The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Mastifflover

Baby Glock/Spare Mag ???

I will be picking up a Glock 26 next week and have been thinking about how to carry a spare magazine. Bottom line is I am going to carry one, not exclusively for the extra rounds but in case of a malfunction. This is not a debate about the need to carry a spare or not/you don't need that many rounds, blah, blah,blah.

That being said, for those that carry a subcompact Glock does anybody just carry another flush fit short magazine or do you all carry a Glock 19 or 17 mag as a spare?

Since even a spare G26 mag will give me a total of 20+1, which I would be completely comfortable with compared to a 5 shot snub, and my main reason for the extra mag is for a malfunction and not capacity why bother trying to carry another couple of inches in my pocket? Even if I carry a spare mag on my belt it seems that the shorter mag would be more comfortable with less length to poke you in the ribs.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:01 AM   #2
SIGMYSTER

I carry a Glock 29 10mm. I carry a spare 29 magazine on my left side in a cell phone case. I am 6'1" 250 lbs. This works very well for me.
Old December 20, 2009, 10:32 AM   #3
WC145

I don't have a baby Glock but I do carry a Mini Cougar. I keep it loaded with the shorty 10rd mag but my spares are full size 15rd. There's plenty of mag pouches out there that will allow you to carry a full size spare comfortably.
IMO, carrying a spare hi-cap is a no brainer in a case like this.
Old December 20, 2009, 10:42 AM   #4
#18indycolts

I have a Desantis pro stealth IWB holster that has the xtra mag pouch on it.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/desantis...h-holster.html
Old December 20, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Coop de Ville

I carry 2 10 round spares on my weak side for the 26.

I am debating getting the A&G spacer so I can use 19 or 17 mags with it (not that you need the spacer).
... but then I figure I should just carry my 19 instead.

Decisions!

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old December 20, 2009, 02:26 PM   #6
golfnutrlv

I carry a glock 17 9mm magazine as my reload. gives me 10+1 and 17 more.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 20, 2009, 03:58 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

I carry a S&W M&P 45 fullsize with a 10 round mag in the gun. I carry a 14 round spare mag. Not that I would need the spare mag, but it is there if I need it. Just like having a spare tire for my truck. I pitched the donut for a full sized spare the reason if I have to use it in pinch it will go a lot farther.
Old December 20, 2009, 05:14 PM   #8
springfieldbob

Extra mag carrying

Hi mastifflover,

I think it may depend on the type of holster you will be using. If it is say a thunderwear inside the pants holster then just carry the mag in the 2nd pouch. If on the belt I use a single belt snap mag holder. I carry an extra magazine for exactly the same reason you do. I carry the .40 cal Glock# 27. I have seen too many malfunctions with an auto where the mag has to be removed.It is nice to be able to reload to clear the problem. You will love your Glock# 26.

Good luck,

Bob
Old December 21, 2009, 05:02 AM   #9
denfoote

I carry the 12 round (10 + 2) mag with one in the chamber for a total of 13 rounds in the gun with 2 ten round spares.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old December 21, 2009, 07:04 AM   #10
J.Netto

Quote:
does anybody just carry another flush fit short magazine or do you all carry a Glock 19 or 17 mag as a spare?
Yes, but I carry a G27, and at least 1 15 round magazine from my G22 as a reload. Sometimes I carry two of them. Carrying the longer mags as reloads isn't uncomfortable to me, as far as the extra weight or length goes.

I always carry a flush fitting 9 round mag in the gun, plus one in the chamber.

Last edited by J.Netto; December 21, 2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old December 21, 2009, 07:21 AM   #11
MADISON

To carry an extra magazine

My solution is a folding knife case.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:15 PM   #12
jglsprings

Just don't read do they...

I carry a flush fit mag in the pistol, it makes it easier to conceal.

I carry one extra regular magazine with the pearce +1 base plate. I can hide it better by itself.

P.S I carry a G27 - not EXACTLY the same but close enough for conversational purposes.

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.
Old December 22, 2009, 09:02 AM   #13
smince

Quote:
I have a Desantis pro stealth IWB holster that has the xtra mag pouch on it.
What position do you carry it in? I'm asking because some positions it would be very difficult to access the mag for a reload.
Old December 22, 2009, 04:33 PM   #14
glocktoys

i have a g27 and carry a g22 mag as backup
Old December 22, 2009, 04:40 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

I carry a G27 w/ 9mm conversion or sometimes original 40 sw, I don't think the caliber matters much for this.

All my mags have +2 pierce extensions.
I carry a 10+2 in my left pocket most of the time.
I have a crossbreed IWB mag pouch and whether I ordered the wrong one or they only have one for Glocks I can't remember, but it fits all the mags, so I carry the larger mags when I use it.
Very easy to conceal the larger mags and not uncomfortable.
Old December 22, 2009, 05:29 PM   #16
TailGator

I just drop one extra 10-round mag in my pocket. It isn't any bigger than most cell phones, so it doesn't get a second look from anyone. I have a magazine holder that sleeps peacefully in the drawer without being disturbed for weeks at a time.
Old December 22, 2009, 05:53 PM   #17
ATW525

When I used to carry a Glock 27, I'd carry the gun with a flush fitting magazine in one pocket, and a spare 9 round magazine with a Pearce +1 adapter in the opposite pocket. I also had a pile of Glock 23 magazines with A&G grip sleeves, but rarely bothered to carry them (they were great on the range, though).
Old December 22, 2009, 06:01 PM   #18
broncobob

Baby Glocks Mags.

I carry A Glock 30,45 Acp,there are single mag carry holsters.Any gun shop worth it's salt should have what you need.
Old December 22, 2009, 06:24 PM   #19
Mastifflover

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. I kind of like the cell phone carrier as a mag carrier. Hidden in plain sight.
Old December 22, 2009, 07:56 PM   #20
Deaf Smith

You can have it many ways.

Carry a +1 or +2 spare mag in a knife/cellphone/beeper case, or carry a spare gun (say a .38 J frame airweight) on the opposite side, or just carry the gun with a +2 mag and that's that.

I carry either a spare mag or my .38 642 Centennal as a 'New York' reload.
Old December 22, 2009, 08:30 PM   #21
oneounceload

For carrying a G26 spare mag, a cell phone case, leatherman-type leather carrying case or similar work great and make it basically invisible to most folks