The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 10, 2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Mslisaj

Adding Gun Safe Door Fire Seal

I have a 12 year old Cannon 12-FB fire safe. But the technology has certainly improved for the door seals and I would like to add a Palusol door seal to this safe but I can't find where to buy this material. Any thoughts, ideas on this project to make a good safe better?

Thanks so much for the feedback........

Lisa
Old January 10, 2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Have you contacted Cannon to see if they know of any local contacts that sell it?

Also, I'd contact a1abdj. He's a member here that's a safe technician. He might know some contacts for you too to buy the right material. Here's his personal profile link. The link to his business is there, too.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/member.php?u=33339

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 10, 2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Mslisaj

Thanks Tuttle for your reply. Yes I did contact Cannon and got no reply. I gather that being this is an old safe they are not very interested in answering my questions. Never the less it is a good safe and I am happy with it. But adding the "new" door seal would be an improvement. I'll send a note to that link that you send me and see what I can come up with there.

Thanks again for your time and response.........

Lisa
Old January 10, 2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

No problem, Lisa. Just do us all a favor and let us know what transpires.

Deal?

Old January 10, 2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Mslisaj

Absolutely! I appreciate this forum and to get other ideas. I learn a lot this way. Will keep you all posted on how my search goes. I'm still researching the fire rating on this safe as it says "UL Listed IR 186" yet I can't find that standard anywhere to find out exactly what that means. But I'll keep digging and post my results.............

Lisa
Old January 18, 2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Mslisaj

Hi Tuttle,

After a pretty exhaustive search I finally came up with the manufacture. Here is a link to them and the product:

http://www.ngpinc.com/product_view.cfm?nProduct_ID=3894

You can dig through their website and see other door sealing products but this one will work for me. You can buy just what you need but you have to get hooked up with a local supplier that will order what you need. This website says $2.40 a foot and I'm sure that is the whole sale price but even if when it finally gets to me it's $5 a foot it's worth that to me to reseal this door correctly and to todays specifications..........

You asked me to get back to you with what I found and here you go........

By the way, Cannon Safe NEVER responded to any of my email either from their website or their Tech support team. I finally called them and my friends Children answer the phone in a more professional manner. Plus I NEVER did get to a living customer support person. So take that for what it's worth.......

Thanks for your help.......

Lisa
Old January 18, 2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

No problem, Lisa. Thanks for the update. I'm sorry Cannon's customer service wasn't up to snuff. That link should help out fellow members in case they're in the same predicament.

Old January 18, 2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Mslisaj

I hope others can use that info. In my travels around the web I found other people who wanted to buy the fire seal and were looking like me for the product. I just got lucky and found these people and while I don't know exactly what it's going to cost yet at least I found the product and by Friday when I get home I'll have all the rest of the information and hopefully have 13' coming to retrofit and improve my gun safe............

Thanks for the forum.........

Lisa