The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Firepower!

Beretta Shotgun Questions

Hi
I am interested in purchasing a couple of Beretta shotguns. I do have the Tecknys Gold.

I want to know which to purchase. The idea is to have the best Beretta product as well as one that is some what mid level in terms of price yet excellant for hunting ring neck or even skeet.
Old December 12, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
zippy13

Are you thinking of a pump, semi-auto or O/U?
Old December 12, 2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Firepower!

I am think either both O/U, since I have semi 391 and have no love for pump in this regard.
Old December 12, 2009, 06:43 PM   #4
zippy13

I'm taking you at your word when you say you want the best Beratta.
For the ultimate Beretta, only one gun comes to mind, the new SO10 EELL

Also top notch (and about US$100000 lest costly) is the SO6 EELL

For a mid level gun, might I suggest the 682, Gold E Skeet, adj. stock (Std stock shown)

or the DT10 Trident, Skeet, adj. stock
Old December 13, 2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Firepower!

Is it reasonable to spend 100K on Beretta? How do they compare to those English shotguns?
Old December 13, 2009, 02:50 PM   #6
oneounceload

Depending on your usage, the SO10 is a great, light, field gun. If you're more into shooting box pigeons in competition, then a Fabbri for the same money might be worth a look. Of course any of the well-made Italian guns can be made with phenomenal engraving and easily cost over that. The same for the English (and Scottish) guns
Old December 13, 2009, 04:23 PM   #7
mwar410

gunsamerica has a so10 eell listed for $190,000 what a steal!!!
Old December 13, 2009, 04:24 PM   #8
mwar410

oh wait he said a mid level gun, you might want to try a jubilee.
Old December 13, 2009, 07:14 PM   #9
zippy13

Yes, the SO10 EELL is up there with other stratosphere priced shotguns and the SO6 EELL's price is sky high, too. For a "mid-level" gun I was thinking of something in the range of UD$3000-8000. If you push that to US$10K, then the Beretta (Giubileo) Jubille could be included in the list of a mid-level shotgun. In the under US$10K Beretta has a number of very nice guns. For a premium grade look at fraction the cost of the SO10 EELL, there's a variety of Double-E Double-Ls out there to choose from.

Beretta 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon Premium look on a budget

It's hard to recommend a specific shotgun to some without really knowing more about them and their shooting style and abilities. As most shooters develop their skills they also build the criteria for their next gun to best suit their needs and budget. If I was planning to get a fancy Beretta, I'd wait to see what they offer as their 500th Anniversary edition. I'm guessing it will be something special.
Old December 13, 2009, 07:28 PM   #10
BigJimP

Firepower - what stock dimensions do you need - length of pull, drop at comb and drop at heel ? What overall weight of gun is optimal for you?

Maybe it will help Zippy recommend a specific model / or a custom stock to help in your decision ?
Old December 13, 2009, 07:59 PM   #11
zippy13

I suspect my friend, BigJimP is lurking… prepared to pounce on a specific recommendation.

We both agree, for our styles of shooting, we prefer straighter stocks than Beretta typically offers. Jim is a major fan of Brownings with parallel adjustable stocks -- I like Italian guns. My only Beretta came with a Monte Carlo stock and I had it converted to be recoil reducing and adjustable. If you noticed, the specific target models I mentioned have adjustable stocks.
Old December 13, 2009, 08:23 PM   #12
mwar410

I bought a 682 gold electrocibles. paxton had a couple sitting on the shelf for years, it had a very straight stock.
Old December 13, 2009, 09:38 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My White Onyx continues to please me.

Greatly.
Old December 13, 2009, 10:11 PM   #14
zippy13

I, too, got my Beretta from Paxton* Arms. Mwar410, your straight stock may have been something special ordered anticipating a customer like you. Your typical gun shop will probably have just one of the many stocks available from the maker. The stocks shown in the catalog are typically the starting point. For a serious comp gun, you should have a selection of stocks to choose from.

There is a definite advantage to getting a gun from an experienced shooter like Robert Paxton. Not only does he offer a great selection, his expert assistance in gun selection and fit, there's value. I got my Beretta at an attractive price. May I suggest, if you're planning on getting a comp gun, don't go to the "special gun room" at one of the big box sports stores -- comp guns are just a small fraction of their sales. Do yourself a favor and deal with Robert or someone like him. Over the years, when I've had comp gun questions, a direct call to Robert has got me the answer -- try that with your big box store.

*For those who don't know Robert Paxton, he's been selling comp shotguns for over 30 years and is still an active premier skeet shooter. His accomplishments include: induction into the NSSA Hall of Fame, World Champion (5 times), 38 selections as an All-American Team member. 17 perfect tournaments (400x400), etc. Robert is also skeet's semi-official Master of Trivia. If you want to know what left handed shooter had the ugliest dog at the 2005 US Open, if anyone knows, it's probably Robert.
Old December 14, 2009, 08:14 AM   #15
mwar410

had had two or three that he had for years, already tubed and cased. it was one of his specials to clear off the shelves. NIB probably 3 years old, they already went to the gold E, which I don't care very much for. The electrocibles ( I think it's a european game) came with a very straight comb. never heard of this before I bought it.
Old December 14, 2009, 08:30 AM   #16
LanceOregon

Get a Franchi Veloce Side Plate from Beretta's sister company Franchi. Very well made and drop dead gorgeous Italian over/under shotgun in 20 gauge. Very fast handling shotgun for upland game.

They cost a little over $2k, and are works of art. Fine figured wood, beautiful engraving, and with lovely gold inlays. The gun is a wonderful value, and shoots and looks just as good as shotguns costing far more.

Old December 14, 2009, 08:42 AM   #17
Waterengineer

.........And for some reason Franchi has choose to make this gun only in a 26-inch barrel. Why!?!?!?!? We will wait for a long time for an answer from the deciders at Beretta/Franchi/Benelli to tell us the answer to that one..........
Old December 14, 2009, 09:45 AM   #18
oneounceload

For the amount the OP was originally asking about spending a bespoke gun from Perazzi and others is very doable. Whether or not the engraving cost is, is another matter; however, getting the barrel length, overall weight, balance point, and stock measurements exactly to his liking are.

Now I just need to hit the lotto.............
Old December 14, 2009, 10:20 AM   #19
Waterengineer

Something from this company, I am sure would work.

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/
Old December 14, 2009, 10:44 AM   #20
oneounceload

You betcha WE - Tony makes some VERY nice stuff indeed
Old December 14, 2009, 12:00 PM   #21
Waterengineer

Yes, and I would like to use YOUR checkbook to pay for it.............
Old December 14, 2009, 12:06 PM   #22
oneounceload

Quote:
Yes, and I would like to use YOUR checkbook to pay for it.............
No you wouldn't - it would bounce....

YOU'RE the one with the PALM BEACH location..............

I DO regret missing out on the RBL in 20. I went to place an order and they had stopped taking them........
Old December 14, 2009, 04:28 PM   #23
Firepower!

I am really not sure what shotgun specifications are best for me. I want a nice shotgun that I use for skeet and something to be a valuable addition to a collection. I am generally a full auto person who wants a nice double barrel as well. I dont want to spend a ridiculous amount, but at the same time I want to gun to be in upper echelon. All I know is that I want 2 triggers and something light and shorter in length that yeilds opitmal results. I can spend up to 150,000 but for that I will have to wait three years since I will be freeing up some cash from a project. If there is something that is worth waiting 3 or 4 years for than so be it since I am in no hurry and I can use my cheap Tecknys Gold meanwhile.

However, when we start to speak 150K range shotguns, is Beretta really should to shoulder with guns like Holland and Holland and Purdey, which I can also buy in this price range? And, not to forget Perazzi etc.

Or Beretta is worth the buy and in same class?

I must admit that when it comes to double barrels, I know very little. I want to learn, however.
Old December 14, 2009, 04:45 PM   #24
oneounceload

Skeet shooters typically shoot an O/U. O/U can also be used successfully for hunting as can a nice SxS.

Once you get past about US $12,000, IMO, you start to get into the realm of the upgraded wood and engraving - both of which may add an additional 30 to 50,000 US to the cost. The guns I have seen, fondled and shot that were in the 50-100,000 range and NOT super fancy were the David Mackay Brown's, Purdey, H&H, etc. where you are paying for the hand-built attention to detail. Is it worth it? Only YOU can answer that question.

Personally, I would opt to go to Italy and visit Beretta, Perazzi and maybe Fabbri to see their showrooms and ask questions. They may have trial guns to let you see what might work for you.

The fun is in the search
Old December 14, 2009, 04:58 PM   #25
ishida336

No offense to anyone, but $150,000 for a shotgun?
That's more than a good majority of people make in a year, even if they didn't have to pay taxes.

Tags
a391 , beretta , shotgun