The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 28, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1
jman841

Sig Sauer 516

Just read about this today, anyone have any knowledge on it?

The Sig Sauer 516, it looks like Sig's entry into the AR-15 market with a piston operated version.

Personally i don't understand why they would make this because of it being so simular to there popular Sig 556. The 556 gives users another option over an AR-15 which i think is one of its biggest selling points. the 516 seems to me like the same weapon as the 556 with a new look. Both are piston operated semi automatic rifles that take the same mags and offer very similar ergonomics. I don't fully understand Sigs decision on this one?

Let me know what u guys think
Old December 29, 2009, 12:24 AM   #2
tINY

AR-15's are very popular, and people are hot for piston operated ones.

So, they tooled up to make something to sell. They can buy some of the parts, so it's an easy one to produce. At something like $1100 list, I bet they sell a lot.

I'm waiting for the rumored 308 version....

-tINY

Old December 29, 2009, 01:23 AM   #3
B. Lahey

Quote:
i [sic] don't understand why they would make this because of it being so simular [sic] to there [sic] popular Sig 556
They are not much alike on a nuts-n-bolts level. The 556 is a knock-off of the 550 service rifle, and is a Kalashnikov-type action.

This new thing is apparently another AR with a piston. They may both shoot .223/5.56 and have black plastic furniture but they operate in a different way.

But the end result may be the same; a front-heavy .223 rifle solving a problem that doesn't exist. So you are sort of right.
Old December 29, 2009, 09:01 AM   #4
9x19

The 516 appears to be pure AR lower, with Sig's own gas-piston upper, though even that is different from the 556.

Having owned both the Sig 556 and the Ruger SR-556, I can honestly say, the piston guns run a bit cleaner, but the added weight out front gets to be annoying, at least for me.
Old December 29, 2009, 03:04 PM   #5
olyinaz

I wonder if the Sig is going to have bolt carrier tilt problems the way the Rugers are?

It's a nice looking rifle but I honestly just see the whole gas piston thing as a solution looking for a real problem (as opposed to a percieved problem). I honestly could care less if my AR gets a bit sooty inside and I'd rather spend money on things like a premium barrel and optics. The American Rifleman Magazine test of the Sig did not wow me when it comes to accuracy.

If I were going to use it strictly as a PD weapon or were I a LEO I might be interested in the Sig since it will undoubtedly go bang every time, but I punch holes in paper, plink, and shoot critters with my guns and on all counts there are better options for me (even within the AR realm) than one of these new Sigs.

Same goes for the Ruger but at least it's tested out as quite accurate if I recall so it's got that going for it.

Regards,
Oly
Old December 29, 2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

If you look at the SIG516 bolt carrier, you can see they took the HK approach and made the back end of the bolt carrier way oversized. Can't tilt the bolt carrier if there is no room in the lower receiver extension/buffer tube for the bolt carrier to tilt.

SIG then made some big relief cuts in the new, fatter BCG - probably to keep debris in the buffer tube from bringing things to a grinding halt. It will be interesting to see how the design works in practice.

As for why compete with your own product, my guess is the 516 is designed to fill a niche SIG doesn't have. Much of the training, manipulations and patrol rifle programs out there are based on the AR platform. The 516 lets you keep the same ergonomics and base of knowledge while adding a sexy piston marketing angle. It is basically a product for agencies that were never going to buy the 556.
Old December 29, 2009, 05:25 PM   #7
KChen986

Unfortunately, it looks like Sig stole the Bolt Carrier design from LWRC. There will be some legal action.

http://forum.lwrci.com/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
Old December 29, 2009, 06:52 PM   #8
tINY

Seems that the thread was deleted. It wouldn't suprise me if LWRC was supplying Sig with parts.

Sig has good distribution and sales within the US LEO market that LWRC would spend years and $millions developing. Why not get a piece of the action from a sales network that's already in place?

-tINY

Old December 29, 2009, 10:49 PM   #9
jman841

I see why they did it to a point but i don't know, the two products are so similar. While the pistons do operate a little different there still both piston operated semi-auto weapons in 5.56 with the same mags. I don't see how they are going to market one without hurting the sales of the other.

However I have trust that this will be a good product and would like to get one if I found one for the right price.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this
Old December 29, 2009, 11:54 PM   #10
ranger dave

read more

keep reading they said that they would loike to offer package deals to law enforcement
Old December 30, 2009, 01:36 AM   #11
Jekyll

Does anyone have experience with this rifle?
Old December 30, 2009, 02:19 PM   #12
tINY

Most PDs won't buy the 55x series. It looks to unususal and they may need to retrain officers.

An AR-15 pattern is familiar to the public and the training is less of an issue (if any of them served in the Armed Forces or did training with the surplus M16s that were handed out to PDs).

-tINY

Old December 30, 2009, 05:16 PM   #13
ranger dave

you missed again

it is an ar 15 platform just a piston driven. everyone is trying to build a better m 16 sig just wants to get there share of the ar market
Old December 30, 2009, 07:57 PM   #14
RT

I think Sig wants to offer pistol/ rifle combos to LEOs a
la the S&W M&P