The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: S&W Sigma: Verdict Time!
Thumbs up! 70 50.00%
Thumbs down! 39 27.86%
Impartial on this gun. 31 22.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 27, 2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Firepower!

SW Sigma: Verdict Time!

Hello All!
I think it about verdict time for Sigma, especially for the 9mm model. Ihave yet to hear from a reliable source about their malfunctions or reliability issues. Generally, the complaint is just that it has a stiff trigger. Can we fix that? What was SW thinking? Whay has SW not offered a fix or a later model with the fix? Was this intentionally made like this? If so, why?

What are your experiences with the Sigma? How many of you owned one and kept it? How many of you have this is your primary weapon?

Would like hear your thoughts on this weapon since I want to discuss it in this thread extensively.

Regards
Old December 27, 2009, 05:53 PM   #2
roman3

Quote:
Generally, the complaint is just that it has a stiff trigger.
Not generally that is the complaint

Quote:
Can we fix that? What was SW thinking?
Yes. Who knows. Initially they infringed on a bunch of Glock patents and were successfully sued.

Quote:
Why has SW not offered a fix or a later model with the fix?
Send it to them and they can make the trigger pull better. I don't know why they still leave the factory with crappy trigger pulls. Why does Smith have locks on revolvers and mag disconects...lawyer stuff. If they can fix the crappy trigger pull why not just go ahead and make them that way?

Quote:
Was this intentionally made like this? If so, why?
Probably think they are making their products safer and limiting their liability with all of these lawyer approved devices.
Old December 27, 2009, 06:03 PM   #3
ISC

They consider the Sigma a "double action only".

You have to compare the Sigma trigger to a double action trigger pull, not a single action, which is always lighter.

They're good pistols for what they are, and have got to be among the best pistols you can buy for under $300.
Old December 27, 2009, 06:10 PM   #4
dwhite

Two years of reliable service

Thumbs up, WAY up!

Mine has not failed me yet, due to the gun. I had one failure to feed due to a build up of Lee Liquid Alox on the case mouth.

Best $300 I could have spent.

If you find the trigger too heavy, man up. It ain't that bad.

All the Best,
D. White
Old December 27, 2009, 06:14 PM   #5
FishEngineer

If you don't mind sending it back to them for the trigger work it is a good value. I had one when they first came out that had a lot more than the trigger wrong with it... FTE, FTF, and a crappy trigger. Later models appear to not have these issues.
Old December 27, 2009, 06:37 PM   #6
crazy charlie

I have a Sigma .40 and I like it and it is my primary carry. I had a legitimate trigger recovery problem and S&W took care of it and while they were at it they smoothed it up. All part of their lifetime warranty.
The pistol will eat any thing and I've had no problems with it.

Last edited by crazy charlie; December 19, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old December 27, 2009, 07:29 PM   #7
IdahoG36

They are good guns for the money. The only complaint I ever see is the trigger pull.
Beretta PX4 Storm INOX 9mm, Beretta Nano 9mm, Ruger 22/45 LITE Cobalt, Springfield XDm 4.5 .45, Ruger LCP .380, 20"Armalite/Rock River AR15, Remington 870 Tactical Magpul, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle
Old December 27, 2009, 08:08 PM   #8
earlthegoat2

They are a gun that fits into the price point column. They are good for the money but get something better if you can.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:01 PM   #9
wvshooter

My first handgun four years ago was a Sigma 40ve. I have since bought a 9ve. I think they make a great carry piece. I do occasionally carry either of mine in a Don Hume H-715 IWB holster. I've been wearing the 9ve for the last two or three days and feel very well armed. As you know it's 16 + 1 of 9mm. That's not too shabby.

The triggers on my guns have never bothered me. I've had them to the range and put a couple hundred rounds downrange without experiencing any kind of fatigue. They are very accurate and I have no problem with accurate rapid fire. IMO the Sigma's size, rounded shape and light weight make it a preferred carry gun. The grip shape is very comfortable. I have several other handguns and as much as I hate to admit it the Sigmas are probably the best carry guns I have.

The others include a CZ75B, a CZ Rami, a S&W 4046, a S&W 5906, a S&W 686 revolver, a Kahr CW9, a Rossi 357 J frame and a couple others. So you can see there is some competition.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Kyo

im biased cause i own a p-series. i hear they are good affordable guns like rugers. why not give it a try and give us a review? I say I am impartial for this one because there are other choices but I have nothing against S&W
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Onward Allusion

Got 5 of 'em. Great pistols for the money. They're part of our bug out bags. They have been nothing but reliable for us (knock on wood). We only have the 2nd & 3rd generation models, however. Typically we both get 2" or less groupings with them at 21'.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

LOL!

If my wife can consistently hit 10x @ 7 yards, I would have to agree. One suggestion might be to get a cheap .22 revolver and strengthen one's trigger finger.

Quote:
dwhite
<SNIP>
If you find the trigger too heavy, man up. It ain't that bad.
Old December 27, 2009, 10:03 PM   #13
YARDDOG(1)

Great gun for the $$, It's not a range gun as in 2 in groups at 25 yards
as far as round count manny of thousands should be fine, as for me it's a
fighting gun/CC & I use one for EDC Allied Force 9mm all black & a lifetime
warenty
Y/D
Old December 27, 2009, 10:44 PM   #14
Rich Miranda

Firepower, I voted Thumbs Up.

My brother-in-law has one. We go to the range together often and I have shot it extensively.

At first, I HATED the trigger and I said so in this forum. But it does get MUCH better with time and rounds. I'm guessing 300-500 rounds will do it. Accuracy is also just fine.

My experience is that reliability is not an issue. We had a few FTFs and FTEs but we were using cheap gun show reloads. WWB and Blazer stuff fired just fine. I came to respect the darn thing, that's for sure.

For the price, it is a good gun. I don't care for the looks, but that's subjective.
Old December 28, 2009, 12:21 AM   #15
gglass

The Sigma pistols are very reliable and are backed by the best customer service in the business.

Why are the triggers so heavy? The primary reason is that S&W had to make them heavy as part of their patent infringement settlement with Glock.

If customers don't like the triggers, then why hasn't S&W made them better over the years? The Glock settlement is still in effect for new Sigma sales.

Can the trigger be made better? Yes... If you call S&W to complain about the trigger, they will ship your Sigma (no charge) to LSG Manufacturing for a trigger weight reduction. The trigger can be made lighter after it has been sold, as it is not a used Sigma... Not "new".
Old December 28, 2009, 12:31 AM   #16
sonick808

I bought one from a friend who was moving for 150$.

It has over 10K rounds of varying types via it with ONE FTF that was due to my limp wristing

not too shabby
Old December 28, 2009, 01:20 AM   #17
riggins_83

I'm not impressed with them at all, especially the trigger. I'd rather have a Ruger SR9 for the money.
Old December 28, 2009, 01:40 AM   #18
Stetson 33

The sigma is a sleeper for the money if the buyer can get over the bad press this
model got when it first came out for sale. I have a 9mm and it's a fine pistol and I have used it for ccw for over two years when I was ajust starting out carrying. I didn't get caught up in brands xyz and why this ones the best.
Old December 28, 2009, 08:18 AM   #19
Te Anau

The trigger of an SW9VE should be the industry standard for how a DAO should be.A Glocks light DAO trigger is a liability as far as I'm concerned.You simply can't beat a new Sigma for sheer value.
Old December 28, 2009, 08:32 AM   #20
roman3

Quote:
A Glocks light DAO trigger is a liability as far as I'm concerned.

This is the kind of lawyer stuff I speak of. Pull any firearm's trigger and it becomes a liability depending on what the bullet does.

Smith recently has been liability averse and puts lots of extra "safety" features on their guns.
Old December 28, 2009, 09:02 AM   #21
Butterbean

I have an older model I think I bought it in 2002 or so. .40 sigma compact.
I have never had one fte or anything. It eats any ammo I put in it.
It sets right by my bed with 15+1 of JHP at all times.
Also have trijicons on it. When we go shooting most of my friends all want to shoot the sigma since it always shoots with no problems.
Old December 28, 2009, 09:45 AM   #22
dondavis3

The Sigma is a "double action only".

It should be compared to a double action revolver trigger pull, not a 1911 single action, which is always lighter.

They're good pistols for what they are, and have got to be among the best pistols you can buy for under $300.

They will fix your trigger free (and pay shipping both ways) if it is gritty but it will never shot like a 1911 - it is not supposed to.

I like my 40 VE - it has a real good feel to it.

But it can not shoot with my XDm - but the XDm is 2 times more expensive.

Jusy my .02

Last edited by dondavis3; December 28, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:23 AM   #23
doctruptwn

Quote:
I have yet to hear from a reliable source about their malfunctions or reliability issues.
The only Issue I have ever had with my 9mm or 40 has been an occassional FTRB, However this has been after firing 500-600 round at the range durring a single sitting, without cleaning. I was using the reload range ammo so it was pretty grimy stuff.

Quote:
Can we fix that? What was SW thinking? Whay has SW not offered a fix or a later model with the fix? Was this intentionally made like this? If so, why?
Yes it was intentional. There are several fixes, Both DIY and Factory send in. I guess it's up to you and whether you have an issue with DIY or would rather a pro did it. Some will say the DIY method is asking for legal problems. You decide.

Quote:
What are your experiences with the Sigma? How many of you owned one and kept it? How many of you have this is your primary weapon?
I have them in both 40 and 9mm. I trust both of them with my life. I carry the 40 in the summer. I will continue to keep it in my rotation.

Last edited by doctruptwn; December 28, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old December 28, 2009, 01:19 PM   #24
jj05

S&W will fix the trigger for you and even pay for the shipping. I have had the sw9ve model for a while and have never had any issues that werent shooter error. If you dont want to send it back to the manufacturer wolff offers springs that you can replace yourself that will help the trigger pull big time.
Old December 28, 2009, 01:30 PM   #25
DBAR

I've had some success with making the trigger, light, and smoother for a couple of guys here at work. I had the chance to shoot the guns after I did the work, and they are accurate, and reliable guns for the money.

If you want a gun with a real sweet trigger, then don't buy the Sigma. There is only so much one can do with the trigger. The triggers I worked on started out around 12 lbs., and I got them down to about 7 pounds. It doesn't get any better than that. I never replaced the striker springs due to reliability concerns. Some have, but they complain of light primer strikes. I don't believe in making a trigger so light that the gun becomes un reliable.

DBAR

Tags
s&w , sigma