The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Jack45

Do-It-Yourself Rifle Stock?

I have this rifle with a synthetic stock but I want a wood stock for it. Only problem is that there aren't any available for this specific rifle. I don't see why people can't just carve up a stock themselves... I don't see how any precision is required.

Or... Are there any companies that can custom build a stock for a rifle?
Old January 8, 2010, 01:09 PM   #2
sserdlihc

Just Googled these

http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/

http://www.westcustomrifles.com/customriflestocks.htm
Old January 8, 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
davlandrum

Quote:
I don't see why people can't just carve up a stock themselves...
Same reason I didn't build my own dining room table - while a sheet of plywood cut roughly oval with sawhorses for legs would work for a table, I don't think I would want anyone to see it...

If you have the desire, the time, and are happy with the results - go for it. With the price of nice wood close to that of gold, I would probably experiment on cheap stuff first...

YMMV

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 8, 2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Jimro

If you have all the tools, skill, and time, there is nothing that says you can't make a very nice stock.

It isn't all the hard, it just takes a lot of skill to do by hand or specialized equipment to do with tools. Heck even the hand tools are pretty specialized.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old January 8, 2010, 05:23 PM   #5
wogpotter

Quote:
I don't see how any precision is required.
google "bedding" & get back to me.
Old January 8, 2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Scorch

Anyone can carve a stock from a big chunk of wood. I have seen some stocks that people made themselves, some of them had great skills, others not so much. Some of the stocks looked great, others not so great. But anyone can do it. My favorite was the "laminated" stock cut out of 1" plywood (because after all, plywood is laminated, you know).

For most common rifles, talk to the folks at Richards Micro-Fit.
www.rifle-stocks.com
Taylor Machine
Old January 8, 2010, 06:13 PM   #7
mrawesome22

I made a stock for my Knight American 50cal ML. Luckily my dad has been a wood worker for many years so I had access to all the needed tools and knowledge. It is a cheap gun but man is that thing a tack driver. I was however not thrilled with the hollow tupperwear stock. The new stock is beautiful however and it's something I'll have fond memories of.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:04 PM   #8
deanpf

Check this out:

http://doantrevor.com/tag/rifle-stock/
Old January 8, 2010, 10:28 PM   #9
troy_mclure

just get your self a 8"x8" and an old timer and get to whittlin!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 8, 2010, 11:22 PM   #10
Buzzcook

Take the measurments of your current stock and get to it. You might want to do a test on soft wood first.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:44 PM   #11
impalacustom

For the first link Richard doesn't do any stocks anymore, he sold all his stuff to Greg of the second link. Expect about a 4 month wait for a stock from Greg as well. You won't find a better stock maker and he is an amazing craftsman, the sky's the limit on wood prices too. He built 2 of mine and will be building more.
Old January 9, 2010, 11:17 PM   #12
duck911

Boyds makes uninlet stocks:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Uninle...-Only-s/61.htm

The outside shape of the stock is basically done, you just cut out the receiver and barrel channels, then finish.

--Duck911
Old January 9, 2010, 11:24 PM   #13
Italian_Marksman94

Nice things about carving your own stock is you could pick any wood you want, my dad sells exotic wood from all over the world as a side job and many of his buyers are people who wanted to carve up their own stocks, I only saw the finished product of one and it looked really sweet.
Old January 24, 2010, 10:12 PM   #14
jleppo

Been looking for an aftermarket stock for my Swiss K-31, but what I want (roughly similar to a McMillan A-3, or a KS Precision) doesn't exist, so I'm looking at doing a laminated wood stock. There have been some one-off custom ones done in Europe, but either unavailable or WAY expensive. There was even a bullpup sniper version to accommodate a long suppressor.
Anyway, to stay on topic:
From a woodworker's point of view - I'm thinking of using Baltic birch plywood. Readily available from woodworking tool suppliers (Rockler, for one), reasonable cost, strong, thin plys with no voids, and not extremely heavy. Also, the plys run the grain in the same direction, which I think would be better for a stock - after all, a natural wood stock has the fibers running the same direction. I'd basically dimension it from the existing military stock and then modify the exterior. Probably an epoxy paint coating, or perhaps even something like bedliner.
The inletting could be partially handled in the glue-up by making cutouts in the inside plys. Finishing the inletting would be hard on hand tools, but do-able. The exterior shape could be bandsawn very close to shape before glue-up, and the plys could even be doweled or biscuit-joined together to keep them aligned.
It will take me a while, but if it comes out worth looking at I'll post some pics.
Old January 25, 2010, 01:56 AM   #15
2DaMtns

That's a great find on the links. I live about 15 or 20 minutes from those guys in VA. I might have to see if I can drop by and see some of their handiwork.
Old January 25, 2010, 03:47 PM   #16
Olympus

Quote:
I don't see why people can't just carve up a stock themselves... I don't see how any precision is required.
I had to go back a second time to sure I had read that correctly. There is a reason that handmade rifle stocks are so expensive. Just selecting a blank and letting it dry will take years. And considering how the relationship between the fit of the stock and the barreled action will significanly affect accuracy, precision is exactly what's required.

My hat's off to anyone who has made their own rifle stock by hand because I know what's required to make a top notch rifle stock. It's no "rainy weekend project" either...

Exhibition quality 1911 grips!