The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old December 7, 2009, 01:40 PM   #1
studman5578

Assault Rifle Ban Questions

I bought a lower about a year from roggio arsenal and I was wondering if it is affected by the ban. Obviously there is no way anybody could tell me (without seeing it and asking people questions) if my specific lower is restricted.

If it was manufactured after the ban date then would it be restricted?
Also, are weapons that are made during the ban restricted by the regulations, even though the ban has reached its sunset period?

One last (unrelated) question, have any of you ever seen/heard of a gun that has the lower of what looks like an AR-15 but has an upper that looks like somebody took it from a 50 Cal (or something else huge like that)? Its bolt action/single shot bc of the obvious magazine issues, but I saw one at a range a week or so ago and want to know more about it.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old December 7, 2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Don H

There is no federal assault rifle ban. Does Illinois have such a ban?
Old December 7, 2009, 01:56 PM   #3
studman5578

i'm talking about the national ban in '94 that Clinton passed.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old December 7, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
teeroux

That ban died in 04. It was never renewed. The only assault weapon bans in effect are in certain states which enacted them at the fall of the national ban.
Old December 7, 2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Don H

The national ban sunsetted in 2004.

By the way, there are .50BMG conversion kits for Ar-15's. Here's one: http://www.50bmg.net/
Old December 7, 2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Inspector3711

Lets remember, assault rifles aren't generally available to the public. A semi automatic rifle is not the same as an assault rifle.
Old December 7, 2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Technosavant

Since the sunset of the ban five years ago, the only bans are local or state; as far as the feds go, that ban never existed.

Whatever was "pre ban" is good to go. Whatever was "banned" is good to go. Whatever was "post ban legal" is now missing some rather useful features, but is no more legal to own than something which had every single one of the banned features. Even something made from 94-04 that was prohibited for civilian ownership during that time is perfectly OK for anybody in a non-ban state or locale to own.

IL has no state ban, I do not know if municipalities have their own (if they do, there aren't many).
Old December 7, 2009, 02:34 PM   #8
studman5578

Right, but aren't semi automatic rifles with more than two of the qualifications met, considered assault weapons?
Old December 7, 2009, 02:39 PM   #9
studman5578

Thanks! That completely answers my questions. Cook county has some regulations but you won't catch me dead in that county.
Old December 7, 2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Lunker

Playing the "evil feature" counting game.
You must be from New Jersey! (or a similarly retarded location)
Old December 7, 2009, 03:21 PM   #11
stellite

could you possibly mean this below. I think this is still in effect is it not?

Quote:
The Imported Parts Law (1990)

(178.39 otherwise known as 922(r) 10 Foreign parts law on semiauto Rifles & Shotguns)

Sec. 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of Sec. 178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates
Old December 7, 2009, 03:39 PM   #12
Schneiderman

" Right, but aren't semi automatic rifles with more than two of the qualifications met, considered assault weapons? "

Assault Weapon is a fake classification invented by politicians to scare ignorant people into supporting a ban of guns that look scary.
Old December 7, 2009, 04:10 PM   #13
BigPapa4147

That list only applies to firearms that are imported, like an ak or sks. Chances are, if you bought an ar-15 lower it wasn't imported and thus don't have to worry about counting the parts.
Old December 7, 2009, 04:28 PM   #14
stellite

true. AR's would not count.
Old December 7, 2009, 04:53 PM   #15
stellite

here is a good link for those that do have foreign based rifles, parts count

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildG3VerifyCompliance
Old December 7, 2009, 05:13 PM   #16
Hardcase

Quote:
Assault Weapon is a fake classification invented by politicians to scare ignorant people into supporting a ban of guns that look scary.
I don't want to get into an argument with anyone, but "Assault Weapon" can't really be considered a "fake classification" if it's codified in law, particularly when the term is explicitly defined.

Now, I know that the term essentially came up out of the blue in 1994, but terms come from somewhere. "Assault rifle" as a term didn't exist until the StG 44 came around.

Now, if your beef is with the idea that a detachable magazine, bayonet lug and pistol grip somehow makes a rifle more dangerous than Bubba's hunting rifle, I'm standing right at your side.

And I also agree that there were ulterior motives in creating the term - but arguing that it isn't real is like spittin' in the wind.
Old December 7, 2009, 05:50 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

The moral of the story:

The "parts count" restrictions only apply to imports. It doesn't apply to your AR.

There is no ban. The '94 ban has expired.

...Casually using the term 'assault rifle', on these forums, and you're likely to anger many people. It's just like news anchors throwing around the term "arsenal", when only refering to a single-shot pistol, and non-functioning Winchester 1890...
Old December 7, 2009, 07:39 PM   #18
22-rimfire

Quote:
There is no ban. The '94 ban has expired.
That's correct in terms of the national ban. The sunset occurred during the last presidential campaign. Few (at least in terms of the numbers needed for passage) was willing to hang their future political hopes on a ban that didn't reduce crime or have any impact what so ever on sales other than you saw no bayonets and a few other accessories which were removed prior to sale. Do note that both Obama and Bush supported the renewal of the "ban", however, the Democrats wanted to make it much more stringent because it didn't work. Bush was only luke warm on the issue and said that he would sign the renewal if it reached his desk for signature. He was pretty sure it would not make it through Congress. Obama was a bit more vocal as I recall about the renewal but even he saw no political gain by pushing it.
Old December 7, 2009, 07:41 PM   #19
SR420

Quote:
aren't semi automatic rifles with more than two of the qualifications met, considered assault weapons?
Only by freedom hating liberal extremists and their supporters.
Old December 7, 2009, 07:52 PM   #20
Ignition Override

But many thousands of people strongly believe that the highest priority of the Dems is to ban or tax any related products (ammo) to death.

Despite the fact that they seem to realize what it did to Al Gore years ago, they still believe that any day now, our President will sign an Executive Order late at night and sneak it into a bill, without having deliberated the political costs.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:03 PM   #21
UtahHunting

Quote:
Lets remember, assault rifles aren't generally available to the public. A semi automatic rifle is not the same as an assault rifle.
This is a silly statement. Most people, myself included, call them assault weapons because thats what they look like and are perceived as. I have an M&P 15-22 and I consider it an assault weapon. I know it doesn't technically fit the definition but its perception is it is indeed an assault weapon. Perception is reality. We all know what he is talking about. It's the same as the clip vs magazine argument. We all know handguns use magazines, but we also know exactly what they are talking about when they say clip.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:10 PM   #22
elkman06

Quote:
perception is it is indeed an assault weapon
While i am not a right winger by definition, I truly believe that this is a perception that we need to continue to clarify and explain to anyone that will listen. They are not what has been branded by the lefties as a scary thing, they are not interchangeable w/ a automatic weapon which I consider to be a assault weapon. If you continue to play the name game, you wil play into their hands. Might be politcal enuff to cause some discomfort for some but, in this case,,necessary. It's called media hype. elkman06
It is very necesarry to continue to have a clear distinction between them.

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"

Last edited by elkman06; December 7, 2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:34 PM   #23
Tucker 1371

Quote:
I consider it an assault weapon.
No, this ^ is a silly statement. If you want to throw this term around, which was coined by the anti gun lobby mind you, then you are in for hard days on this site. Not saying you'll get banned but you will **** off 90% of people who read your post.

Pay attention to this- the only true "assault weapons" are ones that have actually been used in assaults... a .22lr handgun that gets used by a gangbanger to knock over a 7/11 is more of an "assault weapon" than an AR15 that sees nothing but range time and plinking. Don't perpetuate anti-gun propaganda and lies.

An assault rifle is something completely different. That word refers to a fully automatic rifle such as an AK-47, M16, or G36 that was manufactured and intended solely for military and law enforcement service. The AR15 was never intended for military service and neither was my SAR-2 AK clone and therefor neither are assault rifles.
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:04 PM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

Do yourself, and everyone else a favor

Learn, and use the correct definitons of the terms assault rifle and assault weapon. They are not the same thing, and are not interchangable!

Assault rifle: A classification of military firearm, based on certain specific features, primary among these 1) Select fire capability and 2) intermediate power cartridge. This phrase is the English translation of the German term Sturmgewehr, coined by Hitler to name the MP43/MP44 rifles.
(historical note: Hitler had forbidden the expenditure of resources for new rifles, as he considered them unnecessary. This ban did not extend to the developement of new submachineguns, which the Germans called machine pistols. Certain officers and arms makers did not obey Hitler's order, and developed a select fire rifle, using an intermediate power cartridge. To conceal this from Hitler, it was called a machinepistol (MP). Later, when Hitler learned of the new rifle, he changed his mind, approved of it, and called it "sturmgewehr" (assault rifle).
Under US law, all assault rifles are legally machineguns. Period.

Assault Weapon: A term coined by various anti gun groups, and popularised by the media, later codified in law (1994) covering certain semiautomatic firearms, by name, and all others by a listing of design features. It does not apply to any full auto firearms (machineguns or assault rifles), at all.

The M16 is an assault rifle. The AR 15 in an assault weapon (in certain jurisdictions), IF it has the correct combination of features to make the list.

The confusion comes from the very similar sounding name, and also from the fact that the word "assault" is just one translation from the German "sturm". Sturm means storm (as in weather) and also storm (as in the military storming an objective, or in other words, an assault) Sturm does not translate to mean the same as the English assault, meaning one person attacking (assaulting another in the legal sense).

Your M&P 15-22 would be considered an assault weapon (in certain jurisdictions) but it is NOT an assault rifle.

And there is nothing silly about it. Thinking the confusion of terms is silly nonsense is what got us these laws in the first place.
Old December 11, 2009, 11:35 AM   #25
studman5578

What does the designation 'pre ban' mean in the description of a rifle? Even though the ban is 5 years old, why do places like midwayUSA still say it?
Closed Thread

Tags
ar15 , assault weapons ban , illegal , restriction , roggio arsenal