The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2010, 10:45 PM   #1
xnavydiver

Scope for Ruger Mk III Competition

It's time....the eyes just aren't what they used to be. Can anyone recommend a quality scope for my Ruger Mark III Competition model suitable for some silhouette shooting? Is there anything good in the $200 price range? Never shot with a pistol scope before and don't know where to start looking.
Thanks!
Old January 3, 2010, 12:28 AM   #2
SVO

Getting old isn't for amatuers. I tried a 2X7 pistol scope on a Ruger 22/45, but found that I preferred a Pro Point red dot type sight instead. Red dot worked fine on 75 yard turkeys. Used a B-Square scope mount for the mounting the scope. You may want to ask around to find someone locally who has a scoped pistol that you might could try out. Luck with it.
Old January 3, 2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Flint Ridge

Not trying to send you away..

Here is where I go for all my Ruger MK II stuff. They have a section just for the MK III as well.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

I have several MK II's and have been wanting to do a Matchdot Ultradot, as that seems to be the concensus. Some have actual magnifying scopes, but it magnifies everything. So if you are trying to shoot 25 yards and have a 4x scope then it will basically magnify your hand shaking by 4x's.

The Ultradot, in Matchdot configuration has several size dots to adjust to. If weight is an issue several seem to use the Burris Fast Fire or a few C-Mores.

So check that out and let us know. You will find plenty of posts from chaps like us with eyes that are getting weaker and how pleased they are with the dots.

Happy plinking!
Old January 13, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4
KMO

The Road Ends at Ultra Dot

I just finished this whirlwind process for my own Mark III, and the road to a decision wound all over creation. I started off thinking I wanted a 2x20 scope, and ended up purchasing a red dot. I'll spare you all of the logic & emotion that went into this decision...I chose the Ultra Dot from MidwayUSA... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=914878

www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com