The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Mr.XD9mm

Has Smith & Wesson Improved the Sigma?

Hello I know that early models of the Sigma had a problem but do not know if Smith and Wesson had corrected the problem or do they still cause people trouble? Have saw at Academy they had the Sigma S&W .40cal for $319.00 didn't know if they still were having problems with them thought that was a pretty good price.
Old October 10, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
mavracer

The only complaint I've ever heard is the trigger is heavy.BTW Smith also has a $50 rebate on them now
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 10, 2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

My buddy has a new Sigma that has been flawless. As mentioned, they have a long, heavy trigger pull, but other than that, it's a good gun for the money.
Old October 10, 2009, 09:52 PM   #4
jaysouth

Pony up a couple of extra bucks and buy a Smith M&P or a Glock.

The sigma is a dying ****. It cost Smith their reputation for many years.
Old October 10, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5
durian

Found this review. No hint on date

Sigma Review

Article says that it has a 10 lb trigger pull - ouch.
Old October 11, 2009, 04:09 AM   #6
Elvishead

durian

Quote:

Sigma Review

Out in 1994 been out for 13 years?

10lbs=safety
Old October 11, 2009, 08:54 PM   #7
doc540

yes, it's been improved and Smith will further improve the trigger at no charge, will even pay shipping both ways

done it and am doing it on the one I got yesterday
Old October 11, 2009, 09:01 PM   #8
kristop64089

Stay away from the SwF, that was the "early" version, and they had frame problems.
As long as you get a SWVE, you should be good to go.
Old October 11, 2009, 09:51 PM   #9
durian

Quote:
durian

Quote:

Sigma Review

Out in 1994 been out for 13 years?

10lbs=safety

Article had no date. It alluded to being the pistol for the new Afghan National Army so it's got to be close to 2005 or later.

10 lbs=ouch comment relative to my M&P that has the stock 6.5 lb pull.
Old October 11, 2009, 10:28 PM   #10
vox rationis

Quote:
If you put in the time you can probably learn to shoot it well, but I agree, I wouldn't be thrilled with a 10lb trigger pull on a semi auto. 7 lbs is about max for me, personally, and when you go beyond 8lbs I think you are hitting diminishing returns. Then again, I can shoot my S&W revolvers with their 12lb DA pull fine, but a S&W DA revolver trigger action typically has a much better feel to me than a really heavy safe action style striker action, so I guess that that's not a good comparison .
Old October 12, 2009, 07:52 PM   #11
imp

My little brother bought a new Sigma about a year ago, and I have shot it on a couple of range sessions right beside my glock, and to be honest, I was fairly impressed. The trigger isn't the greatest in the world, heavier than that of my glock, but smoother. For someone looking for a bargain priced service pistol, it would be one of my first suggestions.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Mr.XD9mm

SWVE?

Great info about the SWF and the SWVE versions I had no idea about those distinctions. I will have to keep my eye that. Is that marked on the frame or on the slide because you know if you ask anyone at the store selling it they will tell you otherwise just to get rid of it.
Old October 13, 2009, 01:17 AM   #13
wvshooter

A Sigma is not a Glock but the inner workings are virtually identical. The grip on the Sigma is more user friendly and of course there is the trigger difference. What is amazing is being able to get something that is basically a Glock for a lot less than what a Glock costs. I have a 9VE and a 40VE. They are both 100% reliable, feel good in the hand, and carry and conceal easily in a Don Hume IWB holster. I've carried both of mine a bunch. One reason I prefer the Sigma over the Glock is the heavy trigger pull. There have been some ND's with Glocks due to the 4.5 pound trigger pull. If you ever need to use your Sigma in a SD situation you won't be aware of the trigger weight.

IMO light triggers are for competition target work. Neither the Sigma or the Glock were designed for competitive target shooting.
Old October 13, 2009, 04:57 AM   #14
Elvishead

imp

Quote:
My little brother bought a new Sigma about a year ago, and I have shot it on a couple of range sessions right beside my glock, and to be honest, I was fairly impressed. The trigger isn't the greatest in the world, heavier than that of my glock, but smoother. For someone looking for a bargain priced service pistol, it would be one of my first suggestions.
wvshooter

Quote:
One reason I prefer the Sigma over the Glock is the heavier trigger pull.

IMO light triggers are for competition target work. Neither the Sigma or the Glock were designed for competitive target shooting.

One thing people should realize is, S&W made the trigger this way on purpose. It is much safer for the average Joe (I know, your all gun experts) to not shoot him self in the foot or have any other type of unintentional discharge's.

Honestly, after shooting about a 100+ different handgun's at the range including a handful of Sigma's besides my own, I never (except one, the Ruger LCP) had felt that, not one gun had a bad trigger, or felt bad in my hand. After all, I'm not shooting a Lazyboy*, if you know what I mean, but they sure feel good ("Gun's are meant to be comforting, not comfortable! Right?") .

If you had owned one, or shot one regularly more than just a few shot's, I respect that it's not the gun for you if you didn't like it, but the rest are just blowing smoke IMO.
Old October 13, 2009, 04:59 AM   #15
Tophe

I HAD a SW9VE. I don't miss it at all. Didnt really have any major problems with it or anything. Just once I ponied up the extra money and bought my CZ I realized what I was missin...

Not too bad for the money, but you'll want to upgrade someday.
Old October 13, 2009, 02:00 PM   #16
cjw3cma

To each his or her own. My Sigma (40V) has been flawless in its operation and feeds everything I've tried through all 5 of the mags for it (all 15 rounders). Sure the trigger pull is more than other guns but over time it has lessened somewhat but I have also learned to handle the gun better than when I first got it.

When I'm not carrying my full sized 45 it's the Sigma 40v. Great gun for the money.
Old October 13, 2009, 04:09 PM   #17
doc540

$250 + lifetime warranty = good truck gun
Old October 13, 2009, 11:05 PM   #18
Samuel2001

Stay away from the early ones! I belive it was the ones with smooth frames.
The newer ones with the checkeres stippled frames are good. Been refined several timed over the years.
They make good shooters and greatr truck guns.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old November 28, 2009, 08:21 PM   #19
Wuchak

The trigger lightens with use and breaks in to feel like a DA revolver trigger. I believe this is by design as that is what they were trying to replace in the officer's holsters. Having a similar trigger pull would have made the transition easier. You can speed up the break in on the trigger with a snap cap. You only need to move the slide back about 1/4" to reset the striker so you don't have to keep ejecting and reload the cap. If you are used to shooting DA revolvers then you won't have any problem with the trigger. In fact you might be like me and prefer the similarity to the triggers you are accustomed to over the 5lb Glock triggers. The whole thing about the Sigma trigger is way overblown. They are just fine. That seems to be the only thing people can find to complain about with these guns.

I bought one of the newer VE models a couple of years ago and it's been 100% reliable with everything I've fed it. At the time I got mine they were $299 with a $50 rebate + 2 extra high cap mags. After tax that worked out to $274 for a new stainless compact 9mm with 4 high cap mags from a top tier manufacturer. It was a stupidly good deal. My only regret is that I didn't buy a couple of more at that price. At $299 with just the $50 rebate they are still a great buy. It will cost almost double the price to get a comparable gun of this quality. With the rebate these are cheaper than the blued slide version of the Kel-Tek P-3AT.

Mepro makes night sights for them for about $75 if you want to add them. The accessory rail is non-standard but you can get an adapter to standard for $10 if you want to hang something off the front.

If you do a search over at the Smith and Wesson forums smithandwessonforums.comfor "I believe this is a real value" you'll find an excellent write up on the Sigma with pictures. I cannot go to that site from this computer or I'd give you a link. Here is the same review without pictures posted on another board http://kilogulf59.proboards.com/inde...12&page=1#3400
Old November 29, 2009, 01:03 AM   #20
DAVE RICHHARDS

They are considered pretty good guns for the money now. Yes they did some changes to the design after some problems with a lawsuit involving Glocks. The only thing is as others have said the trigger is pretty heavy. But they are reliable and if you can get used to the trigger pretty accurate.
Old November 29, 2009, 02:05 AM   #21
Mr.XD9mm

Thank you

Thank ya'll for all the information. I appreciate all the experiences with this gun. Will have to shoot one and see how it feels figured for a extra gun price wasn't too bad. Still currently carry my XD but this would be another addition to the family.
Old November 29, 2009, 03:51 AM   #22
Dave85

My brother-in-law had one in .40 for a while and seemed to like it. He became an auxiliary officer in his hometown, and had to supply his own Sig, so it got sold.

It appears that article is from August of 2007.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:24 PM   #23
bmxslyguy187

I've had mine for a while.

I've probably shot 1000 rounds through it. Not a problem, ftf, fte, stovepipe, etc.

The trigger pull is hard, but I have "man" hands and its nothing for me. The trigger isn't that heavy once you shoot it a bit, but is something to anticipate when purchasing.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:55 PM   #24
dances with guns

yes s&w fixed probs with the sigma years ago, and added a "V" into the model name to indicated the improved ones.

still has the 50lb trigger pull though lol

(the early ones had problems with frames and parts breaking, and reliability issues)
Old November 30, 2009, 11:22 AM   #25
Wuchak

The trigger pull is only bad if you have girly finger strength. If you can shoot a DA revolver then you'll find the Sigma trigger is just fine. It's lighter than some new J frames and Charter's I've tried.