The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 22, 2009, 10:09 AM   #1
tightgrouper

G19 or G26...

...for IWB carry?
Does the slightly shortened Glock 26 barrel, and smoothed corners around the muzzle, really make enough difference to notice for CC?
Both guns are the same width, so you're taking up the same amount of IWB space in that aspect. I'm not concerned about the grip at all, but does the half-inch difference of barrel length really make any difference in IWB CC?

Be Safe! Teach Safety!
Take handle loosely.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
zombieslayer

I don't think it'll make much difference. I like G19's myself.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
randyc74

In my opinion, the little bit of extra length in the Glock 19 makes no difference what so ever in the ease of carry between the Glock 19 and the Glock 26. Since your not concerned with the additional grip length of the 19, I would probably choose the Glock 19 as a primary carry weapon over the model 26 just for magazine capacity alone. I carry the model 23 on duty and off duty IWB. I hope this helps.

Randy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bulldo...2539637?ref=hl
Old November 22, 2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Alleykat

You don't gain any magazine capacity with a G19. You can't make a G19 shorter. What's not to like about the G26? It's smaller and lighter than the G19.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:01 PM   #5
RT

I have both and have carried both. Prefer to carry the G26 because of it's slightly smaller size.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I find the small grip makes the 26 more concealable. I shoot mine every so often in IDPA as it is a carry gun. I carry my 19 also if I have more floppy clothes.

Get both!
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old November 22, 2009, 12:37 PM   #7
guypowell

I carried a G19 (personally owned) on-off duty for 13 years and then got a G26 specifically for CCW. I wasn't very happy with it for that purpose. TO ME, it didn't really conceal any easier than my G19, it was too thick for that, but, it was too small for me to comfortably shoot. Too large to easily conceal, but too small to easily shoot. It was the first of my three Glocks to go. Now, although I said I'd never do it, I'm looking for another G19.
Old November 22, 2009, 12:48 PM   #8
AK103K

I have a 17 and a 26. I've also had 19's in the past. I dont really see the point with the 19's, they're just a compromise gun thats in the middle between the 17 and 26, and dont really give you anything that I see warrants the bother. With the 17's, you get better ballistics, and increased capacity, and the 26 is a truly smaller gun.

Carry wise, there really is no difference between the 17 and 19 IWB. The 26 does offer a slight advantage there, and I usually carry mine that way in the appendix position as a back up, where it does hide better, and more comfortably than the 17.
Old November 22, 2009, 01:51 PM   #9
tightgrouper

All input is very much appreciated.

The 17 was in mind as well. After a little thought, and learning that it's only half-inch increments between each model. The 17 might possibly be the choice, being it's only .5" longer. That little extra barrel length is good.

It's really something to think that the 26 is only 1" shorter than the 17. It seems so much smaller. Where the 26 pulls ahead is the grip. If I went with a 26, I would get the +2 mag, and it still doesn't have the bulk, and edge, of the 17 & 19 model base-plate. But you gain a little finger-catcher.

urrhgg...now I'm anxious for the week to get here.

I'm thinking a good forward cant, at 3 o'clock(ish)...would be most comfy for a 17 or 19???

Be Safe! Teach Safety!
Take handle loosely.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:12 PM   #10
randyc74

"You don't gain any magazine capacity with a G19". You can't make a G19 shorter. What's not to like about the G26? It's smaller and lighter than the G19. "

Not to start an argument, but the Glock 19's standard 15 round magazine is certainly higher capacity then the Glock 26's standard 10 round magazine. The length and weight difference's is negligible and I own and carry both. If I could only have one, it would be the model 19.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bulldo...2539637?ref=hl
Old November 22, 2009, 02:46 PM   #11
David the Gnome

I have owned both as well and after purchasing the 26 I never carried the 19 again. The shorter grip of the 26 makes it much easier to conceal than the 19. The only way I ever felt comfortable carrying the 19 was with a winter over coat or a hoodie over it.
Old November 22, 2009, 03:27 PM   #12
AK103K

I put +2 extensions on a couple of of my 26 mags. They are a big help in helping with controlling the gun while shooting, and add little in length. I have yet to get two extra rounds in the mag though, and in reality, they are a +1.

The extension that is just an extension, is actually longer than the +2 extension, and that one pinches my hand when I shoot with it, so its coming off.

With the 26, you can use any of the other mags with it, including the 32 round 18 mags. I just use my 17's reloads with both. While the longer mags do hang out, they are not at all uncomfortable to shoot with, and like the grip extensions, aid in controlling the gun while shooting.

I carry my 17 in either a Blade Tech IWB or a Milt Sparks VMII, at around 4:00. Both are comfortable, but the VMII is more stable. The Blade Tech is about 2/3s the price though. Blade Tech also offers a generic holster for the Glocks that will work with most of the models. With the 26, its basically a perfect fit, as the barrel doesnt hang out. Its goes for about $40.
Old November 22, 2009, 04:38 PM   #13
katana8869

I have both the G19 and the G26. Like another poster said, after I bought my G26, I just quit carrying the G19. I shoot both guns equally as well, the G26 is easier to conceal and if I want more capacity, I just stick a G19 mag in it. Even though the OP said that grip length is not a concern at this time, I think that the shorter grip on the G26 makes a huge difference in making it easier to carry as a CCW gun, which is why it is my choice between the two models.
Old November 22, 2009, 04:53 PM   #14
cwb

i have owned both the g19 and g26 and the g26 was perfect for me once i added the mag extension and i loved to carry that g26 man i miss it
Old November 22, 2009, 07:10 PM   #15
tightgrouper

man you guys. Thanks for the replies! Ya'll are really picking it apart, getting to things that I wouldn't realize, or question, until I've experienced some of these issues. which are leading attributes in my decision. This will be my main CC weapon for a while so I'm not wanting to learn after a few weeks that I should've gotten (the other model).

I know I mentioned that grip size is no concern, but after reading everybody's input. It sounds like the grip might just be the deciding feature with the G26. Which really takes me back to square 1. I had decided on the 26 a couple weeks ago.
Of course [compact] is high in priorities for concealment. The 26 is that. Capacity is high in my priorities, and as AK103K stated, you can go as high-cap mag per caliber/model will go. Excellent system by Glock! I can stick a 33rd mag in the G26 at the house, and CC the smooth, edgeless +2 mag.

Now I'm leaning toward the G26. I'm not much on the finger hanging off the bottom, but, I can get the "plus-2" base-plate. problem solved. I'm good with 10+1 capacity, so the finger exention is even okay with me, but I don't want to be pinched while shooting. I go through about a thousand rds a month.(that's just my carry gun). The gun-shop sells his with the finger extention, but I plan on getting the +2 mag instead. Even if it only fits 1 more round, it's less bulk at the end of the grip while still serving as something to hold and stabilize.(without pinching or digging into my hand).

Gentlemen, you don't know how much I appreciate the input. I'm very particular about things (hence this thread), and I feel I've gotten sound advice from other particular shooters.

Be Safe! Teach Safety!
Take handle loosely.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:40 PM   #16
katana8869

Great choice! Let me be the first to say congratulations and post a couple of pics to give you something to look forward to!

Don't forget to post a range report after you get yours!

Old November 22, 2009, 08:31 PM   #17
nugentjeep45

Brother, I highly recommend that you physically handle both guns. The 19 feels perfect for me, and the 26 doesn't. The 26's hump is too uncomfortable for me, but the 19 is PERFECTION! Good Luck!
Old November 22, 2009, 09:29 PM   #18
Stevie-Ray

I've heard it said by a few that own both, that the 26 is actually a tad more accurate. I own only the 26, but also find it quite accurate so who am I to argue?
Old November 22, 2009, 09:33 PM   #19
tightgrouper

Thanks katana! nice 26, and a nice group there as well!
I am looking forward to posting pics along with a bagged piece of paper. It'll probably be mid-week.

and yes sir, nugentjeep45. I will, of course, give each model some good time in my hand to see how they feel before the deal is sealed.

Be Safe! Teach Safety!
Take handle loosely.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:48 PM   #20
sdj

I have and carry both. If I had choose between the 2, I'd keep the G19 and let the G26 go. If hand strength is an issue, the G26 seems harder to cycle.

Good luck.
Old November 23, 2009, 04:14 AM   #21
PhoenixConflagration

I struggled with the same question myself. The issue isn't really length, as that just goes down your pants with IWB carry. The real issue is grip length. I ended up going with the G19, deciding that the extra capacity outweighed the shorter grip. The difference, especially if you put on a mag extension, is not that much. With a good holster, I conceal and carry my G19 all day, every day.
Old November 23, 2009, 12:13 PM   #22
collector rob

I carried a G27 for a few years and finally switched to a G23. By the time you add finger extensions to the G27 mags, the grip is the same length as the G23.
I have also seen malfunctions caused by finger extensions which have a pronounced curve on the front. The shooter was gripping the weapon tight enough that it was causing the magazine to be pulled down and would fail to feed the next round. I realize that was shooter induced, however if I need to use my weapon for defense, I would prefer to not worry about how tight I am gripping my weapon.
Just my 2 cents, YMMV.
Old November 23, 2009, 06:09 PM   #23
David the Gnome

You might find these helpful to your decision:

Old November 23, 2009, 06:54 PM   #24
vox rationis

The G19..only slightly less concealable than the G26, but a whole lot more controllable in rapid fire..the G19 I think is the sweet spot all things considered
Old November 23, 2009, 07:21 PM   #25
Konrad

I can't speak for the handling of the G19, however, I will say that when I am wearing dress attire, I have few carry options other than an ankle holster and the G26 already barely stays within the pants leg without printing.

Hence, if you are going to carry the gun concealed, one method of concealment might be precluded by having the larger gun.

Also, I find that even the baby Glock can create a bulge in my shirt if I'm wearing anything that isn't quite baggy. This is caused more with the finger extension and its caused by the grip of the gun.

Hope this helps a bit.