The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 23, 2009, 05:54 PM   #1
britrecko

Moisin Nagant 1895 revolver barrel removal

i wish to add a detachable 9mm registered suppressor to the barrel of an Moisin Nagant 1895 revolver. i have seen a you tube posting alleging that this can be done because of the forward chamber cylinder advancing forward as the cylinder rotates to form a gas tight seal.Can anyone tell me if it is necessary to remove the barrel to lathe the screw thread? the suppressor would be over not inserted into the barrel .The work would be done by a duly registered gunsmith. Also does anyone have a ballpark gunsmith's charges for this service? and has anyone ever seen or heard of such a conversion? I realise that the suppressor would be not as quit when fired with the 7.62 Nagant ammo.
Old December 24, 2009, 03:14 PM   #2
RAnb

To thread the barrel of my Nagant, I simply unscrewed the barrel by clamping the barrel in a padded vise and twisting it off with my hands. I cut the front sight back so that I had about .4 inches of barrel to thread. I turned down the muzzle of the barrel a bit in my lathe then threaded it with a die held in the tailpiece chuck.

I decided that the threads were too small to make a strudy mount, so I permenantly attached a piece of stainless stock to the barrel and turned it on the lathe and threaded it to fit my homemade 9mm silencer.

Using ammo loaded to 1000 fps is less noisy than my 147 subsonic 9mm loads, the 700 fps target loads are even less noisy.

I have no idea what a gunsmith charges for the work, but it is a very simple job for a competent one.

Ranb
Old December 24, 2009, 04:09 PM   #3
ISC

Sergei Mosin had no connection with the design of the Nagant revolver.

The Mosin Nagant is a rifle, not a revolver.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:05 PM   #4
britrecko

moisin nagant 1895 barrel removal

thank you very much for your very commendable activity and response.i am deeply indebted.