The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 4, 2009, 01:16 PM   #1
S Newton

Hard time finding parts.

I have a 20ga Rem. 48 sportsman simi-auto shotgun. I'm looking for the friction ring. I am also in need of a magizine spring for a Ithaca 20ga simi-auto it seems to be a two-piece spring. e-gunparts.com dosen't have these items in stock right now just wondering if anyone out there would know another place.
Old December 4, 2009, 01:24 PM   #2
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
call

or look at
http://www.brownells.com/
it's where I gae a lot of stuff from.

Ed
Old December 4, 2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Goatwhiskers

I wish you the best of luck on a friction ring. That gun has been obsolete for many years and the friction ring is almost impossible to find. It will be used if you get lucky. Honestly I would suggest you retire the old gun.
Old December 4, 2009, 04:21 PM   #4
James K
Staff

Pretty old, but on the Remington part, have you tried Remington? Also, have you tried to see if parts for the Browning Auto 5 or an older Remington will work? The 11-48 and Sportsman 48 were still the old basic long recoil guns.

Jim
Old December 4, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Goatwhiskers

Browning A-5 or Rem M-11 friction rings will not work--different design altogether. The 11-48 was Remington's own design of the long recoil concept and certain parts such as the friction ring have not been available from the factory for years. You have to get lucky to find parts. Goatwhiskers
Old December 4, 2009, 09:27 PM   #6
S Newton

parts

Thanks for the help. I didn't even think to check remington. They have a listing of places that may have what I need. I sent a few e-mails out with fingers crossed!!!
Old December 6, 2009, 03:25 PM   #7
S Newton

parts

I haven't had any replies on the places I found that may have parts. I took the old friction ring and squared it up and smoothed the rolls with some 320grit and then went to 600grit. I only had three shells but all went well. It is not my gun it was brought to me because I have been known to "tinker" with guns (nothing major!). Ther ring was "hanging-up". Do any of you think this solved the problem or will be only be a temp fix???