The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 24, 2009, 01:24 AM   #1
silent_warrior

M16 Bolt Carrier Group

Some people have suggested in a few threads I've looked through that M16 bolt carrier groups are better than typical M4 or civilian AR15 bolt carriers. I just want a decent explanation of why. I was just going to buy another DPMS bolt carrier group, but now I'm holding off until I hear a reasonable argument for the M16 carrier group. I have no desire to turn my rifle into a select fire weapon, I'm just looking for a good balance of reliability vs price. So why the M16 bolt carrier?
Old November 24, 2009, 05:51 AM   #2
RT

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=407555
The M16 BCG has more mass.
It's perfectly legal.
I recommend the BCM BCG.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...0auto%20mp.htm
Old November 24, 2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

The M16 bolt carrier is the amount of mass the rifle was designed to work with in the beginning and also the same bolt carrier used in the most tested version of the AR.

The two major areas of difference between the AR15 and M16 bolt carriers are that the M16 bolt carrier shrouds the firing pin. This is even more important with an AR15 style hammer since that type of hammer can catch the collar of the firing pin and bend the firing pin retaining pin if it is not shrouded.

The other major area of difference in the "tail" of the bolt. On the M16 this "tail" is longer in order to hold the hammer down longer and slow the cyclic. In the AR15 it is shorter, slightly increasing the likelihood of a stoppage if the hammer comes back too fast; but because the AR15 disconnector engages between every shot, this should not be an issue as long as the disconector does not fail. The other aspect of this is that the AR15 carrier has a slightly lighter mass due to the shorter "tail".

IMO, the firing pin shroud is a necessity. The difference in the tails isn't really that big of a deal in semi-auto fire.
Old November 24, 2009, 07:44 AM   #4
NSO_w/_SIG

Agree with the 2 previous posters and the Bravo BCG is agood one, MPI and HPT along with the good BCM name and great customer service.
Old November 24, 2009, 09:39 AM   #5
GaryM&P

BCM BCG is the best bargain you can find now.