The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2009, 05:14 AM   #1
Firepower!

Glock Questions

Howdy
I have a few Glock related questions that may benefit all of owning Glocks through this discussion.

Please feel free to add you own questions to this thread by high-lighting the question in the title.

Here we go.

Question: What nite sites do you think are the best for Glocks?

Question: How do you rate this trigger reset kit, and how important is the adjuster, and it is safe to carry live round with this setup?

Question: Which do you prefer a compensated or ported barrel?

Question: When using AWC suppressor on Glock 21, how much can you reduce the noise? Is it possible to take it to a level when one just hear nothing more then the racking of the slide?

Question: What are your views on tungsten guiding rod with a 24 lbs spring with respect to the accuracy?

Shall ask more questions once we get going here
Old December 9, 2009, 06:32 AM   #2
AK103K

I like mine the way they came out of the box. Its been my experience with most things, once you start trying to soup them up, they tend to not work as well.

The factory Glock night sights work well. I've also recently replaced a set of fairly new (06-07's) Trijicons on a used Glock I bought with a set of Meprolights, as the white ring on the Trijicons had fallen apart. The Trijicons werent as bright either.

It would be nice if someone made a set with a wider rear notch though. I like more light on either side of the front sight than most of them give you.

I dont have a problem with the stock triggers, barrels, or guide rods.

A suppressor would be nice.
Old December 9, 2009, 07:09 AM   #3
KenpoTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower!

Question: How do you rate this trigger reset kit, and how important is the adjuster, and it is safe to carry live round with this setup?

Question: When using AWC suppressor on Glock 21, how much can you reduce the noise? Is it possible to take it to a level when one just hear nothing more then the racking of the slide?

Question: What are your views on tungsten guiding rod with a 24 lbs spring with respect to the accuracy?
I'll preface this by saying that my answers are my opinion as it applies to a gun that's going to be carried for self-defense. If it's a game-gun, knock yourself out.

Night Sights: Currently I use XS Big-Dots. If I wasn't using those, I'd be using Warrens or 10-8's. Might end up switching out the sights on one of my guns just for experimentation purposes.

Trigger reset kit: Wouldn't waste my time...the stock trigger is fine and it seems that in most cases of persistent reliability issues, after-market parts are to blame.

Barrels: Neither...if you have to shoot from retention you don't want the ports throwing stuff up into your face.

Suppressors: No experience personally.

Guide rod and spring: Leave it stock, it's fine the way it is.

just my $0.02
Old December 9, 2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Firepower!

As I understand from the two response:

The only worth changing is probably the night sights.
Old December 9, 2009, 07:50 AM   #5
AK103K

And thats only if you dont like the factory, three dot night sights, assuming it came with them. I like the three dots, a lot of people dont.
Old December 9, 2009, 09:42 AM   #6
jmr40

I prefer nite sites on a SD gun, but the stock Glock sites are pretty good. I have no particular brand preference. Unless you are shooting in competition I would stay away from ported or compensated barrels. Save your money and buy ammo.
Old December 9, 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

Quote:
That can will probably not make the .45 hearing safe without some kind of artificial medium added to it. Even then it will be in the 130+ decibel range. There are no centerfire pistol cans that make the gun so quiet all you hear is the slide. None I have seen/heard anyway. If you want that quiet you need to go to a SMG like a MP5SD or a Uzi. They can be very quiet with the right ammo/can.
Old December 9, 2009, 10:59 AM   #8
KenpoTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower!
As I understand from the two response:

The only worth changing is probably the night sights.
Some people debate the necessity or utility of night sights. I like to have them although I do tend to think that the front sight is the only one that really necessary. The reason I don't personally care for tritium vials in the rear sight is that I find that it distracts me from focusing on the front sight. I blacked out the rear sight vials on my issued glock with a Sharpie to solve this problem.
So anyway, to each their own on this issue.

I do believe that you should absolutely get rid of the factory plastic sights in favor of some metal ones. The plastic ones can break off. The metal ones also give you the ability to rack the slide off your belt/pocket/boot when reloading or performing malfunction drills with one hand. Avoid ramped or "no snag" rear sights, they're worthless on a carry gun IMO.
Old December 9, 2009, 11:00 AM   #9
flight954

Quote:

Meprolite or Trijicon
I'm not sure but isn't compensated or ported basically the same?
Load your own with a heavy grain bullet-you would have to rack the slide if you want Hollywood silent.
I can't answer the last question because I haven't the experience
Old December 9, 2009, 11:13 AM   #10
SigSauerIsBetter

Competition shooting vs. home protection

Quote:
I have a Glock 17 and 17c. I use the 17 in most situations, but I compete with the 17c. Flash is brighter and the potential for getting debris in your grill are greater with a 17C.

Also, the night sights would be a great addition. I am getting trigger and slide spring modifications on my competition gun. I would NOT recommend spending the cabbage unless you compete. Ammo is pretty expensive as is.
Old December 9, 2009, 11:42 AM   #11
jimmyjohnsonjr

I like the heavy NY trigger

my Glock had the original trigger one day it broke I had a guy install the NY trigger it took a few shots to get use to it , I think its way better & safer than the original I dont shoot in matches so that light pull was a little too light plus the NY seems better made & less chance to break. if something like a Hurricane hit & I could only take one pistol it would be the Glock 19 with a few extra 15 rd mags
Old December 9, 2009, 05:55 PM   #12
rauchman

Have to agree w/ the majority here, that aside from night sights, the gun's better as stock w/a 5.5# stock trigger.

Having said that, if you're intent on changing stuff out.....

I'm assuming this in reference to a G21.

I don't think it would be worth it to get a compensated/ported barrel. If this is a .45ACP shooting standard 230 ammo, I don't believe the .45's pressure pulse is strong enough where you'd really benefit from it.... more show than go. If it were a .40 or 357Sig, then I could see it as both these rounds have a considerably higher working pressure. This is my assumption as I've never compared a ported G21 to a nonported G21.

Night Sights - I have Trijicons on a G19 and I believe Mepros on a G17. The Trijicon is brighter but newer. The Mepros have a larger bulb to them.

Trigger - My G17 has a 3.5# connector, and yes the trigger is a bit lighter, but it does have a mushy, as compared to stock, feel to it. If the gun is for target, then I do believe the lighter pull makes a slight difference to an accurate shot. I do prefer the stock trigger I have in 2 - G19's. I've practiced MANY dry fires and it helps tremendously in getting off a shot where the sights just don't move. My body might move while holding the gun, but the gun does not move in my hands when pulling the trigger. I used to think Glocks had the worst feel of any gun out there, and to a large extent that is true. However, when actually shooting the gun, that blocky grip feel really allows me to anchor the pistol in my hands. I now find, pistols that have a nicer more ovalish feel in the grip, give me more lateral movement during trigger pull/trigger break. I went to a gun store recently to look at a G26 and an M&P9C. I dry fired the G26 and have to say I was impressed with the gun. Also, and more importantly, the gun, like other Glocks I have, didn't move an iota during trigger pull/break. The M&P had an outstanding feel to it, but during dry firing of the trigger, the gun would flinch to the right at the trigger break. Sorry, I digress....

Guide Rod - It won't do anything towards accuracy. Nothing!!! What it will do is add weight at the muzzle end and allow for easy non-captive spring changes. The weight will allow for less muzzle rise during shooting.

Suppressors - No experience there.... sorry.

Again, if the gun is for SD, I'd limit it to a change to night sights. If it's a range toy, go nuts!!! Parts are cheap and the gun is easy to work on.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:51 PM   #13
bakon

Trijicon on our weapons. But for real night help a light cant be beat. Night and day with a weapon light.

Cant help with the other stuff. We had new york triggers but went back to stock set up.Stock is much nicer.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:35 AM   #14
booker_t

+1 for KenpoTex's comment
Quote:
The metal ones also give you the ability to rack the slide off your belt/pocket/boot when reloading or performing malfunction drills with one hand. Avoid ramped or "no snag" rear sights, they're worthless on a carry gun IMO.
The only modification I've made to my Glock 20 is the factory night sights, three dots, took a little getting used to but they work just fine. I can see that somebody who was used to a different style of rear sight would get a little mixed up, in which case, using the Sharpie or a different rear is the way to go. In the end, do what works for you, it might take some trial & error.
Old December 14, 2009, 01:13 PM   #15
Firepower!

Glock 36 C Question

How do you find Glock 36C? Is it a good candidate for a match pistol?

Other than compensated barrel, is there any other special feature?
Thanks
Old December 14, 2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Uncle Malice

I think this depends on the application. I have the Tru-GLO TFO sights on my G23. They are extremely bright in both night and day. My only negative is that the front sight is quite long and therefor cuts down on your total sight radius. Therefore, if you are going for longer distance accuracy, I would lean towards something like the Meprolights.

Again, this depends on the purpose of the weapon. I don't think the adjustable version is a good choice for CCW, it's more of a competition(as stated) trigger kit. For that purpose it is probably great. I carry for self-defense and I use the Ghost Ultimate 3.5# connector with a G22(smooth front) drop-in trigger.

Neither.

Never used a suppressor.

I have used the stainless guide rod, but not the tungsten. I eventually just went back to the factory one. It didn't make a difference in how I shot. I do like the stronger springs.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:29 PM   #17
Lunker

I am a big fan of the Ghost Sights on my Glock 34 and 20SF. I have the Ultimate 3.5. The whole kit costs $25 and you can put it in (or take it out) in 10 minutes. No fitting required. I used all the parts in the kit, but you don't have to. Between your stock springs/connector and the ones in the kit, you have a lot of different combinations to try. I really liked the combination of the Ghost connector and striker spring, with the NY1 trigger.

http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_...igger_Kit.html
Old December 26, 2009, 04:56 PM   #18
Firepower!

The Best Glock?

In your opinion which is the best Glock ever made, especially in 9mm?
Old December 27, 2009, 01:14 AM   #19
glocktoys

i have meps on my g21 with a jarvis threaded barrel and a aac evo-45. wet it is great but never tv quiet (my glock 19 with the evo-9 is quiet but even the p22 with outback II is louder that tv). i like all my glocks and my hk's and sigs too but the stoc glock (internal) is best to me, extended mag and slide release i like on some of the guns
Old December 27, 2009, 05:01 AM   #20
roman3

I make only a couple of changes to my Glocks depending on model.

First I do want night sights on all my guns. I was in the Military where we did not have night sights for 20 years, and in LE for 7 years where we did. I prefer the night sights. Only my LCP and Makarovs are not so equipped.

I prefer Meprolights. Bright and easy to see both day and night and are cost effective. Tried Ameriglo once and did not like how small the dots were. Trijicons are good but more costly around here so the meps get the contract

Second change is the trigger. The Compacts (19) and sub Compacts (26) have target triggers added in order to make enough points to be imported. I prefer the smooth faced triggers of the full size (17) so I place a 17 trigger on all my 19's and 26's.
May not be an issue in Pakistan depending on how the smaller glocks are imported.

And finally, if its a Glock 34 or 17L which has the extended mag release and slide lock, I have those replaced with the normal sized ones. Adjustable sights also get taken off for night sights.

(clearly I am a 9mm fan but the same would be true of any caliber Glocks)

Beyond that I only use stock Glock parts, either the 3.5 (4.5) or 5.5 connectors. If I buy a used Glock anything aftermarket comes off and is replaced with Glock parts.

And while I know people do it, particually for cost reason, I would not use an aftermarket barrel (Converting a 40 to a 9mm for example) for anything other than range use. Certainly not SD use. YMMV

I have a first generation 17L which has the ported barrel, I also picked up a later factory barrel for it. I prefer the non ported for defense purposes. I shoot the old barrel only now and then mostly for a fun effect on the range

Last edited by roman3; December 27, 2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old December 27, 2009, 05:12 AM   #21
Firepower!

@Roman3
How do you compare 17 to 17L and 19 in terms of accuracy?
Old December 27, 2009, 05:12 AM   #22
LUPUS

Mechanicly the best and the most reliable Glock is the bone stock factory Glock, and I do not believe that any modification can make you a better Glock shooter or turn your Glock trigger into a 1911 trigger. You can see one of my first targets with 30 rounds with a G19 without any modification. I see no considerable and practical recoil difference between the standard and C models, and if I could have owned only one Glock, it would definitely be a standard model. And any night sight from any quality manufacturer such as Meprolight and Trijicon will be just fine.

Last edited by LUPUS; December 27, 2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old December 27, 2009, 06:09 AM   #23
Diamond LawDawg

As IS

Both my Glocks (30 and 27) out of the box are just fine. Used the 30 while working Gangs and Narcotics...did'nt need night sights under any circumstances that arose,it was up close and personal (less than 15 feet) Now, retired, I carry both,alternating them at my whim.
Old December 27, 2009, 10:26 AM   #24
roman3

Quote:
How do you compare 17 to 17L and 19 in terms of accuracy?

If I am standing on a range, taking my time, punching paper, the longer sight radius of the 17L then the 34 will let me group a little tighter than the 17 and 19 and 26.

If I am shooting on a more quick pace, on a more active type range, pop up targets and movement etc...

I find the 19 and 26 plenty accurate and the others to be similar. All the Glock 9mm's can qualify on the basic course, some a little better than others. And all can qualify on the "combat" type courses.

If I am shooting for score the 17L is a great choice.
If I am shooting in a hurry the extra sight radius does not really play into my accuracy or in some cases lack there of.

To me all the Glock 9mm's I shoot accurately enough and quickly enough to get mostly hits with some misses.

FWIW
Old December 27, 2009, 12:42 PM   #25
Firepower!

Your response makes me more inclined towards getting a 17L since I want a good accurate range gun.

Has anyone used trigger adjuster?

Tags
glock , glock accessories , glock night sights , glock questions , ported barrel