The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: What Caliber for Mouse Guns?
.22lr 19 9.13%
.22 Magnum 12 5.77%
.25 ACP 8 3.85%
.32 ACP 48 23.08%
.380 Auto 121 58.17%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 12, 2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Para Bellum

Mouse Gun Caliber .22, .25, .32 or .380?

Folks,

let's talk mouse gun calibers. I'll get one (to give it to my wife, I assume).
I would not use expanding bullets in a mouse gun because even the .380 doesn't petertate enough with expanding bullets IMHO.
So, I believe that penetration is all that counts in a mouse gun.
The .22lr with non expanding bullets petetrates fine, so why buy a bigger caliber if expansion is not wanted?

What are your thoughts on this?
Old December 12, 2009, 04:22 PM   #2
mrt949

They are all good some are better than others. If you don't have something that you are happy with don't carry it . I tried them all 22 lr. 32 acp. and 380. My no 1. mouse gun is a seecamp 32.
Old December 12, 2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Jim Watson

My present MG is a KelTec .32, bought before the .380 came out.

My position on pocket pistol calibers is:

.22 I just don't have good feelings about feeding rimmed lead bullet cartridges in an auto. I am not as confident of reliable ignition of rimfires as I am centerfires. If you get her a .22 because of low cost, noise, and recoil; test ammo thoroughly to find something reliable. Then buy a lifetime supply not just of the same brand but of the same lot number.

.25 Semirimmed centerfire, I consider it more reliable in delivering a weak blow than a .22. Not much call for it these days, my .32 KT is no larger and a good bit lighter than my CZ45.

.32 Getting to be worthwhile in very small guns. Use European ammo which is hotter than most US. I carry Fiocchi hardball for penetration, feeding, and magazine length OAL to avoid "rimlock."

.380 KelTec and Ruger make tiny plastic guns. More energy and momentum than .32 although I doubt it has any better penetration. Main disadvantage is pretty stout recoil in these flyweight guns.
Old December 12, 2009, 04:47 PM   #4
joyrock

I would go 22LR, but, I love the 25auto. But a 25auto does not have the penetration of the 22lr. And I just got a 32auto so well see how well that works. As for the 380? Don't know much about that. But a 22LR gun, thats works well, and with good ammo, will go some nasty things. Try Aguila Sniper Sub Sonic, thats a hard hitting 22, and there Super Max Hyper Velocity, is neat too, at 1750fps with a 30gr bullet is fast! I shoot phonebooks, and the Super Max will rip up a book. The way it flattens out is odd, almost disc shaped. Never seen that in a 22 before. Thats my 2cents.

Ditto on Jim's post!
Old December 12, 2009, 04:49 PM   #5
tjhands

These days, as far as a "mouse gun" is concerned, with the Kel-Tec and the Ruger LCP, there is no reason whatsoever to not carry a .380acp. They're the same size gun as any of the others.

Unless you're 95 years old and can't handle the very-manageable recoil of the .380acp, you really have no reason to carry anything else.

I'm by no way saying that it's the perfect caliber, but when gun size is the utmost criterium on youe list, the choice is obvious.
Old December 12, 2009, 04:57 PM   #6
hoytinak

I choose the .32 over the .380. With the lower recoil I can shoot followup shots alot more accurately and quicker. I don't feel I'm losing much with the .32 compared to the .380 and am comfortable with my little .32. I've owned several makes/models of pocket guns and have settled on the P32. Though I'd like another Seecamp .32 someday.
Old December 12, 2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

voted .380 only because I am a dinosaur who believes bigger is better and its the closes you can get to a 9MM in a pocket gun. I only recommend 32 in H&R mag and that is a rimmed revolver bullet but with 38 spcl punch, probably more than most people want in a small gun and you specifies pistol not revolver.

There is a man walking around right now in my neighborhood with 5 circular scars on his forehead from when his son shot him 5 times with a 25 ACP. Son was acquitted and most in this corner of the county agree he should have used a bigger gun.

That leaves the 22, better than the 25 but not as good as the 32, solid LRN bullets is you ammo of choice if you go with it but as in everything else you gets what you pays for. I have more misfires in my pistols than I do my revolvers and I have more misfires even with the best 22 ammo than I do with center fires.

These are the kinds of thing I think about for a SD weapon. Hunting pigeons or rabbits a misfire is no big deal. Some mope attacking in a parking lot intent on hurting your wife and taking her possessions deserves to be shot with the most gun she is willing to carry and can use effectively.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 12, 2009, 05:14 PM   #8
trigger happy

there was this guy that carried a .32 acp all the time, maybe you've heard of him, his name was John Moses Browning
Old December 12, 2009, 05:32 PM   #9
hasbro_fan

Voted for .380

I would use any of them, but would recommend center fire over rim file for dependability. Then within center file, I would go larger of these. More energy, more bullet options.
Old December 12, 2009, 06:05 PM   #10
PointOneSeven

I'm picking up a revolver in .22 magnum as soon as I get the funds. I'm carrying a revolver in .22lr right now. I like the extra punch of the .22 mag though .

If I actually 'needed' a gun, a full size .40 or .45 would be my carry gun. I moved to a better part of town so firepower isn't as much of an issue .
Old December 12, 2009, 08:48 PM   #11
Don P

I'll take the 22mag as my mouse gun. Fast moving bullet that will do a lot of damage for a small projectile bouncing from bone to bone tearing up everything in between.
Old December 12, 2009, 10:03 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

I like the Kel Tec P32. It gives you 7+1 capacity (1 more than the P3AT), is EXTREMELY thin (3/4"), light (~9oz loaded) and is small. Additionally there are many different rigs for it; belt clip, IWB, & even around the neck (a bit questionable, tho).

I would suggest having a car gun as well. One in the trunk and another in the glove box would be good places. A larger caliber in the glove and in the trunk because god forbid if she gets locked in it.

Quote:
Para Bellum
Mouse Gun Caliber .22, .25, .32 or .380?

Folks,
let's talk mouse gun calibers. I'll get one (to give it to my wife, I assume).
I would not use expanding bullets in a mouse gun because even the .380 doesn't petertate enough with expanding bullets IMHO.
So, I believe that penetration is all that counts in a mouse gun.
The .22lr with non expanding bullets petetrates fine, so why buy a bigger caliber if expansion is not wanted?

Last edited by Onward Allusion; December 13, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old December 13, 2009, 12:48 AM   #13
NightSleeper

.32 auto because of light recoil, quick accurate follow up, all in a small package. I personally won't go lower then .32 for a HD/SD caliber.
Old December 13, 2009, 04:57 AM   #14
Para Bellum

I felt the same like most of you .22lr or .32 ACP. I'll let you know what I'll buy and post my tests where I'll compare it to the 9x19...

Have a nice Sunday,
PB
Old December 13, 2009, 05:29 AM   #15
MCCALL911

I voted .32 ACP simply because that's the only mousegun caliber I have at the moment.
The .32 ACP is the minimum that I would use for self-defense because I've listened to what everyone else has said and haven't thought for myself about the matter.

Moe Howard: "Fire at will!"
Larry Fine: "Which one's Will?"
Old December 13, 2009, 09:53 AM   #16
Pyzon

I voted for .380, as I also believe it performs better.

But..........due to the difficult time finding any ammo on the shelf, lots of folks are forced to buy cheap, surplus and by comparison low performance ammo.

If you try harder you can find much better performing SD ammo from Hornady or others.

Don't trust the cheap stuff, no matter what caliber you would choose, when loading a mag for CC.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:10 AM   #17
pinetree

I voted 380 but carry a 25acp. There just aren't that many 25's on the market. I have a Colt Vest Pocket that was my grandpa's from pre-WWII. But I bought a Beretta Jetfire - single action goodness to carry. I use the tip-up barrel to pop in a round and leave the hammer down most of the time. Cocking the hammer is super easy. It is amazing easy to shoot quickly and accurately.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:18 AM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I voted 22 Mag as I have a NAA one. I've been tempted by the LCP but keep hearing mixed things. Maybe in a year or two.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old December 13, 2009, 08:13 PM   #19
EdInk

You are incorrect about expansion. There are a couple of newer rounds designed primarily to work in these types of guns. .380 is my choice and the least amount I'd trust for self defense. Rimfire is less reliable than centerfire as well.
Old December 13, 2009, 08:28 PM   #20
oneounceload

You're missing 9mm- available as a mousegun in the Rohrbaugh
Old December 13, 2009, 08:56 PM   #21
tshadow6

I traded my Kel Tec P 32 for a Bersa .380 I would still carry a .32, just not a KT. KT just isn't reliable enough for me. .32 or .380, the key is reliablity.
Old December 13, 2009, 09:09 PM   #22
Chalupa

.380 or .32
Old December 14, 2009, 12:30 AM   #23
DasFriek

Todays .380 rounds are reliable expanders,especially the Corbon DPX and Honady Critical Defense.
My Sig p238 is the same size as as any mouse gun except the tiny LCP and P3AT,and i see no reason to buy a smaller caliber when you can get the same size gun or even smaller in this case.

I do own a .25 mouse gun,but i bought it more as a (I just had to have it) gun as opposed too (i need a bug) gun.
I have my P238 for that.
Matter of fact i carry a PPS 9mm in my back pocket as a bug when i can.

Quote:
Any knowledgeable gun person would pick a .380 or 9mm over a .22 any day.
There is way more involved than penetration,if that was the case we could just stab people with pencils instead of shooting them.
Old December 14, 2009, 12:54 AM   #24
FrankenMauser

If you want penetration, .22 WMR. (CCI 40gr FMJs)

Otherwise - .380 Auto.
Old December 14, 2009, 02:17 AM   #25
BMSMA

Love what you got

Voted .25 ... why? because I have one and love it.

Truth be told I am looking for a good small economy .380.

Just have to find what you like and like what you have.

For me SD is all about comfort, smoothness, and the feeling of reliability.