The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 10, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1
possumman

question about ccw

Hi, would any of you feel comfortable carrying 1911 cocked and locked Without holster, just tucked in waistband? There are some guns which I have carried this way, ie. sp101, or double action first round semi. Sometimes I just don't like to hassle with holster.
Old December 10, 2009, 04:52 PM   #2
bangbangshootshoot

Absolutely not. Too many negatives doing that; snagging upon drawing and slippage for starters..
Old December 10, 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
CWPinSC

Quote:
Sometimes I just don't like to hassle with holster.
???

The holster is an important safety device that shouldn't be disregarded. It holds the gun securely in place, and protects the trigger from being accidentally pulled.

I wouldn't carry a BB gun without a properly-fitting holster.

Holsters are not that expensive, nor are they that hard to put on and take off, Don't scrimp on your safety.

"South-of-the-border carry" is DUMB!
Old December 10, 2009, 05:00 PM   #4
hoytinak

A good holster along with a good belt is just as important (if not more) than the handgun itself.
Old December 10, 2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Atroxus

There are what 3 seperate safeties on a 1911? Thumb, grip, and something else right? I would not think safety would be the main reason not to carry a 1911 holsterless IWB, but snags on draw, slippage, and corrosion from constant exposure to sweat would worrisome imo. Just my 2 cents though.
Old December 10, 2009, 06:53 PM   #6
omega

Hopefully it would get tangled in my underwear before it slipped down my pants leg. How embarrassing.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:35 PM   #7
schutzen

Holster

Some states require your CCW be carried in a holster, make sure your legal.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Carne Frio

Carry like that could be unsafe. Something like this could be what you
should check out:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...=1242&GunID=28

It is minimal but still secures the weapon.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:09 PM   #9
gearchecker

Go without a holster... Not on my life!

Too many chances for mishaps. Had a vasectomy, that's as close to losing my "personality" as I ever care to get. I have 6 handguns and 11 holsters.
Inexpensive protection for very valuable handguns.
Have one fall out of your waistband and go skating across the Walmart parking lot, you will wish it was in the holster then.
Roadrash looks like hell on a handgun.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old December 10, 2009, 11:15 PM   #10
mnhntr

NO
Old December 11, 2009, 09:01 AM   #11
macville

Let's say I see your shirt ride up in public and there is no holster, I am going to consider that there is a good chance you are a bad guy. When was the last time you heard about a thug carrying their gun in a holster? Even pocket/purse carry should have a holster. It just make common sense!
Old December 11, 2009, 09:38 AM   #12
riggins_83

That holster ensures the gun is in the same place when you take it off as it was when you put it on, protects the trigger, if full length keeps debris from getting in the barrel, lowers the chance of it snagging and falling out... etc etc. I've never carried without a holster and cannot imagine doing so. If you feel the holster is too much of a pain you have the wrong holster.

I carried a 1911 IWB for years- check out the Safariland 27 IWB for that gun. One of the most comfortable hostlers I've ever found.
Old December 11, 2009, 10:09 AM   #13
Dwight55

Would I? Yes Have I? Yes

Would I recommend it? Sure. Will I do it again, . . . don't know why not.

"Mexican Carry" is an expedient way to park a 1911 while you run out to the barn, . . . shed, . . . to a neighbor's, . . . or somewhere else close, . . . but it is not meant to take the place of a good belt and holster.

It is no more dangerous than pocket carrying one, . . . unless your body dimensions tend to squirt any thing and every thing out of your belt like popping the head off a dandelion with your thumb.

As mentioned, . . . there are three safeties on the 1911, . . . making Mexican carry a reliable means of carry for expeditious circumstances.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 11, 2009, 10:33 AM   #14
swinokur

Plaxico Burress says sure. What's the problem? Why not?

Old December 11, 2009, 10:39 AM   #15
dblhelix

Quote:
Plaxico Burress says sure. What's the problem? Why not?
Bet he wishes he had a holster instead of sitting in prison.
Old December 11, 2009, 11:27 AM   #16
Carne Frio

This method works well, if you don't like holster carry:

http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index....on=show_detail

Old December 11, 2009, 12:05 PM   #17
mongo523

Swinokur... I bet Plaxico wishes he had a 1911 in his pocket instead of a Glock.
Old December 11, 2009, 12:32 PM   #18
rburch

Not a 1911, but I carried my CZ-75b cocked and locked like that for a couple weeks.

Mainly because I didn't have a holster for it and my Kel-Tec PF-9 broke the mag catch.

I'd feel ok carrying a 1911 in similar fashion, but would use a IWB holster if I had one for it.

BTW the broke PF-9 showed me it's not too hard to carry a bigger gun.

Which led me to get a CZ PCR compact (Which I carry in a holster)

If you're going somewhere on your property and just want to slip your 1911 into your waistband, then I think that's fine if you take the time to learn how to do it, but I'd still look into a IWB or Paddle Holster that is easy to slip on and off.

It takes me about 2 seconds to take my CZ and holster off my belt, and maybe double that to put it on, and actually takes a bit longer to get my gun positioned and tightened down properly without a holster.

So for me I'd use a holster if you have one. if the one you have isn't comfortable, look for a different one that works better.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old December 11, 2009, 01:00 PM   #19
Rich Miranda

I occasionally 'mexican-carry' my Ruger P-series semi-autos. I don't have 1911s so I keep a round chambered, hammer uncocked (double-action) and safety on.

I usually do this on very short trips around town. It's not comfortable or safe to do it on a regular basis or for long term.

I don't have a problem with doing it periodically, but I understand why folks would disagree with me.
Old December 11, 2009, 02:07 PM   #20
kay_gee

sure you can do that but get a clip draw and you will be all good...thats the only way i would carry without using a holster...
Old December 11, 2009, 08:18 PM   #21
jborushko

yeah... it happens..

realistically it probably not the smartest idea on the planet, but you'd be hard pressed to have your shirt and waist band release the thumb safety AND depress the grip safety AND pull the trigger.

though once or twice i have run across a released thumb safety and i was nervous.

bottom line: you probably shouldn't do it, but god will never take away our fundamental right to be stupid.
Old December 11, 2009, 08:37 PM   #22
oldkim

The Seattle Fire Department said a man accidentally shot himself in the leg...

http://www.kirotv.com/news/21715720/detail.html
November 24, 2009

"The Seattle Fire Department said a man accidentally shot himself in the leg at the food court of Westlake Mall."

The guy had a derringer in his pocket and it fell out, when it hit the floor it shot hitting him in the leg.

I'm not saying a holster would of prevented this - as a gun falling out of a holster or a pocket - things can happen. He was carrying it loose and it slipped out.

Bad idea. Just my $0.02

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old December 12, 2009, 01:14 AM   #23
Mello2u

Quote:
possumman

Hi, would any of you feel comfortable carrying 1911 cocked and locked Without holster, just tucked in waistband?
I would not feel comfortable.

I might be compelled to do so in some extreme circumstance, but I would not do so if I had a choice. A good holster and gun belt secures the handgun in place so that when I reach for it; it will be there.
" Frederic Bastiat