The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 27, 2009, 07:55 PM   #1
wyobohunter

CCW .45 Colt?

I'd like to get a smallish .45 Colt revolver for my wife. Nothing too lightweight because I don't want it to kick too hard (she'd shoot it once and be done with it). I want .45 Colt because I'm already set up to reload for it and a start load of Hodgdon Titegroup pushing a Speer 225 gr. HP is a real pussycat in my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. I could just get her shooting/carrying the Alaskan, but I'd like to know if there is something just a tiny bit smaller.
Old December 27, 2009, 07:58 PM   #2
drail

There's not really very many small revolvers in .45 Colt around. Look at .44 Spl. models, they will do just about anything the .45 Colt will do if handloaded up to a realistic level.
Old December 27, 2009, 08:00 PM   #3
earlthegoat2

The Taurus 450 was an excellent revolver that could be had in a snub and UltraLite variant. Sadly they are no longer produced so you may have to go the internet route on that one.

The ULs weighed about 20 ounces and I can only imagine them being a handful with anything above a factory load.
Old December 27, 2009, 08:08 PM   #4
45reloader

Get a 44 mag,better selection.
And load it with 44 special.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" T Jeff.
Old December 27, 2009, 08:09 PM   #5
wyobohunter

Or, maybe not get a wheel gun, maybe on of those Bond Arms Deringers.

Quote:
Look at .44 Spl. models, they will do just about anything the .45 Colt will do if handloaded up to a realistic level.
Quote:
Get a 44 mag,better selection.
And load it with 44 special.
I do not wish to start reloading for another cartridge. My SRH Alaskan would work O.K. in her purse, so if I can't find something else I... er... she likes in .45 Colt it'll be the Alaskan.
Old December 27, 2009, 08:15 PM   #6
zxcvbob

How good is she with a single action? A nice 3" sheriff's model SAA...
Old December 27, 2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Stainz

The S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt is a great protector. It's 4" barrel makes it just over an inch longer than the Ruger .454 SRH Alaskan and an ounce or so lighter. My 625-7 MG with the Ahrends conversion grips below was my first new S&W 7.5 yr back, followed by the LN 625-6 MG with the rounded finger-groove Dymondwood Combats. With my Speer 250gr Gold Dot JHP or 255gr LSWC loads pushing 900 fps, either is still comfortable with the grips shown. Great revolvers. If I lost them, I'd buy a brand new one with the IL, if it was available.

Stainz
Old December 27, 2009, 08:27 PM   #8
wyobohunter

http://www.gunsamerica.com/926775907...A_Cal_45LC.htm

That Colt looks a little spendy, but, good point about the SA. I bet she'd actually prefer a SA revolver. Carried with the hammer on an empty chamber she'd prolly feel warmer & fuzzier than with a DA.

Maybe something like http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...aspx?item=5120
Old December 27, 2009, 08:54 PM   #9
orionengnr

The only .45LC I have experience with is the S&W M-25. I really like N-frames, and I really like the .45LC cartridge.

I carry mine (4") fairly regularly during our "winter" which I define as: any time I can wear a sweatshirt or jacket, and probably not wearing shorts. Edited to add: Guess I'd better clarify that...I meant any time I am wearing long pants (and a serious belt to match).

I live in Texas; your climate is a good bit different, so your options may be better than mine. I'm not going to say that carrying a N-frame is easy, but I'm not the only one who does it. And I'm far from the biggest, youngest buck in the corral
Old December 27, 2009, 09:02 PM   #10
mavracer

How about a Ruger Montado.Transfer Bar safe to carry 6 up.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=151349125
sorry just went and pulled up the link you posted.I have one in 357 and it's a nice SA carry gun
I know the 45's gonna be a few oz lighter and more thump with less flash.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 27, 2009, 09:13 PM   #11
zxcvbob

Nice. [the Montado] Put a birds-head grip and maybe a Bisley-style hammer on it and it'd be perfect.
Old December 28, 2009, 01:04 AM   #12
Lost Sheep

How about the Judge?

The Taurus Judge is smallish and capable of firing normal power 45 Colt cartridges. The cylinder specified for the standard 410 shotgun shells would be plenty long enough for any 45 colt loading.

Lost Sheep.
Old December 28, 2009, 02:00 AM   #13
wyobohunter

Not sayin' it's a bad gun for any objective reason...

But I absolutely loath the judge. Can't really say why, I just don't like the looks I spose.
Old December 28, 2009, 02:15 AM   #14
Jim March

In .410 the "Judge" is pathetic. In 45LC it's not real accurate.

The Montado makes a whole lot of sense. Trust me, it's completely safe to carry it six-up, especially if the cylinder is held rotationally tight by the holster (my solution) or there's a cross-strap across the hammer. Either method protects against the gun being accidentally cocked while in the holster. The Montado (and all other Ruger SAs post-1973) have a transfer bar safety - the gun can't go off unless the hammer is fully and deliberately pressed. It's 100% "drop safe".

My daily carry is a Ruger New Vaquero with a 4.68" barrel and a swap to the Montado-style (aka "SuperBlackhawk") hammer. The Montado is just a short-barrel variant New Vaquero. Mine is in 357 but they work just fine in 45LC.

(Note: there's a different between the Montado and SBH hammers but it's very minor - they have different checkering patterns on the thumbpads. In terms of ergonomics and "reach" they're identical.)
Old December 28, 2009, 05:43 AM   #15
Lost Sheep

To delete - over-post.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; December 28, 2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: to delete -
Old December 28, 2009, 08:58 AM   #16
earlthegoat2

I still think my suggestion of the Taurus 450 is the way to go.

Unless you dont want a Taurus (something I can relate to) but I would buy one of these if one came along. Only the Titanium version though.
Old December 28, 2009, 02:04 PM   #17
wyobohunter

Well, we are going to try and get out to the range today (no small feat with a 3 yr. old and a 3 month old) so she can try the SRH with light .45 Colt loads. She may like it enough to just carry it in a holster in her purse, ruining my excuse to buy a new gun.