The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2010, 03:58 PM   #1
snakyjake

HK45c vs. 1911 Compact: Size, Flip, Recoil

I'm considering the HK45c and Springfield SS Loaded Champion.

Grip Size
I have medium hands, and like the 1911 size grips. I also liked the P2000 size grips. I can't find a HK45c to hold.
How does the grip circumference/size compare? Is the HK45c a single stack?

Overall Size
Which one is thinner to carry?

Recoil/Flip
HK45c has something regarding dual recoil buffer and bushing.
Springfield has the weight of steel and has dual recoil springs (not sure about a "buffer").
How does the muzzle flip compare?
How does the recoil compare?

Thanks,
Jake
Old January 7, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2
mnhntr

Now you have gone and done it! Comparing what I believe to be the best auto platform (1911) and the best polymer pistol on the market.
While I have only shot one champion sized 1911 I liked it ALMOST as much as a fullsize. I believe the fullsize to be better for me.
I own a USPc in 357sig and love it. I have shot a USP in 45 but not a USPc in 45. Concealment is not hard with either, bit the 1911 is a slight bit slimmer, and the trigger housing is more forward on the USP. I have carried both the fullsize 1911 and my USPc and found I like carrying the 1911 better.
Grip size is a huge factor for me as I have medium to small hands and the grip while different on each, is comfortable on both.
Muzzle flip is a slight more noticable on the USP due to weight and grip.
I love both pistols and wouldn't bad mouth either. Good luck on which ever you choose, but I would have to take the 1911 if I could only have one.
Old January 8, 2010, 07:15 AM   #3
D-Man

Kind of a bump here, as I'm interested to see if others have thoughts about this. I own a HK45c, and have owned a 1911, though unfortunately never did an A/B comparison at the range with both.

The HK45c is more along the lines of a 1.5 stack meaning that it's definitely not a single stack, but it isn't as thick as a double stack .45. With a 1911 you have much more grip options to get it to perfectly fit your hand. The HK does have the back straps you can change out, but that's about it (other than throwing a Hogue Handall over it).

The commander sized 1911 should be thinner to carry.

The recoil in the HK45c is not bad at all. While it may be a lighter gun, the recoil buffer and polymer construction may tend to even things out when comparing it against a 1911.

A few other random comments to think of:

- The Champion comes stock with night sights. The HK would need to have them installed aftermarket which can be pricy.
- The HK offers a multitude of trigger options - are you looking at the standard DA/SA model?
- The Champion has a bull bushing which I am not familiar with using. Some people tend not to like this setup - you'll need to know if it's OK with you.

Tags
1911 , flip , hk45c , recoil , size