Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: ONE EYE OR TWO
TWO EYES 78 70.91%
ONE EYE 32 29.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 5, 2009, 01:06 AM   #1
madmag

Poll-Two eyes or one

Do you shoot pistol with two eyes open or one?

Many years ago I transitioned From one eye to two eyes open. I am right handed left eye dominate (like most) and I shoot just as well with two eyes as one. The main difference is that I see more of my surroundings with two eyes open. It was not hard for me to make the change.

So, how do you shoot?
Old December 5, 2009, 01:13 AM   #2
John Clum

For Bullseye shooting, strictly one eye. In fact, I use a flip-down sightblocker on my dominant left eye so I can concentrate more easily on the sight picture with my right eye. I shoot right handed right eye because my right eye is stronger than my left, even though the left is dominant.

For defensive shooting, both eyes open. Don't think. Don't aim. Just shoot.
Old December 5, 2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Jim March

Two eyes is easy when you focus on the target instead of the front sight.

To do THAT, you need a different type of iron sight. See also:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387380
Old December 5, 2009, 02:36 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...I see more of my surroundings with two eyes open..." Depends on what you're shooting at. If you're in a defensive situation and are not concentrating on the target, like you should be, you'll miss.
Target shooting and defensive shooting aren't the same thing.
"...right handed, left eye dominate...like most..." Nope.
Old December 5, 2009, 03:48 AM   #5
Rangefinder

I shoot rifle primarily, and have always shot with both eyes, irons or scope either one. Where one eye looks, the other does too. It makes for much faster target acquirement. When I shoot handguns, it translates straight across just through instinct and habit.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 5, 2009, 09:38 AM   #6
45Gunner

When I was a lad of 8, my Dad bought a pistol for himself and at the same time, purchased .22 rifles for my brother and myself. I shot for a lot of years using only one eye. Even while I was training in the U.S. Army, I shot both rifle and pistol with one eye. I hit the jungles of Vietnam and quickly realized that one-eyed shooting would be the death of me if I maintained that style. There was too much happening too fast and I needed to be more aware of the entire picture.

I brought that forward with me back to the civilian world. I shoot both pistol and rifle two eyes open. My AR - 15 has an ACOG scope which is very comfortable and actually designed for two eyes open shooting.

When shooting my pistols, I keep two eyes open, which better allows me to focus on the sight picture and see the target better. For most people, this takes a bit of training and is something does not come naturally.
NRA Life Member
Old December 5, 2009, 10:50 AM   #7
DRice.72

when my grandfather gave me my first gun, he and my father taught me to shoot with both eyes open. Both of them are combat veterans, I guess that is where they learned it.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:59 AM   #8
sakeneko

I shoot one-eyed for a very good reason -- I'm blind in the other. <wry grin> If I had two, I'd use them.
Old December 5, 2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Ooge E. Bawawa

Would you close one eye in a fist fight?

I always shoot with two eyes open. If you practice enough your dominant eye will take over but you still have the peripheral vision from the non-dominant eye. I would never close one eye in a fistfight either and how much more important is a life or death situation. Besides you will probably be shooting at a very close range anyway or else you wouldn’t be in eminent danger.
Old December 5, 2009, 03:20 PM   #10
goose13

when I was younger I was taught and always shot rifles and shotguns with one eye, but ever since I bought my first handgun I have been shooting with both eyes open, it took me a little while to get used to it it doesn't really bother me anymore, in fact I much prefer shooting with both eyes open.
Old December 5, 2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I am right handed left eye dominate (like most) and I shoot just as well with two eyes as one.
That's news to me. I thought being the same was somewhat uncommon. I still shoot both eyes open. I rather have full peripheral vision as well as not being fatigued trying to keep one closed during long range sessions.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 5, 2009, 04:16 PM   #12
madmag

Quote:
I thought being the same was somewhat uncommon.
I thought most right handed people are left eye dominate. I guess it's the opposite for left handed people?
Old December 5, 2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I don't know, madmag. I'm ambidextrous. I do normally write with my left hand, shoot with my right. Although technically left eye dominant, my right eye starts jockeying for position over the sights when I start to fatigue. During my encounters of discussion, I thought right hand/right eye and left hand/left eye dominance was the norm.

Been wrong before. I'm sure I can be wrong here, too...

Old December 5, 2009, 05:34 PM   #14
madmag

I guess I am the one that's wrong.

Seemed to me that most right handed people I have read about in different gun threads say they are left eye dominant, but that does not appear to be the case over a large population.

Quote:
Ocular dominance, sometimes called eye dominance or eyedness[1], is the tendency to prefer visual input from one eye to the other[2]. It is somewhat analogous to the laterality of right or left handedness; however, the side of the dominant eye and the dominant hand do not always match[3
Quote:
Approximately two-thirds of the population is right-eye dominant
I learned something new. Oh well, the Bad Guy probably will not care which is my dominant eye.

Last edited by madmag; December 5, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old December 5, 2009, 06:35 PM   #15
dondavis3

I shoot with one eye closed.
Old December 5, 2009, 06:50 PM   #16
J.Netto

Always shoot with both eyes open.
Old December 5, 2009, 07:20 PM   #17
Frank Ettin
Staff

Pistols, rifles and shotguns with both eyes open
Old December 5, 2009, 07:33 PM   #18
Chalupa

One eye only for me
Old December 5, 2009, 10:15 PM   #19
Stevie-Ray

Cross-dominant, I close right eye.
Old December 5, 2009, 10:42 PM   #20
Beentown71

Both. I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed (usually). If I squint just a bit and then open, my right eye takes over. I am ambidextrous and sometimes I get confused. When I sit down for dinner the fork just isn't comfortable in either hand. Toss the fork and use my fingers

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink

Last edited by Beentown71; December 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: I for an eye B)
Old December 5, 2009, 11:02 PM   #21
Buffalo Wing

When I first started shooting, it was only one eye for me. Then I started getting some real instruction, and I played catch-up learning two eyes. It's definitely more difficult but also makes more sense as it allows for more situational awareness.

Having said that if looking for real good accuracy with a rifle I still go to just one eye.

I've never really been able to tell which eye is dominant for me (right handed). Most of the informal tests, like bringing my hands after putting them around a distant object slowly back to my eyes, suggest I'm right eye dominant. However, my left eye's vision seems to be stronger and when I first started shooting handguns with two eyes tried to "take over" my right eye's picture. With practice I've been able to mitigate that, though.

Last edited by Buffalo Wing; December 5, 2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Old December 5, 2009, 11:11 PM   #22
madmag

Quote:
I've never really been able to tell which eye is dominant for me (right handed).
Ok, I guess some people are about neutral. That's not bad. You should be just fine for two eyes open.

Last edited by madmag; December 5, 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old December 6, 2009, 12:08 PM   #23
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
With practice I've been able to mitigate that, though.
And that's the issue with me. Just need to keep up on regular practice and I'm fine.

Old December 6, 2009, 01:27 PM   #24
NYPD13

One eye is fine for target shooting however in terms of combat or defensive use, two eyes are a must in order to maintain your peripheral vision.
Old December 6, 2009, 04:26 PM   #25
J.Netto

Quote:
One eye is fine for target shooting however in terms of combat or defensive use, two eyes are a must in order to maintain your peripheral vision.
I agree completely.