The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2009, 01:36 PM   #1
BigV

Small Pistol Primer Problem

Over 2 years ago I converted my TC Omega muzzleloader from using a 209 primer ignition system to small pistol primers. I use 25 ACP cases primed with small pistol primers and my breech plug takes the 25 ACP cases without any modifications. I have never had any issue with the primers not igniting until today and I have fired well over 200 of them.

A little history...
I recently acquired over 1,000 once fired pieces of 25 ACP pistol brass. I tumbled, resized, deprimed and then reprimed all 1,000 pieces with new CCI small pistol primers.

When I was finished I decided to make packages of 50 primed cases and then vacuum pack them so the brass would stay dry and not tarnish. This was about 7 days ago.

Today at the range I opened my first vacuum packed cases. Unfortunately over 50% did not fire. I had nice indentations in each of the primers so they should have fired.

I am almost sure that the vacuum packing had something to do with the misfires, but what??

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old November 17, 2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Tomas204

You sucked water into them plastic bags and Primers are NO NO`s ,sorry for your loss:barf::barf:
Old November 17, 2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Dragon55

Agree with Tomas............. sounds like they sweated in the plastic.

Remember the primers are not hermetically sealed when you buy them.