The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 27, 2009, 01:55 PM   #1
hellisht

newbee to hand guns

still workin on getting my first gun, waiting on the feds. after i get the ok from them i will be lookin for a beginer class in my area. that being said i am wondering at what distance should i start practicing at.
Old December 27, 2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Phoebe

Locally, I found a free handgun safety course that was a great start. I'd worry about safety before I'd start wondering about shooting distance.

Perhaps while you're waiting, you could start looking around for classes.

What kind of gun are you looking to buy?
Old December 27, 2009, 02:12 PM   #3
jhenry

Phoebe is correct. Safety above all else. You could probably find a friend or aquaintance who could help you out at first. A formal class is a great idea. I usually start folks out somewhere between 3 and 7 yards to insure hits. It is very easy for a new person to get discouraged when they fail to hit the intended target.

As an aside, and please take this in it's intended helpful and constructive context, but people will be more responsive here when you use capitalization and proper spelling instead of texting typre abbreviations and shortcuts.

Good luck.
Old December 28, 2009, 02:54 AM   #4
mobjacker

Class for Pistols

ABSOLUTELY SAFETY IS FIRST!! Don't pick up the gun and load it without some instuction, it is just too dangerous.

I will be offering a class in Frederick, MD- I do not know where you are located.

Basic Pistol Class and Marksmanship training. All pistols (8 types, 4 calibers) Ammo, meals, etc provided (or you cna bring your own.) Includes a video of your shooting. 3 Hrs of classroom, 1 day (8 hours) of shooting time at the range. NRA Basic Pistol Class and the start of the Pistol Marksmanship program. Two shooting days to choose from- Jan 9 or Jan 10. Outdoor range with a Heated Shooting House.

Contact [email protected] for details.
Old December 28, 2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Ryder

I started shooting pistols at 25 feet in bootcamp using a 45acp. Didn't hit the target that first day. Bullets were impacting the top of the berm Second day I was all over the paper. Third and final day I qualified expert. Only 2 or 3 shots outside the black.
Old December 28, 2009, 09:49 AM   #6
45Gunner

Learning to be a safe, responsible person that carries a gun is a dedication that takes time to build skill levels. It is what I refer to as the "building blocks of knowledge."

One must understand the principals of safety with and around guns. Next, is the handling and operation of a gun.

When the former two are learned then it is time to move to shooting the actual gun itself. Learning has been accomplished when one's behavior has been modified. Good training leads to the development of good habits. And...it is far easier to develop good habits then to try and break bad habits (which result from poor training or more specifically, no training at all.)

All of us have witnessed people that improperly handle a gun because they didn't start at the beginning of learning...they just jumped in somewhere in the middle. Take the time to do it right. Everyone will appreciate your efforts.
NRA Life Member
Old December 28, 2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Hard Ball

Five Yards
Old December 29, 2009, 12:36 PM   #8
getupatree

start at 5 steps and then 7 and then 20. Definately get a mentor to go with...Somebody you trust who has experience and they will probably like the excuse to shoot or share knowledge....Gun owners love somebody to listed to their talking