may be thinking of the C&R license regs. Those state that you are not supposed to use your C&R license to acquire guns to sell as a business.

There is nothing wrong with buying a stripped AR lower and an upper kit, assembling it and selling. If you were to do it a lot, essentially making a business out of it, then ATF would want you to have a Dealer FFL.
Old January 16, 2010, 04:24 PM   #10
DMK

Quote:
M4 profile barrel with flat top and 6 position stock. Anything more extravagant will cost you more to build and probably net less percentage-wise.
I agree. Keep it simple and let the next owner accessorize it.

Definitely use a chrome lined barrel and put on a removable carry handle though.
Old January 16, 2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Catfish25p2000

+1
Old January 16, 2010, 10:25 PM   #12
ranger dave

ar 15

sorry atf supporters the striped lower is the firearm . i filled out the 4473 and did the brack ground check
Old January 17, 2010, 05:55 AM   #13
NSO_w/_SIG

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with buying a stripped AR lower and an upper kit, assembling it and selling. If you were to do it a lot, essentially making a business out of it, then ATF would want you to have a Dealer FFL.
I realize that, and that last sentence was what I was eluding too.

" I have one more lower to build and sell"

Despite what crazy Dave says here, it was more concern for the way he worded that.

I have sold AR's out of my collection too, even stripped lowers, maybe I am just paranoid but I wouldn't want it to sound like I was buying up AR lowers with the intent on doing nothing with them but reselling them.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:04 AM   #14
Bartholomew Roberts

The law reads:

Quote:
(a) It shall be unlawful -
(1) for any person -
(A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or
licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing,
manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such
business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in
interstate or foreign commerce; or
Engaged in the business of dealing firearms means a person who devotes time, attention and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms (18 USC 921(a)(11)(A).

Quote:
You only need an FFL license if firearms sales constitutes your primary source of income.
This is not true. If you sell guns for the primary purpose of making money, then you need an FFL. However, the sale of guns does not need to be your primary source of income.

Here is an excellent case on the subject. It goes over the legal test and factors involved in such a conviction. The man in question bought 9 guns over 8 months and sold 8 of them. He was convicted in dealing in firearms without an FFL - a conviction that carries a mandatory five year sentence in a federal prison these days.

http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documen...s/05D0776P.pdf
Old January 17, 2010, 09:42 AM   #15
NSO_w/_SIG

Quote:
The man in question bought 9 guns over 8 months and sold 8 of them. He was convicted in dealing in firearms.
I was searching the legal section over at ar15.com because I knew I had seen a post that had this case or one like it posted.

As always with anything in that large gray area with the ATF I would error on the side of caution.