The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 27, 2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Chinny33

SA M1A Scout Squad worth it?

I need a new gun for the new year. After MUCH research into the "best-all-around" .308s, I have narrowed down my search to the VERY expensive Springfield M1A Scout Squad. I have 3x AR-15s and love them all.

If i get an AR-10, it will come with a fixed magazine and possibly very difficult to mod, because of my lack of experience with AR-10s.

I cannot get a FN FAL because its on the "naughty-list".

I am looking for a semi-auto 308: accurate enough for hunting out to 250yds, and a good TEOTWAWKI gun(the end of the world as we know it). Which turns into a HIGHLY reliable, LOW maintenance gun.

I am SORT-OF willing to pay almost $2,000 for the M1A Scout Squad, but Im crying over it. The most I've EVER paid for a gun was $1,000 for my AR-15, and that hurt!

HELP ME! Does someone else make M1A's that are as good as the Springfield's? I do not know if I am paying for QUALITY or NAME or if they Monopolized the M1As?

Also, Ive seen "bedding" troubles. What the heck are bedding issues with M1As? I have no clue what that means?

God bless us all for a new 2010! Christ is King
Proverbs 27:12

Last edited by Chinny33; December 27, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old December 27, 2009, 12:01 PM   #2
freakshow10mm

Plenty of California legal FALs available. Enterprise Arms as well as PRK Arms are both California firearm manufacturers.

You can always get an off list FAL clone and put a mag lock on it.

Seeing as you openly admitted to committing a felony by having an unregistered assault weapon, I'd grow up first.

Quote:
I live in Kalifornia and modify my AR-15s with detachable magazines, which makes them VERY illegal here
Old December 27, 2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Chinny33

Quote:
Seeing as you openly admitted to committing a felony by having an unregistered assault weapon, I'd grow up first.
buddy...its not a felony. worst case scenario is someone confiscates it. I turn an allen wrench screw a 1/4 turn, and they're all legal. I modded them to be capable of being detachable for a "just in case" scenario. Who wouldn't?

I'm grown up to know how to plan for the future, fellow brother in arms.
Proverbs 27:12
Old December 27, 2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Brenten

get the SA M1A, it is a classic, you will not regret it. There are good deals to be had on line sellers who sell cali versions.
Old December 27, 2009, 02:42 PM   #5
freakshow10mm

Quote:
buddy...its not a felony
Oh really?

Quote:
12280. (a)(1) Any person who, within this state, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for four, six, or eight years.
Based on your statements above you don't have a featureless rifle you have made an assault weapon without DOJ permit and thus, according to PC 12280, committed a felony. Like I said before.

I know more about California law than you think I do. I deal with California laws every day.
Old December 27, 2009, 07:06 PM   #6
SR420

Quote:
HELP ME! Does someone else make M1A's that are as good as the Springfield's?
Springfield Armory, Inc. is the ONLY company making M1As.
Old December 27, 2009, 07:32 PM   #7
pvt.Long

a scout sqad or clasic m1a is a realy good way to go very reliable long range rifles you get the name and reliablity, quality and satisfaction of springfield that is perfect straight from the box. it is well worth the $$ that has to be cried over as its handed over. Ive had one issue from my hand me down semi auto m14. It was the fireing pin poped out of place quick to fix. the scout squad has a good long reach and still a compact rifle. nothing can hold a candle to the m1a famaly.
Old December 27, 2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Brenten

there are to many M1A/M14 fans on this forum
Old December 27, 2009, 09:48 PM   #9
pvt.Long

is a good truth.
Old December 27, 2009, 10:02 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Springfield Armory, Inc. is the ONLY company making M1As
Smith Enterprise Inc and Fulton armory are also in the game, although at a much higher price point and labeled M14s. SEI is hoping to release new receivers in January.

I hope you realize LEOs watch this forum a bit(as there are quite a few active here for one thing). You aren't doing anyone except the anti-s a favor coming here and posting about your felonies. If you don't like the law leave the state.
Old December 27, 2009, 10:19 PM   #11
SR420

Quote:
Springfield Armory, Inc. is the ONLY company making M1As

Quote:
johnwilliamson062 Smith Enterprise Inc and Fulton armory are also in the game, although at a much higher price point and labeled M14s.
SEI is hoping to release new receivers in January.
Your information is correct except neither of those companies build M1As.
M1A is only found on rifles built by Springfield Armory, Inc.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:43 PM   #12
earlthegoat2

Quote:
M1A is only found on rifles built by Springfield Armory, Inc.
I guess that is why he said this:

Quote:
labeled M14s.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:57 PM   #13
FSJeeper

For me, the M1A is the best .308 battle rifle out there. Second, a very close second is the FN FAL. If these are over your head, buy a Saiga .308. You'll save money, have grat accuracy, and total reliability.

And if you buy the Saiga, consider the thought that went into the sporter stocks and it may be wise to keep them as the are. If you are old school, the stock Saiga stocks will perform better.
Old February 16, 2010, 11:19 PM   #14
amprecon

I'm seriously looking at an M1A Scout Squad and putting an Aimpoint on it. I'm looking for a more compact .308 for the brush or even for open field shots. The cost is prohibitive, but I guess you get what you pay for.
I remember everyone clamoring to get their hands on a M1 Garand Tanker way back when, the M1A Scout Squad is essentially that rifle, but magazine fed.
Old February 17, 2010, 07:32 AM   #15
SR420

Quote:
amprecon I'm seriously looking at an M1A Scout Squad and putting an Aimpoint on it.
Find a slightly used Bush or Scout rifle and install the M8 hand guard from UltiMAK.
This will let you mount the Aimpoint as low as possible and enable you to co-witness
the iron sights. No cheek riser needed with this combo.
Old February 17, 2010, 01:14 PM   #16
hobunchastuf

A few months ago, I found a deal on a Scout Squad... it had lingered in the classifieds for at least a week. Made the guy an offer and bingo!! I'm a proud owner for less than half the money ya'll are quoting M1As at. Excellent weapon and solid!! Good buys are out there. Be patient!!
Old February 17, 2010, 07:26 PM   #17
hobunchastuf

In fact, here's one practically brand new with extra mags for $1500. I've dealt with this fella before and he takes great care of his pieces. Check it out... and make an offer.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/fi...a-308-win.html

NEVER MIND... IT'S SOLD.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:31 PM   #18
FSJeeper

I love the M1A platform and own several. When SHTF and if I had to leave and survive, I am not taking one. I am taking an AK47 platform rifle.

For a fraction of the price of the M1A, the Saiga .308 will do everything you want and more reliably. It may not be as accurate, but accurate enough. Field stripping and cleaning is so much faster and easier and you do not have to do it as often.