The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 4, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1
mapsjanhere

.22 semi-auto rifles

Probably having nothing to do with my upcoming birthday, my wife has developed an usual interest in 22 semi-auto rifles. Not owning one (yet I guess) I just said Ruger 10/22 in stainless, having once shot one and it was fun. Is that a reasonable choice, or am I missing something?
Old January 4, 2010, 11:08 AM   #2
EstillEngineer#59

i like the 10/22 because its so customizable but wat would be best for you all depends on wat plan on doing with the rifle.
Old January 4, 2010, 11:24 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

What you do with 22 semis, put lots of holes into things whether they were designed for it or not; plinking with other words.
Old January 4, 2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Heaven

T/C R55 is more expensive but probably the most accurate out of the box.
Old January 4, 2010, 11:34 AM   #5
EstillEngineer#59

well come to think of it thats pretty much all i do with mine. my appologies. the 10/22 would be a good choice
Old January 4, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Scorch

10/22s are nice. They are pretty accurate right out of the box, they are super reliable, and they are relatively idiot resistant and able to still function no matter what people do to them. And fortunately, whatever people do to them is easily reversible.
Taylor Machine
Old January 4, 2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Bird is the Word

Look at the Marlin 795, half the cost, most agree that its more accurate out of the box then the 10/22. Only downside is that its only available with 10 round mags and doesn't have the same tactical accessory support.

If those two don't bother you (they didn't for me), going with the Marlin means you could buy one for each of you for the price of a single 10/22.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:31 PM   #8
essohbe

10|22 fan here, so I'd have to say go for one!
Old January 4, 2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Technosavant

I have a couple Remington 597s; I like them. The one massive benefit to going 10/22 is the vast aftermarket for them. You can keep it stock for plinking or you can dress it up to something completely other. If there's something about it that doesn't please you, there's a wide array of choices for you to "fix" it.

Still, there's plenty of good semiauto .22s. The 597, out of the box (in my opinion), has a better capability for accuracy. There's all kinds of variations in manufacturing (YMMV), but the 597 generally has a barrel that's more easily free floated and the action can be quite competent. Problem is, if you don't like something, good luck finding a replacement.

Cross shop the competition from Remington, Marlin, and Savage, but the 10/22 is certainly a good choice.
Old January 4, 2010, 08:11 PM   #10
alaskaman94

one more vote for the 597! i looove mine!......10/22 is a classic though. wont go wrong with either
Old January 4, 2010, 08:22 PM   #11
UtahHunting

The 10-22 is an excellent choice for both a first .22 or a last one. You cannot go wrong with it. Extremely reliable and they can be customized to your liking. My wife got the .22 addiction and she now has $700 into her 10-22. They are very fun.
Old January 5, 2010, 12:20 AM   #12
MOREAMMO

I vote for the 10/22. The aftermarket goodies can be very addictive though, but very fun.
Old January 5, 2010, 03:14 AM   #13
davem

I have a Marlin as well, 10 round clip and black synthetic stock. I bought it as a small game hunting rifle. If it gets beat up I don't care. Shoots squirrels in the head every time- which is all I require.
Old January 5, 2010, 04:15 AM   #14
NWCP

For right out of the box reliability and accuracy I'd be inclined to get the Browning SA22. Light, great balance and a real tack driver. You can't hang all of the tactical looking items off of it, but it will shoot rings around a stock 10/22. It's also a breakdown rifle making it easy to cary around when trekking in the backwoods.
Old January 5, 2010, 05:47 AM   #15
qwman68

i have a mossberg 702 plinkster, very similar to the marlin 795, has 10 round magazine, the first time i shot it it was a little off adjusted the sight ( which is very easy) and it will shoot bottle caps all day long at 30 yrds using federal 510 ammo. i paid 92 dollars for the plinkster.. i think they are a little more expensive now but in my opinion they are worth it. now you cant pimp it out or anything, but for a practical great shooting .22 its a very good rifle.
Old January 5, 2010, 06:26 AM   #16
CajunBass

Ruger, Remington, Marlin, Mossberg, Browning (a lot more expensive), Henry..they're all good. Find the one YOU like and you'll likely be happy with it. One might be "more accurate" than the other, but for plinking, squirrel hunting, and just general shooting, they'll all do just fine.

Personally I like the 10/22, especially the upgraded (walnut stock) "DSP" model, as you can see below.

Tip: Don't overlook the used rack. You can find some real bargains there.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 5, 2010, 06:47 AM   #17
PSP

The 10/22, especially with a high capacity mag, is a blast to shoot, reliable and thus is a good choice. They are also reasonably priced.

On the other hand, sometimes I enjoy loading up the smaller .22s, the shorts or longs, and here the Brownings BL-22 and Marlin 60 are good choices. The Marlin is also very reasonably priced.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:45 AM   #18
JWT

Agree the 10/22 is a good choice. There are numerous other .22s that merit a look. If you want something a little less "conventional":

The S&W 15-22 is worth looking at if an AR style gun is of any interest. The stock is adjustable to fit a smaller person. Lots of add ons avaiable. It's really a fun shooter

Another good .22 is the Browning semi-auto - it's small take-down gun that is very nice looking and an accurate shooter. Design has been around for years and still quite popular.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:41 AM   #19
aarondhgraham

For gwman68 and his 702 Plinkster,,,

Scroll down on this link,,,
The Plinkster is the 2nd one down.

http://www.cbrps.com/Products.html

Not sure I would ever do this to my Plinkster,,,
I'm not as into the whole "Tacticool" thing as my friends.

I too own a Plinkster and love the heck out of it,,,
I paid $104.95 for mine at WallyWorld,,,
I love the traditional sights.

Most of my friends have 10/22 rifles,,,
Some have Marlin Model 60's,,,
Assorted other brands.

None of them seem any more inherently accurate than the others,,,
In out little informal "matches" it's a coin toss any day.

Unless we go single-shot and then there is a clear winner,,,
My H&R Sportster outshoots them all.

But back to the 702 Plinkster,,,
It's a very fine rifle for the money,,,
Been shooting mine steadily now for over a year,,,
It goes bang every time and I can't remember the last time it failed.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 5, 2010, 09:46 AM   #20
mapsjanhere

Damn, there goes my "I'll never go tacticool". Those bull-pup conversions are neat.
Old January 5, 2010, 10:22 AM   #21
qwman68

LOL...how cool would i be with that set up? just when you think you've seen it all...
Old January 5, 2010, 10:38 AM   #22
22-rimfire

For me, the choice depends on what she wants and budget. I would let her choose myself with some guidance from you. If you choose a Ruger 10/22, choose one without the barrel band. I was browsing Rugers web site and noticed that Davidson's has one that definitely has me thinking I'd like another one... http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...aspx?item=1227

It is what they used to call their Deluxe model with a lighter walnut stock in stainless. I like the looks of it a lot unless you plan on customizing it beyond perhaps a trigger job. It is fun to use the larger capacity magazines that are sold for plinking and rattling off a bunch of ammo at a paint can or something.

Other choices include: Marlin Model 60 which is probably the best value in the market place for a good shooting 22 auto rifle. Just my opinion. I like the black stocked stainless version the best as the "wood" stocked ones are not walnut.

Thompson Center R-55 Classic is an excellent shooter. It is made much like the way rifles used to be made. Some of them shoot as well as many bolt actions like the CZ 452/453.

A good used choice would be the Weatherby Mark XXII (semi-auto) which is probably the "best" semi-auto 22 rifle ever made if you like the look of the Weatherby stock and so forth. They can be fairly pricey unless you luck out. I've had one for a long time and it is quite accurate out to 100 yds. It is a full sized rifle.

Browning SA-22 another good choice if you want a slim fast pointing 22 rifle along the lines of a Ruger but much more accurate typically. I think they look a bit funny with a scope however. Browning also makes their excellent lever action 22 BL-22.

Some of the others mentioned here are good reasonable choices as well. The Marlins with detachable magazines are much like the M60 which has an under-barrel tubular magazine. I prefer not to have to mess with clips and concern myself with misplacing them.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; January 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old January 5, 2010, 11:23 AM   #23
omeratwood

10/22 Tack Driver

Old January 5, 2010, 12:05 PM   #24
PzGren

Quote:
Is that a reasonable choice, or am I missing something?
No, you are not missing something. The 10/22 is a very nice semi auto rimfire and I am enjoying mine. It is a great plinker as a stock gun and can be customized and changed with changed needs but a stock 10/22 will always be a great plinker that will provide plenty of fun!
Old January 5, 2010, 01:28 PM   #25
Ridge_Runner_5