The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 9, 2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Opinion of Springfield M1A

Are these rifles overpriced? I shot one a few weeks ago at the range, and man I loved it! I didn't know the SOCOM is also from Springfield. I am looking for a long range rifle mainly for long-distance target shooting, but will do hunting about 2X a year. Just wanted to get some input from my fellow experts out there. Thanks.
Old December 9, 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Longdayjake

There are better REALLY long range guns, but I shoot my m1a loaded at 400 yards with really good results. The Socom is NOT a long range rifle. It is a wonderful rifle, but it takes a LOT of work to get them to shoot well at long range.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:02 PM   #3
pvt.Long

SOCOM rifle is more of a cqb rifle.They are not over priced at all The stranded m1a is your best bet to start with. Ive got an old m14 and is more then I asked for and if you know what your doing you can get targets at 1000 yards. Its by far one of the most accurate rifles on the market to date. Very few even hold a candle to it.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:14 PM   #4
SR420

Springfield Armory, Inc. M1As can be very good right out of the box and they have
several variants available. Springfield is the only company that makes the M1A.

There are a few companies out there that build M14 clones that are closer
to USGI M14s than the M1A. LRB, SEI and the Chinese M14s come to mind.

I would not recommend the SOCOM for long range work, consider the 18.0"
Bush, Scout and MK14 or the many 22.0" variants. These two barrel lengths
will handle longer ranges than the Springfield SOCOM 16.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:32 PM   #5
FSJeeper

I have a SA National Match M1A and a SOCOM. I am very pleased with both but both have different uses. I shoot paper with the NM but not at distances over 500 yards. I thought I had the ultimate brush gun with a .308 Savage 99 until the SOCOM came out. That is now my dedicated brush rifle.

The NM consistently gets near 1 MOA groups with handloads and optics. The SOCOM gets 2.5 - 3 inch groups at 100 yards with premium factory rounds and the excellent iron sights. It is a fast handling and quick on target rifle. I wish it weighed about 2 lbs less though. I have not worked up any loads for it and it will probably improve with handloads. I have thought about putting the NM trigger and sights on it and upgrade the NM with a tricked out trigger group. It may make a difference but the rifle is fine the way it is now for shots 200 yards and less for hunting. The rear peep sight on the SOCOM has a much larger opening than the NM which aids in quick target acquisition, but is not as accurate as the NM sight which is not as fast.

The SOCOM is what is it is, a close quarters battle rifle and it fills that role well. You could spend a bunch of money on it to make it a tack driver, but why mess with something that works wel enough.

All of that said, I got a Tikka T3 in a deal and it shoots sub moa with factory ammo and if I were to venture out to further distances than 500 yards, that is what I would use.
Old December 9, 2009, 09:42 PM   #6
stellite

you are also getting a piece of history. And they have such a beautiful profile IMO.

Old December 9, 2009, 09:50 PM   #7
allons

HI solvo, I don't think they are overpriced, I do think you can pay too much for one! Shop around and get with a good dealer and you might save a few bucks. You didn't really define "long range" but I wouldn't use mine past 500 yds either, unless I had to. I've got other rifles for that.

Some old vets have a history with the M-14, but for one reason or other we can't have them, (location or $$) so we settle for the M1A. SA makes a good one, I have two, one I've had for 30 yrs & another for 6 yrs. Never had any problems and they shoot great.

You might start out just liking it, but in the end, you'll end up hooked like the rest of us! Good luck, Ken

Old December 9, 2009, 09:50 PM   #8
SR420

Quote:
stellite you are also getting a piece of history. And they have such a beautiful profile IMO.
Yes, and they can also be modernized to meet today's needs

From my personal collection:

Old December 9, 2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Solvo Pium

Yea Allons, you are right, I'll probably get hooked.
Old December 10, 2009, 04:09 PM   #10
TheManHimself

New production Springfields are mostly repro parts. If you can find an older used one built from USGI surplus parts, it'll be a better quality weapon, and if the seller doesn't know the difference you might get it for a better price, too.
Old December 10, 2009, 04:31 PM   #11
azredhawk44

Quote:
I am looking for a long range rifle mainly for long-distance target shooting,
If you're sitting at a bench and milking the trigger trying to find a sweet spot on it, you're better served with a good Savage or Remington target bolt action.

The M1A or M14 platform is inherently a service rifle. Highly tricked-out versions today achieve significant accuracy well above those of the Vietnam era service rifles, but still lag well behind bolt actions.

They are heavier than bolt actions.

They are more expensive than bolt actions.

Where they excel, is in iron-sight NRA High Power competitions (though they lag behind the AR-15 today when both specimens are equally fawned over by a competent gunsmith). They also excel in situations where an autoloading .30 caliber is desireable to engage multiple targets in a reasonably precise manner.

They are not sniper rifles and should not be confused as such.

As far as "long range:"

200 yards? 400 yards? 1000 yards?

The M14 can do it, even with stock irons. As long as the shooter has the skill necessary. And it's a HARD skill to obtain and preserve.

But it is most certainly not an IDEAL rifle for 1000 yard shooting.

The M14 is a service rifle. First and foremost. Just remember that if you get one.
Old December 10, 2009, 04:48 PM   #12
stellite

SR420, are those all Sage stocks?

if so does installing one of these affect taking the rifle back to stock?
Old December 10, 2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Tucker 1371

Dang this thread is making me jealous of all you M1A owners , I've never had the funds to buy one . When I do it'll be either a Scout in black or a SOCOM in black.
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Old December 10, 2009, 05:10 PM   #14
stellite

theMan, do you think that an older usgi internals gun is going to be that much better than a new one? shouldn't the quality of materials be at least as good these days if not better.

Does this theory also hold true for a "loaded" or "NM" model made today? I just don't understand how an M1a made 10 years ago could be better than one made today just because one had GI issued parts? If this is indeed true and I know you are not the only one to say it, what parts would the new guns need replaced to make them as good? and what exactly do the new ones do that make them not as good? I do not hear of any issues with M1A's these days. I remember hearing of issues in the 2001-2005 time frame, which is also about the time that there was some minor issues with their 1911's. But seems to me like most of that was ironed out a few years ago.
Old December 10, 2009, 07:00 PM   #15
SR420

Quote:
stellite SR420, are those all Sage stocks?

if so does installing one of these affect taking the rifle back to stock?
They are all SAGE EBR stocks.
You replace the original op rod guide with the SAGE op rod guide block and you replace the
front band with a crush washer. Reverse these two changes and you are back to stock.

It has been my experience that you want USGI or SEI parts instead of reproduction parts.
Also, I have had outstanding results with Chinese op rods, trigger groups and receivers.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:27 PM   #16
Solvo Pium

Thanks for replies

I appreciate the replies. I have always had a very good knack for shooting long distance. Some guys spend ALOT of $$ and can't hit the side of a red barn, but I can hit just about anything with close to junk. I am jsut looking at different rifles (semi-auto) would be super, but having a bolt-action is just fine as well. We had a little girl 10 days ago, soooooo that kind of sets back any BIG spending on a rifle for long distance shooting. Fine with me. She's worth it. My relaxation is when being out on the range, taking my time, seeing if I can't put one round next to my last shot, and shooting the breeze with the guys. Guess I'll be looking at some bolt-action.