The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 3, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
andrew66

Tikka T3 lite vs Browning composite stalker

Hey, im thinking of buying a second rifle in the near future. I have looked around for a while, and have it boiled down to 2 options. The Tikka T3 lite (25-06) and the browning x-bolt composite stalker in 25-06.
The main purpose behind the gun will be hunting deer and coyotes, with a bit of range time here and there. nothing serious. (if i decide to do more range shooting i will buy a gun just for that) These rifles are very close in price, and i really like the bolts on both. I already have a browning a-bolt hunter in 7mm, and i am very happy with it. only downside is it kicks really hard with the boss cr on it.
Does anyone here have experience or advice about one or both of these guns?
thanks for your time,

andrew
Old December 3, 2009, 09:36 PM   #2
ARDogman

You'll get a lot of Tikka fans here, I'd imagine. I like the Browning A-bolt Stalker for you. You're already familiar with the ergonomics of a Browning, and I feel like that goes a long way. Nice choice on the 2506, btw, I don't have one, but I'm a fan. A .243 would probably fit the bill for you, too, as you have a 7mm (that's not to say the 2506 isn't a great choice.)
Old December 3, 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
andrew66

I am choosing the 25 cause the ballistics are similar to the 7mm. I thought about the 243, but like the 25 cause the brass isnt too bad for cost, and i can make brass by sizing 270 and 30-06. The browning is looking like a winner. although, i like the looks of the tikka. I hope someone who has shot the tikka will chime in. I want to hear the good and bad about both rifles.
Old December 4, 2009, 01:54 AM   #4
sholling

I own a couple of Tikka T3 Lites and love them but both are good rifles. I'd buy the one that felt best to me.

Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 with Limbsaver installed.

Tikka T3 Lite in 300WM (kicks like a mule) with Limbsaver installed.

Tikka T3 Super Varmint in 223.
Old December 4, 2009, 02:05 AM   #5
riggins_83

I think this will be a case of "six of one, halfdozen of the other." Nothing wrong with either, between the two I'd personally pick the Browning though I could not give a good argument why. Otherwise I'd do what I always do and get another Savage
Old December 4, 2009, 09:21 AM   #6
precision_shooter

Tikka

It would be the Tikka for me. I have a T3 Lite in .308 that is my go-to hunting rifle for Deer, Hogs, and anything else that might show up and is legal to shoot. Smoothest bolt, excellent factory trigger (user adjustable), and light enought to walk with and not get tired.

I say Tikka.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old December 4, 2009, 04:28 PM   #7
andrew66

man those tikkas look nice. The only think i dont like about the tikka (from handling in the store) (i bet they will get sick of me soon. lol. ) Is the position of the safety. although not much different from the browning, it will take a bit of getting used to. also, im not 100% on the mag release button. would be hard to get at with a glove on. The thing i dont like about browning, is the hinged mag cover. From experience, it can prove to be a pain in the ass from time to time. Just little things i guess. I wish i could shoot a tikka to see what its like.
Maybe i will just get the tikka, and if i dont like it, sell it, and get a browning....
Old December 4, 2009, 04:31 PM   #8
ARDogman

Market is getting flooded with the Tikkas. That's probably a good thing as far as Tikka is concerned, and probably speaks to their appeal. On the flip side, your secondary market prices may suffer. Just a thought.
Old December 4, 2009, 05:44 PM   #9
sdj

+1 On the Tikka. I have a T3 light in .22-250 and am currently looking a Super Varmint or Varmint in .223 as the next acquisition. I can't say enough good things about the T3; weight is very appropriate for walking, hiking, hunting. Very accurate, too.

If budget is a concern, the Tikka comes with scope rings, too.

Good luck.
Old December 4, 2009, 07:01 PM   #10
zombieslayer

Tikka's are really sweet, but I just like the A-Bolt. It's a great rifle.
Old December 4, 2009, 08:17 PM   #11
xwe666

Nothing wrong with the tikka but I prefer the x-bolt.
Old December 4, 2009, 10:35 PM   #12
Horseman

Quote:
The thing i dont like about browning, is the hinged mag cover. From experience, it can prove to be a pain in the ass from time to time.
The OP is about the new X-Bolt with the new design polymer magazine. It's a pretty slick working magazine. Much easier to work than the A-Bolt design.
Old December 7, 2009, 08:12 PM   #13
viking499

Don't know about the Browning, but I love my Tikka's...........