The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 28, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1
cptsplashdown

Kicked off range for not having NFA paperwork...

Sorry to those of you who have seen this posted in NFA and Laws, but maybe someone on the General Discussion can help...

I was at the Markham Park shooting range today in South Florida. I was shooting an MP-5SD (RDTS conversion) and after shooting it for some time was approached by a range officer who asked if I had my NFA paperwork. I said I did not. He told me I was violating federal law and that any police officer who asked me for my paperwork would arrest me on the spot. He told me I had to pack up and leave the range, which I did. I did not think this was correct, but I have had trouble finding any appropriate legal references to this issue. I know there are a lot of opinions out there, but I was hoping someone could give me a specific reference in the law that I could refer to in the case that this happens again. On the other hand, if the range officer was correct, I suppose I would like to know that as well. Anyone?
Old November 28, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
jonnyc

Wouldn't it just be easier and more worry-free to just carry a copy of the paperwork? Then you can say "Yes, go away".
Old November 28, 2009, 10:05 PM   #3
cptsplashdown

Sure, just like it would be easier for all of us to just give Barry all of our weapons and call it a day. No more worries about bothersome stuff like the Second Amendment. It is a matter of principle to me that I should not be chastised or god forbid arrested for "violating" a law which doesn't exist...
Old November 28, 2009, 10:08 PM   #4
AK103K

Why not save yourself a lot of unnecessary guessing and just call the ATF and get an answer from them. They have always been very helpful when I called, or at least my local office was. The farther you go up the line towards DC they do get dumber though.

Seriously, call the ATF and get it from the horse's mouth. If there is a reg stating you "must" have your paperwork with you, they will tell you what it is and where to look.
Old November 28, 2009, 10:36 PM   #5
AK103K

This is the closest I could find with a quick search....

The link is here...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/index.htm

CHAPTER 12. RECORDKEEPING
Section 12.1 Maintaining proof of registration. The NFA requires that a person possessing a firearm
registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) retain proof of
registration which must be made available to the Attorney General, specifically an ATF agent or
investigator, upon request.184 Proof of registration would be on a Form 1 registering a firearm to its
maker, Form 2 registering a firearm to an importer or manufacturer, or a Form 3, 4, or 5 showing
registration of a firearm to a transferee.

Most of this all deals with federal law and the ATF. You may or may not be required by your states laws to provide the same info, but I dont know, you'll have to look at that end with your state.

The range is probably more concerned with their liability than anything else. From experience, many havent any idea as to what is or isnt legal, but it is their range, so you have to choose what you want to do. Many if not most ranges these days, wont even allow them on the range, which can be frustrating, especially when the reasons they give are total BS and incorrect. Insurance also has a lot to do with it. Oh well, such is life for a tax stamp holder in the world of know it alls.
Old November 28, 2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Bud Helms
Staff

Discussion ongoing here.

Closed.