The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 25, 2009, 12:48 PM   #1
RetiredMajor

Thoughts on the Beretta CX4 Storm?

I'm in the market for a rifle. I don't hunt, I live in suburbia, the longest rifle range we have around here is 200 yards. I just can't see buying a .223 AR/M4. It feels like overkill to me. This rifle fires handgun ammo and is available in 9mm, 40 SW and 45ACP. Max accurate range is probably 100 yards or so. It looks like a good option for plinking and home defense. I already have handguns in 9mm and 45ACP.

Does anyone have experience with these rifles?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Major

Last edited by RetiredMajor; December 25, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old December 25, 2009, 01:08 PM   #2
David the Gnome

I picked up the 9mm 92FS-Magazine version. It handles excellently and is especially easy to maneuver indoors with its compact size. Because it uses the Beretta 92FS magazines you have a large number of cheap magazines to choose from. Mec Gar and Beretta both make a 20 round magazine that fits quite nicely into the grip of the CX4 and gives you a decent capacity. Recoil is negligible with the 9mm version, especially fired from the shoulder. Accuracy is good but, like you said, I wouldn't shoot out past 100 yards. There is also the added bonus that you can get 50 rounds of factory ammo for about $10. I haven't found a brand of ammo it won't eat yet.

I would suggest staying away from the 45ACP version for the simple fact that the only magazine available for it is an 8 round mag. I can get that from my single-stack 1911, negating most of the advantage of the carbine platform.
Old December 25, 2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Crosshair

Here are my thoughts.

It is a rather bulky gun when compared to other PCCs like the Hi-Point 995, Marlin Camp Carbine, and the Ruger PC-9.

Open sights seem to be an afterthought, they are mounted too low, the gun seems to be designed for optics.

The trigger is "meh". My Hi-point has better.

On the whole, they are reliable and accurate for a PCC. If you like it then I would say go for it. As for effective range, you'll be deadly against anything within 100 yards and a threat to anything within 300 yards.

That being said I would rate them near the middle of the pack vs what else is out there. I feel that the Ruger PC-9 is superior in every area except for optics and accessories mounting options. Though nobody puts a 4-12x50 on these guns so that isn't really a problem, the PC-9 will securely mount a red dot with ease.

The Hi-Point isn't as good for mounting red dots, but it has some of the best open sights. Trigger isn't that great, but it's consistent. 10 round mags are the big drawback, though this isn't as bad for the 40 S&W version.

So here is my Ranking. (From first to last.)

Ruger PC-9
Marlin Camp Carbine
Semi-auto Suomi KP/-31
Hi-Point 995/4095
Beretta CX4
Kel-Tec Sub-2000
A rock
Sharp stick
Any AR-15 based PCC.

Hope this provides some help.
Old December 25, 2009, 07:00 PM   #4
troy_mclure

ive got a beretta cx4 storm in .40s&w. i got it after shooting the highpoint carbine.

the beretta has a much better feel to it, and is more balanced, and easier to bring up to your shoulder.

tho the trigger is a bit stiff, i think it feels better than the high points.

i have just under 19,000 rounds thru my storm, have killed 1 deer, and am great shot with it out to 75yds.

theres plenty of guys that get great groups at 100yds tho. my optics aren't the best for long range shooting.

im currently in the process of converting mine to 10mm.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 25, 2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Ozzieman

the beretta has a much better feel to it, and is more balanced,
troy_mclure said it best.
I have owned a hi point carbine (for two weeks)and I wouldn’t trade 4 hi points for my one Storm.
I have a 9mm with the Cougar Mag and several 20 round mags.
With hand loads of 147 GR cast lead I have, across sand bags held 4 inch groups at 100 yards.
The trigger is heavy but very smooth and breaks very cleanly.
I have over 4000 rounds through it and it has become my favorite carbine.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 3, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old December 26, 2009, 04:38 AM   #6
bamaranger

agin'em

Autopistol carbines hold no attraction for me. I would much rather have a
lever carbine in a mag pistol cartridge, ie, the Marlin .357/.44 1894 for example. If you just must have an auto, Ruger made a .44 in two styles, old and new, though both are discontinued.

The power level can be variable, without effecting function, in the levers. And function will be 100% w/ the lever, short of funky ctgs or bullet shapes. Mag pistol ctgs have considerably more juice than even the .45acp.

The Marlin family will cost less too, I think, esp used.

The lever gun, very traditional, will likely resist the rising tide of antigun fervor that is currently on going, a bit better. ( no reason to work/vote against it though)
Old December 26, 2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Ozzieman

bamaranger I don’t agree with your logic.
The power level can be variable, without effecting function, in the levers. And function will be 100% w/ the lever, short of funky ctgs or bullet shapes.
Lever action can be very funky with bullets shapes. semi wad cutters or pointed bullets function poorly not feed or are just dangerous.
If you just must have an auto, Ruger made a .44 in two styles, old and new, though both are discontinued.
Having owned a Ruger 44 carbine I will agree that they are good guns, but there limitations in round capacity and mine would only function with blunt round bullets with full house magnum loads, and was never what I considered very accurate and running 44 specials would not function at all, it became a single shot gun.
The lever gun, very traditional, will likely resist the rising tide of antigun fervor that is currently on going, a bit better.
This I reject totally, if we all start choosing guns due to there political correctness then we should all join the bradey group.
The big reason that I shoot my Beretta 10 time more than ether of the pistol caliber lever actions is the balance and handling of the small Beretta.
And if energy was the main reason for picking the lever action the pistol types would be the last, My 45/70 would be on my shoulder.
Old December 26, 2009, 09:01 PM   #8
David the Gnome

The nice thing about the trigger on the Storm is it doesn't pivot like hinged triggers triggers, it pulls straight back like the trigger on the 1911. Even though it is a heavier pull it makes it smooth and easy to shoot.

You also get really fast mag changes with the Beretta, the mags drop free and are reinserted easily and the contoured slide release is it exactly the right place. I very much enjoy shooting it more than any other "rifle" I own.

The only downside I can come up with on the Beretta is that due to the ambidextrous cuts on the gun and the blowback action you tend to get hit in the face with a lot of debris from the action if you get your face too close. This makes it a very smart idea to wear eye protection with this gun; not that it isn't a good idea on any gun.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:48 PM   #9
Shawn Dodson

Whenever I handled one in a gunshop I fell in love with it's ergomomics and natural pointability. The irons sights seemed like an afterthought though.

I finally rented one and fired 100 rounds through it. I was very disappointed, right from the get-go. The blowback design seems to exaggerate recoil - more than my M4 carbines (most of which are fitted with the stock USGI A2 compensator). I can't describe it, I just didn't like it (yuck!). YMMV. I suggest you rent one, if you can, before you buy.

Have you ever considered a .30 caliber M1 Carbine? Great little gun.
Old December 27, 2009, 03:41 AM   #10
bamaranger

Hey Ozzie and others.

Not my best post and your points well taken. I suppose what I was trying to say was that I believe a manually operated repeater (the levers) will be more consistent and reliable across a wide range of ammo types, than a semiauto.
The .44 mag Rugers are proof of that very point. W/O full power ammo, they just do not run. A Marlin .44 would likely feed and function w/ much ammo that would stop the Ruger semis. The Berretta would have the same vulnerability.

The 4+1 capacity of the Ruger .44 was seen as a drawback by those wanting higher rd count, say for a HD or SD carbine. Mine get used as hunting rifles and 4+1 is pretty standard and sufficient in that role. BTW, Had Ruger saw fit to make a bigger box for the newer version, they may have attracted another slice of the market/potential buyers, and sold enough to justify still making them.

I will try and rephrase the "power" issue. Yes, there are lots of lever guns w/ more power than ones chambered in mag pistol ctgs. Your example was 45-70, which is a pretty big rifle, but an even better example might be a 16" 30-30, which is still plenty handy and more gun than a .357 carbine for sure. My criticism of the 9mm/.40/.45 type carbines is whether they are "enough" gun.

The mag pistol carbines are "enough" to fill the dual role of paper punchers/ fun guns, and still serve as adequate hunting and SD tools. AS the OP was inquiring about a range gun, I may have strayed a bit here and (tried to) addressed a non-issue. But I can't imagine a 9mm/40 carbine as a deer rifle
even by default. The .45's maybe.

My comment about the antigun crowd was pretty lame and not typical of me. I find myself interested more in semi and "black" guns than ever before and most of my recent buys have been in that direction. By all means, one should get what they want and not be swayed by political winds. However, I wonder much about how long we will be able to do that.

Hope this clears up a rather cloudy post on my part.