The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 2, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1
sigelitest

How many rounds through a sig p238

I am wondering what is the most rounds that someone has put through a Sig P238?
And if any failures.
while I am at it does anyone know what a P238 heavy duty looks like?
Old December 3, 2009, 02:31 AM   #2
DasFriek

I think i have 200 flawless rounds threw mine,and at $20 a box IF you can even find it has really slowed down my round count.
That is the only info i can get,no pics or anything else except for the laser mounted one.
Id be very interested in what the "Heavy Duty" one is all about myself.

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/now-in-s...w-p238-models/
Quote:
Sig Sauer has announced some new P238 models. These models will include the P238 Equinox, the P238 Heavy Duty, and the P238 with integrated laser sight. We will be posting additional photos and specs as soon as we can get our hands on them…. The photo to the right is the P238 with laser.
Old December 3, 2009, 01:51 PM   #3
jreXD9

about 350+ thru mine, no problems after the first 50 rds. During that first 50 I had feed/eject/fire issues. haven't had any since. sweet little shooter.
Old December 3, 2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

The heavy duty will have a steel frame, rather than aluminum. Smart move by SIG- it will get the "It's heavy, so it must be good." crowd's dollars.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:27 PM   #5
DasFriek

Quote:
The heavy duty will have a steel frame, rather than aluminum. Smart move by SIG- it will get the "It's heavy, so it must be good." crowd's dollars.
Thats a good move imo also,i know i was kinda concerned when i put my P238 in my back pocket and sat on it with my 6'4" 260lb big butt.
Had it been a DAO gun i would only worry about damage and not the gun going off,but since then ive seen how its made internally like a series 80 1911 minus the grip safety and it cant go off even by twisting and flexing the frame.

I do think the aluminum framed p238 is weighted perfectly,with a full mag of course.
I seen the Ti with rosewood grips today,its ok but i wouldnt pay as much as they was asking $650 iirc
But the Dual tone was prettier.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:36 PM   #6
HisSoldier

I didn't know about the "Heavy duty" model, for me it's not the weight but the longevity I'm looking for.

Now, if they are going to make one of stainless I won't worry about Oregon Coast rust.
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old December 3, 2009, 08:54 PM   #7
HisSoldier

Quote:
,but since then ive seen how its made internally like a series 80 1911 minus the grip safety and it cant go off even by twisting and flexing the frame.
Assuming that it's a clone of the Colt Mustang and .380 Government models the safety is what is called a lift and block safety. It lifts the hammer off the sear and blocks it so it cannot go off unless the safety is disengaged. It's hard for me to conceive of the firing pin block being effective since even if the safety accidentally gets snicked off it can't go off without pulling the trigger, and it's the trigger that lowers the FPS in a Colt Government or Mustang. If you drop it the sear could get knocked off the hammer though I suppose. (Note, the 1911 series 80 FPS gets raised, in the .380's it gets lowered)

But in the 1911 you also have the grip safety to help run interference.
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old December 3, 2009, 09:46 PM   #8
omega

Quote:
Assuming that it's a clone of the Colt Mustang and .380 Government models the safety is what is called a lift and block safety. It lifts the hammer off the sear and blocks it so it cannot go off unless the safety is disengaged. It's hard for me to conceive of the firing pin block being effective since even if the safety accidentally gets snicked off it can't go off without pulling the trigger, and it's the trigger that lowers the FPS in a Colt Government or Mustang.
Yes, the P238 is an exact clone of the Mustang, save the removable main spring housing and better sights (also has solid-cut sear, steel guide rod and slightly beveled mag well), and the safety features are identical.

The hammer block safety is all well and good, but I can't imagine ever defeating the firing pin block without actually pulling the trigger.

All in all, a dandy and safe little gun like HisSoldier says - a blocked firing pin and blocked hammer. Its big brother series 80 1911 simply goes one step further, blocking the pin, the hammer AND the trigger via the grip safety.

As far as service life, the all-steel P238 should last as long as the all-steel or nickel Mustang, which is virtually forever. A replaceable barrel bushing would be nice, but blast away.

Last edited by omega; December 3, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old December 3, 2009, 11:20 PM   #9
DasFriek

I don't see why an aluminum frame wont last forever,i guess if you put massive amounts of rounds down range it would eventually crack or break i suppose.Id suppose they use a strong alloy so hopefully it does hold up.
But hell if i shoot it that much the frame cracks ill be more than happy to buy a new one if Sig wont replace it.

Does this mean i shouldn't use the butt of the gun to crack a BG's skull with if he isn't incapacitated yet?
He would be one bad dude if he could take 17 rounds of .45acp and then 7 rounds of .380!
Old December 3, 2009, 11:26 PM   #10
sigelitest

Anyone know how +p ammo acts in the little sig i like to carry corbons
but i haven't seen anywhere where it says its ok......I do not plan on targeting with +p just like to know the thing aint gona blow the slide in my face when i need it for S.P.
Old December 3, 2009, 11:33 PM   #11
sigelitest

Dasfriek I think at that point put what’s left of your gun in your sock and swing it over your head to ward of an attacker...Sometimes that might be a better form of self defense so you don’t have to go through all of the legal battles involved In protecting yourself with a hand gun. Then can you imagine anti sock activist.
Old December 3, 2009, 11:42 PM   #12
DasFriek

Quote:
Dasfriek I think at that point put what’s left of your gun in your sock and swing it over your head to ward of an attacker...Sometimes that might be a better form of self defense so you don’t have to go through all of the legal battles involved In protecting yourself with a hand gun. Then can you imagine anti sock activist.
I think in Ohio a butter knife in your pocket is considered an illegal concealed weapon.Why they let us carry guns is kind of confusing at times.Really any pocketed knife is considered concealed and illegal,but im not so sure they enforce it unless you need more charges added.

I don't believe ive even seen +p in .380,but just finding .380 is hard enough in itself.
The best rounds so far by most people opinions are the CorBon DPX and Hornady Critical Defense which i carry those in my .380 and 9mm.
Id say tho if a P3AT and LCP can handle +p the P238 should have no issues,i just wouldn't use them alot.
Old December 4, 2009, 09:36 AM   #13
sigelitest

Dasfriek The box of 380 corbon i looked at said +p on it. I was supprised.
I keep hearing about ammo shortages, but here in the northern part of AL I have been able to get what ever i wanted so far.
380 is expensive, corbon was 27 bucks for 25 rounds. I can get 100 rounds of 40 cal target win for 27 bucks.Walmart has nothing because they are cheep The same 40 cal box is 21 so everyone buys it up
I live next to "rocket city" and the arsnel so mabie they keep it here for the local military. Back when I lived in MI
we had to go in front of a board to be voted on to get a CCW and it was around $200 + training class we had to take.
Down here it is $25 a year and 15min to run a background check at the local sherif. Luvin AL
Old December 4, 2009, 03:03 PM   #14
HisSoldier

Quote:
removable main spring housing
For the record, neither the Colt series 80 government .380 nor the Mustangs have removable mainspring housings.
Old December 4, 2009, 03:14 PM   #15
omega

Quote:
For the record, neither the Colt series 80 government .380 nor the Mustangs have removable mainspring housings.
For the record, I think that's what I said. But while we're talking about it, HisSoldier, why do you think Sig went through the effort of changing this 'minor' detail? Could it be simply the $$ savings substituting a big hunk of plastic for aluminum?
Old December 4, 2009, 04:13 PM   #16
HisSoldier

Quote:
Yes, the P238 is an exact clone of the Mustang, save the removable main spring housing and better sights
I misunderstood, you are saying the Sig has a removable main spring housing? I haven't seen one yet. And it's plastic too?
Old December 4, 2009, 04:16 PM   #17
HisSoldier

Sommamagum, I see the MSH pin now.
Old December 4, 2009, 09:51 PM   #18
itman

I have 200+ rounds with out an issue.
Old December 17, 2009, 11:56 PM   #19
Sledzep01

I have over 800 rounds now in the last 5 weeks (I cant believe that either) This is my first pistol and I am hooked bad.
The first 350 rounds were flawless. then I had some FTE (extract) and the recoil spring went bad. I sent it in to sig and they had it back in 9 days. It has been flawless since

Sled
Old December 18, 2009, 12:06 AM   #20
DasFriek

So the FTE's were the worn spring? As 350 rounds is a low count for the spring to go bad,i may look at a Wolff replacement.

.380 is still hard to find locally,and the one place that has it is limiting it to 1 box per day per customer.I have 250 rounds of fmj stock piled for a few range days.Still its $20 a box +tax for 50

Crap they dont make any springs for the P238,i think ill just order one from sig then.I think im very close or over 300 rounds now.
Old December 18, 2009, 01:03 AM   #21
Sledzep01

I am not sure, but they did also adjust the extractor. When I was getting the FTE's (last round from the magazine almost always) sometimes it was difficult to cycle. after 3 times in a row I opened it up and the spring was misshapen
They said I put the spring on backwards. I did not.
The new spring certainly seems stronger than I remembered.
I also ordered the wolff spring for the Mustang, it works great.

it is a 12lb spring Stock # 4212

Also, here are some pics I took, It looks very similar (MSH housing excluded) to the mustang to me.

http://sledzep.smugmug.com/Sports/Si...43671653_ok3F3

Sled

Last edited by Sledzep01; December 18, 2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old December 18, 2009, 07:32 PM   #22
DasFriek

Ahh the Mustang spring,i forgot that route.
Man the spring mishap did do some cosmetic damage on the recoil spring slide retainer hole.I may need to look at mine taken down but i see wear of pic 26 above the extraxtor in the pic.
http://sledzep.smugmug.com/Sports/Si...949_9BYuK-A-LB

That may explain the adjustment,i know mines rather snug still as i learned from my 5" 1911 about the bad things that happen at the wrong tension.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:14 AM   #23
sigelitest

Finally got some range time. It has been hard with Christmas being so close
I ran 350 through with no problems nice little gun (small in my hand but it fits in my pocket That’s an ok trade to me)
Old December 22, 2009, 07:15 PM   #24
Flint Ridge

I am up to 750 rounds and still having trouble. Sent it back last week, got it back this week, which is really fast. Problems are 3% Failure to Feed at this point, and that is unacceptable. Way better than what it was and no more failure to extract issues. But that means I have spent 650 rounds (100 at the factory testing). Plus 4 trips to indoor ranges, @$20 each and about $20 in gas as well. And I have something that is not reliable. Was on hold for 1:27 minutes and Sig never answered. Person I spoke with before emailed me the original shipping tag, and mercifully he responded back and is sending a mag in the hopes, that is the issue.

Love the gun, love the feel, love the look, love the size and now after all this the trigger is very nice to me. But it's intent was to carry and protect, which it is not yet worthy of.

Let's see how the mag does...
Old April 6, 2010, 05:35 PM   #25
HisSoldier

I got a P238 HD today, and will be installing one of my stainless triggers in it. When I do I'll also do a step by step photo record of the process for anyone who wants a steel trigger instead of the plastic one.

It looks like that mainspring housing is either plastic or aluminum, in either case we will be planning on making replacement MSH's of 416 stainless with serrations.

Maybe I'm the only guy who hates aluminum alloy in my guns, I dunno. The sights on this gun are tritium night sights, very nice, and they are made of blackened steel.