The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 9, 2009, 12:53 PM   #1
John76248

Do you answer your door?

This happened a couple years ago in the suburb next to mine. http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=5972 *If I am not expecting you I will not answer the door. I live in a more upscale neighborhood and see it as being more problematic for home invasions and such then if I lived in da hood. A few months back in my subdivision we had a attempted home invasion on a Saturday afternoon.
Hell *you got dirt bags running around shooting cops while drinking coffee.

So would you answer your own front door unexpectedly?
Old December 9, 2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Yep.

The worst thing that ever happened around here is Mormons and Jehovah's handing out tracts. Usually they come in pairs. Someone yesterday said that we should prepare for 3 times worse than anything we've ever heard of. Well, I've heard of these guys showing up with 3, so maybe they'll show up with 9.

I'd still open the door.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
javabum

If memory serves me correctly,i believe this type of subject was already posted up.
Any ways,i don't see a problem with answering the door.All you have to do is look thru the peep hole in the door or if you don't have one ask who it is.If you don't see anyone or if they don't answer don't open the door.

Trouble is city wide,neighborhood wide.If you are that paranoid or think trouble is at the door every time some one shows up i don't know what will help.Heck,
some times a friend will show up with out warning because he was in the area.
I know some times my friends will.

NRA Life member
Old December 9, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
CorpITGuy

Just yesterday I answered the door - with a Sigma 40 on my hip. I won't answer the door without a gun, ever.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:22 PM   #5
okiefarmer

I think the next time I see them riding up on their bikes, I will answer the door in the nude.

Well, the EAA Witness .40 on my side might cover up a little skin, not completely nude.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:25 PM   #6
12-34hom

meow mix

Normally, i let our cat answer it.

12-34hom
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:29 PM   #7
cycleguru

Daytime, no problem. My front door has a decorative glass panel so I can always see who's standing on the porch. I know this stinks from a tactical standpoint, but 17 years ago, when we built this house, tactical home defense was the furthest thing from our minds. Didn't own a weapon or carry concealed then. Middle of the night, however, would be a different story. My approach to the door would be from the side where person could'nt see me. My 1911 would be in my hand at my side. I'd flip on the porch light. If I did not know the person I would not open the door and he'd be told to leave my property NOW.

I should point out that I live in a small rural community with a very low crime rate. Never even heard of a home invasion around here. But, I know, anything's possible these days. I'm not naive.
Old December 9, 2009, 03:04 PM   #8
jborushko

i got a inexpensive outdoor day/night camera aimed at the door area so i can see who you are without ever leaving the office. - course i can just look out my office window and see who you are anyway.
Old December 9, 2009, 03:16 PM   #9
J.Netto

If I don't know you, I won't open the door.

Who ever is knocking, can tell me what they want while my door is closed.
Old December 9, 2009, 03:19 PM   #10
SAIGAFISH

only if i want to

only if they are not carrying books.i do a look and asess
but that also has flaws.I have told people at the door that i was not going to answer and that can go ahead and leave they looked alittle off
or something i was prepared for an adverse reaction from inside
the house door closed and locked. we do keep the door locked
when possible.My kids have friends comeing and going and all that
stuff.
Old December 9, 2009, 03:44 PM   #11
B. Lahey

Unless I'm asleep or it's a weird hour or I just don't feel like it, usually yes. But I look first.

The only time I can think of recently when I didn't was when I heard a knock at the door late at night and saw a tall, hairy dude standing extremely close to the door. It looked like he was intentionally standing in such a way so he coudn't be seen well from the peep-glass. That got my "oh crap" meter making alarming noises, so I said through the door in a clear booming voice something like:

WHO IS IT AND WHAT DO YOU WANT? STAND WHERE I CAN SEE YOU.

With that he moved so I could see him, and said in a scared warbling voice:

"Sorry man, um... I live across the street, um... and I'm real sorry to bother you, but I got some of your mail" (holds up mail)

He was obviously a hippie trying to be neighborly, and I had scared the crap out of him or something. I got my mail, thanked him, and felt like a bit of a doofus.
Old December 9, 2009, 04:10 PM   #12
steve201

I have a sign at the door side light that states...

"don't want it"
don't need it"
"already got it"

so if they are selling, hawking, pushing anything...I don't answer...my wife won't answer the door unless I'm there....when someone rings the door bell...I have two viciously crazed shelties that run up barking thier heads off...not that they would defend anything...but the noise would more than likely drive someone away....or they would slip and fall on the attack sheltie pee they left all over the floor.....
most of the time I'm wearing my taurus pt145bp 45acp on my hip....

Steve
Old December 9, 2009, 04:52 PM   #13
Pyzon

My driveway is over 1000' long, with only one other house on it, and we (my only real neighbor and I) decided to put a reflective 12X24 sign up at the end where our mailboxes are that has the red circle with a dash "do not enter" symbol at the top, and wording at the bottom that says "residents only, no public access, no trespassing, no soliciting".

And we still get an occaisional solicitor. I think some of them are like the telemarketers that call saying "I'm not selling anything, I'm calling you to provide some information that you will find helpful" (so we can send somebody out that will be trying to sell you something). They really don't consider themselves telemarketers or solicitors I guess. But I do, and I tell them so only once, politely. After that I get a whole lot more indignant.

But to answer the question, in the daylight I will answer the door,even for a stranger, (that does not look like Charlie Manson), carefully blocking it from opening very far with my foot. After dark, I turn on the porch light to see if I recognize the knocker. If yes, same kind of blocking technique as in daylight. If a stranger, or after I'm in the sack and get woke up, we're going to talk through the closed door with the porch light on (and it is plenty bright, btw). Nope, unless you are recognized, with a good reason to be knocking, you're not coming in. I will make a call for you if I believe you are out of gas or broken down. If I do not fall for your excuse, I'm calling the sheriff and will tell you so. But beggars, anytime, are not welcome.

Sorry, I already gave my charitible quantity, get lost.
Old December 9, 2009, 05:00 PM   #14
Capt Charlie
Staff

Quote:
If memory serves me correctly,i believe this type of subject was already posted up.
Yep, several times, in fact. The most notable one turned out to be nothing more than a stage for our stand-up comedians.

From the one-liners I'm seeing here, this one will never see Hollywood either .

Seriously folks, this is a common sense issue, not a tactical one .

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread